The Student Room Group

Ethanol into Ethanoic Acid

HELP! I'm currently doing some homework and have come across a question asking why the conversion of ethanol into ethanoic acid is an oxidation reaction? I have a few idea's but am not entirely confident. Does anybody know for sure? Thanks!
Reply 1
Ethanol is an alcohol so has an OH group. It is CH3CH2OH.

Ethanoic acid is a carboxylic acid so has a COOH group. It is CH3COOH.

The molecule has gained an oxygen and lost a hydrogen.

The definition of an oxidation reaction is the loss of an electron. I can't really show you the mechanism of this on a computer but that has happened here.

I hoped this helped a little bit.
Reply 2
Original post by _Caz_
Ethanol is an alcohol so has an OH group. It is CH3CH2OH.

Ethanoic acid is a carboxylic acid so has a COOH group. It is CH3COOH.

The molecule has gained an oxygen and lost a hydrogen.

The definition of an oxidation reaction is the loss of an electron. I can't really show you the mechanism of this on a computer but that has happened here.

I hoped this helped a little bit.

That really helped! I had a little idea but just needed more information to understand :smile: Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by AbbieFa
That really helped! I had a little idea but just needed more information to understand :smile: Thank you

:smile: I wasn't sure how much information you wanted. Are you doing AS level chemistry? Glad it helped a little bit.
Reply 4
Original post by _Caz_
:smile: I wasn't sure how much information you wanted. Are you doing AS level chemistry? Glad it helped a little bit.

Nope, GCSE tripple chemistry. This is the hardest topic for sure! I'm struggling very much, especially with some of the questions i am currently doing. Did/are you doing AS chemistry? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AbbieFa
Nope, GCSE tripple chemistry. This is the hardest topic for sure! I'm struggling very much, especially with some of the questions i am currently doing. Did/are you doing AS chemistry? :smile:

I'm doing A2 chemistry at the moment. Chemistry gets a lot harder at a level, there is a lot more of the whole organic (carbon containing compounds) chemistry in there. But I found chemistry pretty difficult at GCSE too. Is it a subject you want to continue at college with?
Reply 6
Original post by _Caz_
I'm doing A2 chemistry at the moment. Chemistry gets a lot harder at a level, there is a lot more of the whole organic (carbon containing compounds) chemistry in there. But I found chemistry pretty difficult at GCSE too. Is it a subject you want to continue at college with?

Ah, I can image. I have chosen to take chemistry A level as I wanted to continue with a science although I am still unsure whether to go with Biology instead.
Reply 7
Original post by AbbieFa
Ah, I can image. I have chosen to take chemistry A level as I wanted to continue with a science although I am still unsure whether to go with Biology instead.

can't really help you there - I got rid of biology after GCSE. I hear they're both pretty tough subjects though so just do the one you seem to enjoy more :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by _Caz_
can't really help you there - I got rid of biology after GCSE. I hear they're both pretty tough subjects though so just do the one you seem to enjoy more :smile:

Ah, It's a hard decision but I do enjoy chemistry more so I think i'll go with that one. Would you recommend it for A Level? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AbbieFa
Ah, It's a hard decision but I do enjoy chemistry more so I think i'll go with that one. Would you recommend it for A Level? :smile:

Yeah I've found it okay so far. It just has difficult exams.:unimpressed:
Reply 10
Original post by _Caz_
Yeah I've found it okay so far. It just has difficult exams.:unimpressed:

Ah right, I can't wait :frown: As long as there are no mole calculations i'll be fine although I have a feeling there will be!
Reply 11
Original post by AbbieFa
Ah right, I can't wait :frown: As long as there are no mole calculations i'll be fine although I have a feeling there will be!

Yeah I'm not going to lie, there are - but don't worry you do get used to them! :smile:
Reply 12
Ughh, i'll have to cross that bridge until I come to it! For now, i'll focus on the GCSE topics, ha :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by AbbieFa
Ughh, i'll have to cross that bridge until I come to it! For now, i'll focus on the GCSE topics, ha :smile:

Good plan! I hope your exams go great for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I hope so too :smile: Thanks again for answering my question

Quick Reply

Latest