The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Men want virgins to marry. Let me explain please.

Scroll to see replies

I think the closest to this I've had is me and my first sex losing our virginities together. Seems a bit weird to want only virgins though.
Reply 241
It's so exciting to see blood in the sheets.
Original post by Ekemini
I don't know why but that is really how it is where I am. My dad said if a man sees his son sleeping around with girls he would be like "That's my boy" or would turn a blind eye but that same man if he had a daughter would lock her up high In a tower like Rapunzel if he could. Girls are expected to keep themselves till marriage. My dad says is even better for the girl so if she is having an argument with her husband he cant say something like "Oh please, pot calling kettle black. You were not a virgin when you married me. How would I know how many men you have spread your legs wide open for?"
Its just how it is where I am from.

Well it's a ridiculous mentality/ double standard and I advise you try and apply reason to counteract it.
Original post by Slim and proud
The naivety of it....; essentially it's in the wrong type of forum.

Well much as I dislike OP being oppressed and all, not everyone wants a Thursday night gang bang ya know
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Well much as I dislike OP being oppressed and all, not everyone wants a Thursday night gang bang ya know

Haha, I know. I actually am fond of the OP and her quirkiness. It's refreshing to see someone so honest and not bothered about what others think.

I think it's good she's not giving it away cheaply. What bothers me is that the nature of her view is being shaped by her dad and also is double sided.

I would be more empathetic if she was saving it for her own sense of worth, rather than for others' benefits.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ekemini
God knows that and understands that. He loves virgins and non-virgins. Though it is important for both parties to abstain from sexual immoraility

Deuteromy 22vs 25-26 But if in the field the man finds the girl who is engaged, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lies with her shall die. 26"But you shall do nothing to the girl; there is no sin in the girl worthy of death, for just as a man rises against his neighbor and murders him, so is this case
Engaged could also mean virgin

Yes but would the raped girls' future husband understand?
Original post by Ekemini
Ok I know the title might offend some people. I am notcalling girls who are not virgin’s sluts. Over there in America or UK it isprobably not a big deal but here it is. I am African and we value values. Ifyou are not a virgin and you get married, the husband would find out (obviously)and you become a disgrace to yourself as well as your family... My dad puts itlike this: you can’t have your cake and eat it too. To Africans (ok Nigerians)the men would want you to be a virgin. My dad says that’s why I should beware ofboys. They would sleep around and do what they want but when they are lookingfor a wife they would be looking for a virgin. He gave me an example. At a friend’swedding after the ceremony a couple of men stood and started talking about thebride. What were they saying? Well they were talking about how they each hadhad a piece of the girl. They were boasting and bragging. She wasn’t a virginand all those men had slept with her. I can’t really remember if the groom overheardthem but my dad asks that why would a girl want that kind of a reputation? Why couldn’tshe just wait? Why is she such in a hurry? It’s a thing of pride if a father cangive off his daughter as a virgin. It shows that the girl was brought up rightand society would respect those parents. The questions and statements made in the last few lines were made by my dad, not me. What do you guys think?

This is largely a case of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everything you're saying only applies because the society in question already prizes female virginity. For example, let's take the wedding story and suppose it took place in Britain - suppose a bride invited a couple of her ex-boyfriends to her wedding (hardly unheard of) and at it they stood 'boasting' about how they'd had sex with her while they'd been together. It would probably be a little embarrassing to her, but the men would be considered to be making fools of themselves much more than her - no-one would be surprised or shocked at the revelation that a woman had sex with a boyfriend in a relationship that she considered had been serious enough to warrant inviting him to her wedding.

As for the main question more generally, remaining a virgin until you get married - bad idea. Seriously, how on earth can you commit to only having sex with one person for the rest of your life if you've no idea what sex with them, or even sex at all, is like? I've read quite a few stories of couples who waited until they got married to have sex, only to find out they had no sexual chemistry - a huge amount of time, money, embarrassment and most importantly unhappiness could have been avoided had they been genuinely intimate earlier in their relationship and realised it wasn't working.
Original post by Joshale
actually I would never marry a virgin

Why? I think that premarital intercourse is wrong and people should save themselves and keep their purity until they find the person they want to marry and spend the rest of their lives lovingly devoted towards.

While celibacy is an extremely good thing to do, it shouldn't be 'celebrated' because somebody has managed to keep themselves - it should be the norm, but sadly not any more.
Original post by anarchism101
This is largely a case of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everything you're saying only applies because the society in question already prizes female virginity. For example, let's take the wedding story and suppose it took place in Britain - suppose a bride invited a couple of her ex-boyfriends to her wedding (hardly unheard of) and at it they stood 'boasting' about how they'd had sex with her while they'd been together. It would probably be a little embarrassing to her, but the men would be considered to be making fools of themselves much more than her - no-one would be surprised or shocked at the revelation that a woman had sex with a boyfriend in a relationship that she considered had been serious enough to warrant inviting him to her wedding.

As for the main question more generally, remaining a virgin until you get married - bad idea. Seriously, how on earth can you commit to only having sex with one person for the rest of your life if you've no idea what sex with them, or even sex at all, is like? I've read quite a few stories of couples who waited until they got married to have sex, only to find out they had no sexual chemistry - a huge amount of time, money, embarrassment and most importantly unhappiness could have been avoided had they been genuinely intimate earlier in their relationship and realised it wasn't working.

You could still be very intimate without being sexual - for a start, you would have a very close bond with someone like with no other person. I think that not even kissing until marriage is a bit too much, though; you don't have to go as far as making out for it to be special. Also, many couples have remained virgins until marriage and have been extremely happy - keeping themselves for each other alone has made their bond even stronger. It's so typical - we only ever hear of the failed ones :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Banana00
Why? I think that premarital intercourse is wrong and people should save themselves and keep their purity until they find the person they want to marry and spend the rest of their lives lovingly devoted towards.

While celibacy is an extremely good thing to do, it shouldn't be 'celebrated' because somebody has managed to keep themselves - it should be the norm, but sadly not any more.

Why? because it's either

1) they're ugly and obviously a virgin
2) some religious BS which I don't agree with
3) inexperienced
4) I'm not waiting five years or so to marry them and then finally get sex, I have a high sex drive.
The more the bedroom looks like a crime scene, the better IMO
Haha, I know. I actually am fond of the OP and her quirkiness. It's refreshing to see someone so honest and not bothered about what others think.

I think it's good she's not giving it away cheaply. What bothers me is that the nature of her view is being shaped by her dad and also is double sided.

I would be more empathetic if she was saving it for her own sense of worth, rather than for others' benefits

/thread :smile:
Reply 252
Original post by Pro_crastinator
Yes but would the raped girls' future husband understand?
He should because it wasn't the girls fault. But I have read a book (the atonement child)where this Christian girl was raped and her hypocrite Fiancé who wanted to become a pastor couldn't even look at her. Did not offer her support. Basically acted like it was her fault. I almost tore the book. But her future husband showed her support and helped her regain faith in God
Reply 253
Original post by TheWaffle
Well it's a ridiculous mentality/ double standard and I advise you try and apply reason to counteract it.

If you read further you would have seen it is not My mentality even though I want to be a virgin when I get married but so also do I want the guy I am getting married to be a virgin as well.
Reply 254

I would be more empathetic if she was saving it for her own sense of worth, rather than for others' benefits.

I am because I personally cannot think of having casual sex with anybody. just cant do it. I have tried imagining myself as that kind of person but no. No no no no no oh no( forgive me)It may look like I am following my dads views but trust me I want to keep this thing till marriage.
Reply 255
Original post by Banana00
You could still be very intimate without being sexual - for a start, you would have a very close bond with someone like with no other person. I think that not even kissing until marriage is a bit too much, though; you don't have to go as far as making out for it to be special. Also, many couples have remained virgins until marriage and have been extremely happy - keeping themselves for each other alone has made their bond even stronger. It's so typical - we only ever hear of the failed ones :frown:

The one I know I wont be able to do is not kiss till marriage. That is...that is..... Oh my goodness no
Disgusting double standards. Nothing more to add.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ekemini
I am because I personally cannot think of having casual sex with anybody. just cant do it. I have tried imagining myself as that kind of person but no. No no no no no oh no( forgive me)It may look like I am following my dads views but trust me I want to keep this thing till marriage.

I wonder why if you were brainwashed to believe you must stay a virgin from a young age...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Original post by anarchism101

And if it works out. Those of us who ant to keep it aren't stupid. This goes for both boys an girls. I think it is cute(no not cute but wonderful) if a boy saves it for that special person. How on earth could I commit to one person? It may not be easy but I will sure as hell try.
Reply 259
Original post by SarcasticMel
I wonder why if you were brainwashed to believe you must stay a virgin from a young age...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't brain washed. It may be what society expects of me but that is their business. It is what I want for myself. I would also like it if the men remained virgins as well. I have heard of a few men who are virgins(not because they cant get any) but because they want the sex to be special
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending