The Student Room Group

What will our generation frown upon, that our grandchildren will find acceptable?

Something I've been thinking about a lot recently.

LGBT+ rights have been the big thing of the last few years. Most youngsters fully embrace and support this, but our grandparents are far more split on the issues, many preferring more traditional values.

Going back to when they were our age, the suffrage movement and women getting the vote was the movement back then. Again older people (even some women) were less open to the change.

When we're pensioners what do you think will become acceptable that we may frown upon?

Group marriages is one, perhaps.

Scroll to see replies

Polygamy, I've almost no doubt.
I think smoking, eating fatty foods, etc. will be outlawed and immoral in society.

People will get tired of democracy, and not vote at all, but still would want the freedoms of it.

Fossil fuels will be immoral (or more their use) as electric, solar, even nuclear fusion will take their place.

Capitalism wouldn't exist, as we know it know, since it's unsustainable especially if India/China get rich.

There will be a world population cap, and most countries will have a similar policy to China (,i.e. one child..)
Acknowledgement of gender will be seen as very old fashioned, to the point that the words 'he' and 'she' will be replaced by a non-gendered term, maybe 'they'. Androgyny will be the norm.
Robot marriage
Smoking might come close to a total ban. Alcohol may become the next tobacco, ie. Advertising bans, massive taxes, particularly on spirits. I know more and more people who are now teetotal, so I think that it might go that way.

To me, cannabis has become more acceptable in the last few years, and it seems to be way more popular than before.

As a sporting shooter, the public and police seem to be becoming more anti-firearm, so in the future I could imagine more restrictions on licences, tests, etc.

The freedom of speech and political correctness situation is difficult, but nowadays people speak their mind more, and aren't as tentative as they were 10 years ago when I was at school, where the headteacher refused to use the word "Christmas" and stopped Christmas celebrations. There are more and more organisations and groups opposing political correctness, and defending freedom of speech, so I imagine people will become more open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drug use. Our grandchildren will be laughing at our so called 'war on drugs'
Also, factory farming. Not saying necessarily all our grandchildren will be hippy vegans, but i think eventually we will view the way we treat animals now as the equivalent of human slavery. Meat production in the future will be predominantly lab made or from local small scale farms. Might take a few more generations though.
I'd say government involvement in population control, maybe not grandchildren, but great grandchildren for sure. I think things like a 2 child policy for countries which require it for stabilization will end up catching on and becoming a social norm, people with 5-6 children will be frowned upon as uncivilized.

Also more government tracking of people, I honestly do think we'll get to a point where we have some sort if ID implant. Firstly it'll be some companies (as is happening now), playing it as convenient, lets you open doors, pay for things etc.). So firstly its a chip as a credit card maybe..tracks your purchasing, boom next gen has satellite link for your location. Not sure we'll get as far as a minority report precrime thing where your thoughts end up getting you investigated, but I do think gradually although the minority will resist, the majority are naive enough to allow complete government control for their "protection"
I've very little doubt that eating meat will be seen as an abomination.
Original post by nexttime
I've very little doubt that eating meat will be seen as an abomination.

Within ~50 years? I'd definitely take the other side on that. Pepperoni pizzas are going nowhere fast (except down American gullets).
At the current rate, there won't be much left to look down upon. Maybe murdering people and dancing a jig on their graves might be slightly frowned upon.
Reply 12
Original post by hamix.forllz
I think smoking, eating fatty foods, etc. will be outlawed and immoral in society.

People will get tired of democracy, and not vote at all, but still would want the freedoms of it.

Fossil fuels will be immoral (or more their use) as electric, solar, even nuclear fusion will take their place.

Capitalism wouldn't exist, as we know it know, since it's unsustainable especially if India/China get rich.

There will be a world population cap, and most countries will have a similar policy to China (,i.e. one child..)

People have smoked tobacco for hundreds of years and the native Americans did it even earlier, why would we suddenly stop in forty years? Fatty foods contain sugar which everyone craves and no doubt that'll be the same.

Why is capitalism unsustainable? We will never move beyond capitalism.

I find it hard to imagine certain countries ever needing to do that

Original post by minimarshmallow

You do realise we've moved past polygamy? It used to be acceptable but now it isn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
We will never move beyond capitalism.

It's ridiculous to state something like that will never happen. People used to say we will never get to the moon.
Reply 14
Not tipping
Reply 15
Original post by tomclarky
It's ridiculous to state something like that will never happen. People used to say we will never get to the moon.

Getting to the moon doesn't go against human nature, in fact it's very much part of human nature to want to explore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Wade-
Getting to the moon doesn't go against human nature, in fact it's very much part of human nature to want to explore

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having a system that isn't capitalism isn't against human nature either... :s-smilie:
Original post by minimarshmallow

yep this :/
Original post by Wade-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't it also our nature to f*** as many people as possible, even though a lot of us manage to live pretty monogamous lifestyles? I have an animalistic desire to eat meat, but have managed to overcome it for alturistic purposes along with millions of others.

We're not knuckle dragging monkeys anymore driven only by basic primal drives. Humans have huge capacity for cooperation and kindness, which we show on a daily basis despite living in a world that encourages fear and rewards greed. If it's possible for us to show these qualities on a moderate level, then it's possible to create a world where these ideas pervade our global idealogy.
Reply 19
Original post by Quady
Having a system that isn't capitalism isn't against human nature either... :s-smilie:

Having a system doesn't allow humans to be selfish and greedy is against our nature. Take communism for example, as it's the most commonly used opponent of capitalism, it never allows people to be better than any other individual in terms of the material things they have and that's really not going to work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending