The Student Room Group

Should biological parenthood be licensed/regulated?

We regulate things whose misuse can cause suffering. So we have driving licenses to ensure drivers do not endanger people's lives when they drive. We have plane licenses/regulations to ensure the safety of people flying. Why is it that there is no debated about whether having children should be regulated?
There are several arguments against, namely, the feasibility argument and the "my body is mine, children are made from my body ergo children are mine" argument but are they valid or strong enough against the suggestion of regulating parenthood?

Adults wanting to adopt go through a notoriously complicated bureocratic maze to ensure that the child will be fine. Why is there is no similar protection for children against their biological parents? Or why should non-biological children be more entitled to safeguarding than biological children?

Discuss!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's really creepy how TSR members are so open to the government ceasing human rights at whim. So often I see members advocating court ordered castrations, executions, sterilisations etc. I don't understand that in the wake of the NSA scandal, people are still encouraging totalitarianism. Tragic tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Truths
It's really creepy how TSR members are so open to the government ceasing human rights at whim. So often I see members advocating court ordered castrations, executions, sterilisations etc. I don't understand that in the wake of the NSA scandal, people are still encouraging totalitarianism. Tragic tbh.

If you accept that non-biological parenthood is regulated, why wouldn't you accept that biological parenthood also gets regulated? There are strong arguments for accepting and refusing the regulation of biological parenthood, btw. It's not about ceasing human rights but about decreasing some humans' rights (parenthood freedom) to increase some other humans' rights (safety).
Reply 3
Original post by Juichiro
If you accept that non-biological parenthood is regulated, why wouldn't you accept that biological parenthood also gets regulated? There are strong arguments for accepting and refusing the regulation of biological parenthood, btw. It's not about ceasing human rights but about decreasing some humans' rights (parenthood freedom) to increase some other humans' rights (safety).

C'mon dude. You know this isn't a real conversation.
Reply 4
Original post by Truths
C'mon dude. You know this isn't a real conversation.

I don't know what you mean. I gave a topic to discuss and you are not discussing it.
Reply 5
I don't know what you mean. I gave a topic to discuss and you are not discussing it.

Lol I apologize. I thought it was an actual genuine question you were asking, not a philosophical debate. I forgot what section we're in.

But here's a starter - It's not practical.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Truths
Lol I apologize. I thought it was an actual genuine question you were asking, not a philosophical debate. I forgot what section we're in.

But here's a starter - It's not practical.

Where's the starter? Also, I don't see how a genuine question cannot be philosophical. What's your contribution to the subject matter?
Reply 7
Where's the starter? Also, I don't see how a genuine question cannot be philosophical. What's your contribution to the subject matter?

The starter is that it's not practical. You can't control when or if everyone gives birth, and when they do, they are too many people having children to do thorough background checks on, like how we do for adopting parents.
Reply 8
Original post by Truths
The starter is that it's not practical. You can't control when or if everyone gives birth, and when they do, they are too many people having children to do thorough background checks on, like how we do for adopting parents.

Fair points. I know it's not feasible but compulsory regular medical checks for everybody could increase awareness of when/if someone gives birth. You can tackle child abuse by controlling who reproduces (too controversial) or educating the population (too expensive - i.e. increase length of compulsory education).
Reply 9
An ill thought out question. I would be funny if immigrants came to Britain with loads of kids while British people have to jump through hoops to have kids./

People will just go abroad to have kids and bring them back into Britain or just emigrate to get away from a state with too much power.
Reply 10
Original post by Maker
An ill thought out question. I would be funny if immigrants came to Britain with loads of kids while British people have to jump through hoops to have kids./

People will just go abroad to have kids and bring them back into Britain or just emigrate to get away from a state with too much power.

Nope. The idea is that parenthood is licensed not that giving birth is licensed. So giving birth abroad does not make you unreachable by the hypothetical licensed parenthood policy. Just like you need to have relevant documentation to adopt or to operate dangerous machinery, you would also need a license to have children. See Google having to shut down business in China. It's a good analogy.
We will be regulating who can have children one day, but not before millions of people starve to death. Hell, it's already started in Africa, they keep breeding there expanding their population but have no means to feed them all.
Original post by Truths

And what about the totalitarian grip parents can freely exercise over their children? Such as a child who is gay and is forced to live in a household where they are bullied and denied their sexuality?

Regardless of the OP's proposals, parents have far too much power and control over their children.
Original post by Truths

Then make it illegal not to submit certain information upon giving birth, such as criminal convictions. Then you would just be prosecuting the small number of lazy/deceptive parents who fail to submit this information.
Reply 14
Nope. The idea is that parenthood is licensed not that giving birth is licensed. So giving birth abroad does not make you unreachable by the hypothetical licensed parenthood policy. Just like you need to have relevant documentation to adopt or to operate dangerous machinery, you would also need a license to have children. See Google having to shut down business in China. It's a good analogy.

So the taxpayer will have to look after loads of kids, why should I have to pay for other people's kids and why should the govt give me that burden? Some suggestions are just plain stupid and this is one of them.

A more sensible question is why don't we train hippos to tap dance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Most kids in care and up for adoption probably had a pretty rough life before/during that, so wanting to make sure parents who are adopting are the best fit to deal with that is a good idea.

We do need to listen to and look out for vulnerable kids. though. That's the problem - there are so many cases about systems messing up, ignoring at risk kids, and our child care systems can't be too great since idk anybody in care who came out of it a happy, well rounded person. We ignore subtle forms of abuse (i.e. emotional abuse) and pretend people being bad parents is just their 'method' which is gross imo.
Reply 16
Original post by Lady Comstock
And what about the totalitarian grip parents can freely exercise over their children? Such as a child who is gay and is forced to live in a household where they are bullied and denied their sexuality?

Regardless of the OP's proposals, parents have far too much power and control over their children.

In our country we have a help line dedicated for those kind of children. The majority if parents raise their child efficiently. And again, assigning a social worker to every family is a waste of resources and is not even possible anyway.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Then make it illegal not to submit certain information upon giving birth, such as criminal convictions. Then you would just be prosecuting the small number of lazy/deceptive parents who fail to submit this information.

Something as cumbersome as the adoption process takes like 6 years to finalise. So if that is our standard for every family, that is way too time consuming and redundant. And against human rights I'm sure.
We regulate things whose misuse can cause suffering. So we have driving licenses to ensure drivers do not endanger people's lives when they drive. We have plane licenses/regulations to ensure the safety of people flying. Why is it that there is no debated about whether having children should be regulated?
There are several arguments against, namely, the feasibility argument and the "my body is mine, children are made from my body ergo children are mine" argument but are they valid or strong enough against the suggestion of regulating parenthood?

Adults wanting to adopt go through a notoriously complicated bureocratic maze to ensure that the child will be fine. Why is there is no similar protection for children against their biological parents? Or why should non-biological children be more entitled to safeguarding than biological children?

Discuss!

Driving and flying are not natural human functions. Reproduction is one of the basic features of life. There's quite a big difference between regulating a natural function like having babies and regulating driving a car. I'm not entirely sure if entrusting the government with powers over basic bodily functions is a great idea.
Reply 18
Original post by Maker
So the taxpayer will have to look after loads of kids, why should I have to pay for other people's kids and why should the govt give me that burden? Some suggestions are just plain stupid and this is one of them.

A more sensible question is why don't we train hippos to tap dance.

Any of the two methods, educating the population or regulating reproduction would drive birth rates down.
Reply 19
Original post by Chlorophile
Driving and flying are not natural human functions. Reproduction is one of the basic features of life. There's quite a big difference between regulating a natural function like having babies and regulating driving a car. I'm not entirely sure if entrusting the government with powers over basic bodily functions is a great idea.

You can give the government power over people's reproduction or you can give individuals (parents) power over another individual's (child) education, physical and mental health. Both are similarly bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending