The Student Room Group

Percentage error Chemistry help???

Hi all,

I am undertaking the section 3 of my Chemistry coursework and I'm having problems writing the 'Uncertainty' section when calculating the percentage error of each step of my method.

I have investigated 5 different temperatures (0,10,20,30,40 and the error uncertainty is +-0.5degrees), and therefore have to calculate the percentage error of the reading. However, it just doesn't make sense when I put the values into the formula: (error uncertainty/reading)*100.

For example, when using 0degrees, I get (0.5/0)*100 which is impossible.

Could anyone explaing to me how to work it out and/or work it out for me please?

Thanks.
Original post by Marseille013
Hi all,

I am undertaking the section 3 of my Chemistry coursework and I'm having problems writing the 'Uncertainty' section when calculating the percentage error of each step of my method.

I have investigated 5 different temperatures (0,10,20,30,40 and the error uncertainty is +-0.5degrees), and therefore have to calculate the percentage error of the reading. However, it just doesn't make sense when I put the values into the formula: (error uncertainty/reading)*100.

For example, when using 0degrees, I get (0.5/0)*100 which is impossible.

Could anyone explaing to me how to work it out and/or work it out for me please?

Thanks.

Do it in Kelvin not celcius
Original post by langlitz
Do it in Kelvin not celcius

But what would the error uncertainty be? Would it stay at +-0.5degrees or would it change, the latter option seems more logical but don't know about I would change that
Original post by Marseille013
But what would the error uncertainty be? Would it stay at +-0.5degrees or would it change, the latter option seems more logical but don't know about I would change that

The error does not change as the measurements/errors you made were always in kelvin really, you chose to express them as celcius. You should always use kelvin, it is the SI unit for temperature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest