The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How are we supposed to refer to black people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Oh well. I like it. Sorry negro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's obvious your trolling you little keyboard warrior. Grow up!
Original post by RFUR1
It's obvious your trolling you little keyboard warrior. Grow up!

Why? Negro is a perfectly apt word. ****** is the racist one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 202
Why? Negro is a perfectly apt word. ****** is the racist one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is derogatory and offensive. Many people on this thread have explained why it is. I suggest you go back and read the earlier comments.
Original post by RFUR1
It is derogatory and offensive. Many people on this thread have explained why it is. I suggest you go back and read the earlier comments.

I suggest you get used to not being able to dictate what one can utter or not. Negro is not racist, I like it. I don't care if you find it offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 204
I suggest you get used to not being able to dictate what one can utter or not. Negro is not racist, I like it. I don't care if you find it offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can say whatever you want, even if what you are saying is backward and offensive but you can't complain when people pull you up on it. As I said grow up. Everything is not about you or how you feel. The majority of people of black heritage have said they find negro offensive so why you would want to use a word that offends the very people you are describing is beyond me unless your looking for trouble or being an attention seeker. Focus on doing more important things in life.

I feel sorry for you and the people who know you (family, friends, girlfriend). How is your girlfriend by the way? I read that she had a miscarriage (a while back), I hope she is ok and back to her normal self.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RFUR1
You can say whatever you want, even if what you are saying is backward and offensive but you can't complain when people pull you up on it. As I said grow up. Everything is not about you or how you feel. The majority of people of black heritage have said they find negro offensive so why you would want to use a word that offends the very people you are describing is beyond me unless your looking for trouble or being an attention seeker. Focus on doing more important things in life.

I feel sorry for you and the people who know you (family, friends, girlfriend). How is your girlfriend by the way? I read that she had a miscarriage (a while back), I hope she is ok and back to her normal self.

When did I complain? Lul what. You're the one complaining. And how is the last part even remotely relavent. That was years ago, two now I believe (not with that person anymore)
And why is it backward? It's a technical term. Anything can be found offensive.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 206
When did I complain? Lul what. You're the one complaining. And how is the last part even remotely relavent. That was years ago, two now I believe (not with that person anymore)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You complained when I objected to your use of the word negro and whether it was offensive. You started with the whole 'I can say what I want', 'I don't care whether you or others find it offensive' rubbish. The last part is relevant as I wanted to demonstrate that there are more important things in life than trying to piss people off and to focus on those things.

The term is backward. It is seen as offensive by many as I have already said. Who is even uses that word anymore? Say that word in public, at uni or at work and you will most likely cause an argument and/or fight, be told that word is not acceptable or pulled up and possibly disciplined.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RFUR1
You complained when I objected to your use of the word negro and whether it was offensive. You started with the whole 'I can say what I want', 'I don't care whether you or others find it offensive' rubbish. The last part is relevant as I wanted to demonstrate that there are more important things in life than trying to piss people off and to focus on those things.

The term is backward. It is seen as offensive by many as I have already said. Who is even uses that word anymore? Say that word in public, at uni or at work and you will most likely cause an argument and/or fight, be told that word is not acceptable or pulled up and potentially disciplined.

No. You complained at my usage of Negro. I just responded to such. You can use your eyes to look up and see as such. That demonstrated nought as I never held to the ideal of infuriating people for the sake; you're projecting your own pigments of what I am unto me. Have you considered I find Negro a genuine term? Of course not because you must be right by etic of being the grieved party. I've said it before and worse. In public. Though you gave no resolute prescription as to why it's backwards. Again, mere subjectivism. You can continue to reply if you wish, I shan't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 208
No. You complained at my usage of Negro. I just responded to such. You can use your eyes to look up and see as such. That demonstrated nought as I never held to the ideal of infuriating people for the sake; you're projecting your own pigments of what I am unto me. Have you considered I find Negro a genuine term? Of course not because you must be right by etic of being the grieved party. I've said it before and worse. In public. Though you gave no resolute prescription as to why it's backwards. Again, mere subjectivism. You can continue to reply if you wish, I shan't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course I considered that you find negro a genuine term. I then told you it was an offensive and derogatory term to which you arrogantly said 'Oh well. I like it. Sorry negro.' which in itself is pretty offensive.

The majority of people know that negro is a backward term and know why, I honestly can't be bothered to explain it to you as other people have already done so. So you can either read the earlier comments explaining why or ask any of your friends who are black, if you have any, which judging by your ignorance I would say no. Better yet ask a random black person on the street why and you'll definitely find out why.

You said:

'I've said it before and worse'.

What could you have that is worse than a term which is seen as being offensive and derogatory by the majority of society? It wasn't a racist term by any chance was it? Like the N word? Your probably just a closet racist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Kneegrows
How pointless is this argument. Call blacks black like you'd call whites white. It isn't rocket science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
Original post by Michael_Real
How pointless is this argument. Call blacks black like you'd call whites white. It isn't rocket science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, it is not rocket science as yourself and others have said in this thread. Why would you call people something which offends them while claiming you do not want to offend them and then insist you are going to continue using the word which is offensive to the people you claim not to be offending. It's stupid and lacks logic unless the person really does want to offend the people he's/she's claiming not to want to offend.
Reply 212
I think melanin buckets is currently the PC term

Posted from TSR Mobile
The whole idea of terms being "acceptable" one year and "offensive" the next is to leave people reluctant to open their mouths, lest they use an "incorrect" expression. In this you can see that the over-arching purpose of political correctness is not "politeness" as the useful idiots would have it, but to terrify the population into a spiral of silence on subjects such as multiculturalism and whites being rendered a minority in certain areas of England.
Just call them black people. I'm black and it's just a description of the colour of our skin. Don't use the word coloured though, it had negative connotations associated with it
Original post by PrimeBird
Just call them black people. I'm black and it's just a description of the colour of our skin. Don't use the word coloured though, it had negative connotations associated with it

Why is "person of colour" seemingly acceptable these days, but not "coloured"?
Original post by Wōden
Why is "person of colour" seemingly acceptable these days, but not "coloured"?

In the US context, it's because "colored" was the term most commonly used by Jim Crow, and so still carries that connotation to many people. In a British context, I'm not sure. Though personally I don't like either as both simply mean "not white" rather than referring to any other particular group, similar to the "one drop rule".
black people
Just say black people?? Whenever someone says "coloured" I side-eye them. Like really, it's almost 2017.
Black.

Obviously if you both know the name it is offensive to just call someone black as it would be just calling someone white.

But if I was pointing out my friend Ben he is black.
My friend Jon He is white.

I dont feel the need to say Black person nor do I say he is a White person unless needed

Latest

Trending

Trending