The Student Room Group

Are there any circumstances you would consider renouncing your British citizenship??

Just wondering are there any circumstances, if it all, you would consider renouncing your British citizenship?

For example if I were to emigrate to the US or Australia, and live there for the rest of my life, that would open the door to possibly doing something like that. I would see no point in holding citizenships of countries I'm never going to live in again, and therefore I would just apply for citizenship of my new country and renounce my British one. Of course that would therefore mean I would have to apply for visas to get back into the UK if I ever wanted to visit.

Are there any circumstances in which you would consider renouncing your British citizenship? Even if you were to emigrate and never to return say?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I were offered a couple of million, sure. I hold more than one citizenship anyway, and one of the other countries I have a citizenship in is in the EU.
I can't think of anything now, but if something really catastrophic happened that made me want to have nothing to do with the country then I may consider it. I'd rather add citizenships than take them away. I am nearly eligible for Irish citizenship, but don't fulfil all of the requirements as far as I know.
Nope, never.

I love my country in the good times and I will love my country in any and all bad times.
Why would you renounce citizenship from one of the best countries in the world? 'Best' is relative but I mean in terms of economy and things like that. You can't be that bitchy. Even if you move to the US and never return back or whatever, wouldn't it be nice to have EU citizenship? You can just come and take a holiday without a visa.

People renouncing their citizenship for political reasons and such need to find better things to do with their time.
If someone held a gun to my head and told me to I probably would.
Reply 7
When it becomes the Islamic Republic of Britain.
Original post by pane123
When it becomes the Islamic Republic of Britain.

Or the Romanian, Polish or just generally the Eastern European Republic of Britain, right?
Reply 9
Original post by President Putin
Or the Romanian, Polish or Eastern European Republic of Britain, right?

No, just Islamic.
Or the Romanian, Polish or just generally the Eastern European Republic of Britain, right?

Poles are typically respectful and are western minded Europeans.

To your answer, no I doubt it, having as many passports as possible is generally a bonus.
What's the point? What is there to gain?
Well considering I've only lived here 2 years and will only stay for another 2 or 3, not much! Just need something else to fall back on, will probably try to go for a Swiss passport or something
Original post by AuldReekie123
Poles are typically respectful and are western minded Europeans.

They are stealing your jobs though, aren't they? :tongue:

Why did you jump to this conclusion, out of interest?
Definitely. If I managed to learn swedish and moved to sweden and liked it there, I'd be more than happy to remove any connection to this country!
Original post by pane123
Why did you jump to this conclusion, out of interest?

Paid too much attention to the intellectuals supporting UKIP, unfortunately.
Reply 17
If any country I'm living in at the time became embroiled in war, or civil war, or became a communist state, or adopted Sharia Law, I would leave as quickly as possible. Some history lessons have stuck, I guess.

I'm absolutely fine with people choosing to live in such regimes, but I'm not fine with having them imposed upon myself, so that's why I would emigrate. My job is of a fairly international nature though, so I'm always country-hopping anyway.
They are stealing your jobs though, aren't they? :tongue:

There's no set number of jobs in an economy, so no. Plus, I'm going to be an engineering grad so the jobs market is pretty good. They could be said to be driving wages down, which is a fair point, but overall EU immigration is beneficial to the UK I'd say.

Eastern Europeans invariably integrate over one single generation. Went to school with loads of kids of Polish decent and they were 100% identical to the rest of us in every meaningful sense.

Not to say that E.European immigration doesn't bring it's own issues in the short term, but it's incomparable to many Islamic immigrants over the long term who have and will continue drastically change communities.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending