The Student Room Group

A third of male university students say they would rape a woman if there no were no c

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
how was this survey carried out?

Amongst other questions they were asked how they would act in a situation where they could have sexual intercourse with a woman against her will “if nobody would ever know and there wouldn’t be any consequences”.

31.7% of all men participating in the study would force a woman to have sexual intercourse in such a “consequence-free situation”

Would it hurt to read the OP?

Original post by Truths
Would it hurt to read the OP?

no need to be so patronising.

Obviously the average young male university student is not representative of all men and more likely to hold misogynist views such as this, so this is biased. But also the sample is rather small to make a concrete conclusion.
Reply 22
And LOLOL at people picking not the sample size. If you were a cars dealer and 23 out of 73 of your vehicles were broken, you'd see that as a cause for concern. You won't be talking no "sample size" mess.
Original post by Truths
And LOLOL at people picking not the sample size. If you were a cars dealer and 23 out of 73 of your vehicles were broken, you'd see that as a cause for concern. You won't be talking no "sample size" mess.

hmm.

Your bias against men is strong in the majority of your posts. The law has recently changed so that men are guilty until proven innocent re: rape, how do you feel about this, considering the potential for false rape accusations (which have been recorded)?
Reply 24

Obviously the average young male university student is not representative of all men and more likely to hold misogynist views such as this, so this is biased. But also the sample is rather small to make a concrete conclusion.

Biased how? The thread is clearly titled 1/3 male university students. Not all men. The sample size is big enough for the conclusion they made.

Our results suggest that there is no one-size-fits-all ap-proach to sexual assault prevention. If men who sexuallyassault harbor different motivations to varying degrees,identifying them ahead of time and targeting interventionstoward groups of men with similar motivations, or bettereven, providing personalized prevention programs, maybe more successful. Men who are primarily motivated bynegative, hostile affect toward women and who conceptu-alize their own intentions and behaviors as rape are unlikelyto benefit from the large group primary prevention effortsdone as part of college outreach efforts. However, program-ming using a group and norm-based approach appears to beappropriate for men who endorse force but deny rape, as longas the programming can establish rapport and credibility withparticipants. Because these men do not view their sexuallyaggressive intentions as rape, failing to attend to issues aroundbeliefs about the stereotypical rapist and not identifying withthem could weaken the effectiveness of the programming dueto not receiving buy in from participants. This would ulti-mately likely leave the men who could benefit most fromthese prevention efforts disengaged.
Reply 25
hmm.

Your bias against men is strong in the majority of your posts. The law has recently changed so that men are guilty until proven innocent re: rape, how do you feel about this, considering the potential for false rape accusations (which have been recorded)?

I never heard of this before
I don't believe it's true
I don't support it if it is
And I DON'T have a bias against men.

Original post by HucktheForde
The consequences here means bad consequences for the lady. including trauma. I would rape a women too if she consents and the lady wont suffer any trauma or medical condition afterwards.

If she consents, it's not rape.

Bigot.
Original post by Truths
I never heard of this before
I don't believe it's true
I don't support it if it is
And I DON'T have a bias against men.

really? I'm surprised, it's quite big legal and feminist news; there is a thread on here about it from a couple of weeks ago :smile:
Original post by Snagprophet
Bigot.

hmm? I'm speaking as a fourth year something :tongue:

It's just true, more young men are more likely to hold these views, and only a small number of them too. I meant 'of average university age', not just those attending
hmm? I'm speaking as a fourth year something :tongue:

It's just true, more young men are more likely to hold these views, and only a small number of them too. I meant 'of average university age', not just those attending

Agist
Original post by Snagprophet
Agist

Yep probably :/ other people on here are agist. Consider the number of women in my last thread, calling young men too immature to date.
Reply 32
Basically this study only further illustrates what I have been saying for the longest time. A worrying amount of men just don't understand what rape is. Rape is not reserved for the evil spirited, psycho maniac "monster", it can be the teacher, doctor, the brother and yes the student. Sure, the vast majority of men know that rape is wrong, but once you change the word form "rape" to "sex against a woman's will", "sex with an unconscious, non consenting woman", suddenly the attitudes change. Clearly there is a worryingly popular mentality at hand that needs to be changed in our culture. Rape is so much more complicated than what some of y'all make it out to be.

People are so caught up in their us vs them, feminist feuds that they fail to see the bigger picture each and every time.
Reply 33
really? I'm surprised, it's quite big legal and feminist news; there is a thread on here about it from a couple of weeks ago :smile:

Link?
Original post by SophieSmall
Well clearly the 1/3rd of the "men" participating in that "study" were disgusting individuals.

As a study though it is awful, as has already been pointed out it was flawed with poor sample size.
the guy below makes a good point...

depends on what no consequences mean...

Original post by tazarooni89
What exactly does "no consequences" mean?

Does it just mean that the perpetrator isn't going to receive any punishment or repercussions himself? Or does it also mean that the victim isn't going to suffer any physical or emotional damage or pregnancy etc. as a consequence of the rape either?
Original post by Truths
Basically this study only further illustrates what I have been saying for the longest time. A worrying amount of men just don't understand what rape is. Rape is not reserved for the evil spirited, psycho maniac "monster", it can be the teacher, doctor, the brother and yes the student. Sure, the vast majority of men know that rape is wrong, but once you change the word form "rape" to "sex against a woman's will", "sex with an unconscious, non consenting woman", suddenly the attitudes change. Clearly there is a worryingly popular mentality at hand that needs to be changed in our culture. Rape is so much more complicated than what some of y'all make it out to be.

People are so caught up in their us vs them, feminist feuds that they fail to see the bigger picture each and every time.

Fairly sure everyone who isn't a LAD knows deep down this is rape.
Reply 36
Fairly sure everyone who isn't a LAD knows deep down this is rape.
Nowadays our country is heavily populated with "LAD"s anyway, so that doesn't make it much less off a problem.

Original post by trustmeimlying1
the guy below makes a good point...

depends on what no consequences mean...

LAWD. You continue to clutch at straws. It's pretty obvious what consequences means in the context of the question. And does it even matter? Under what circumstance is rape OK? TF?

Original post by Truths
Nowadays our country is heavily populated with "LAD"s anyway, so that doesn't make it much less off a problem.

LAWD. You continue to clutch at straws. It's pretty obvious what consequences means in the context of the question. And does it even matter? Under what circumstance is rape OK? TF?

im highlighting how poor the thing is.

there has to be consequences.
Reply 38
Original post by trustmeimlying1
im highlighting how poor the thing is.

there has to be consequences.

No, there doesn't have to be consequences. By no consequences, it basically means "if they can get away with it".

They couldn't use the latter phrase because their wording had to be neutral. The latter phrase indirectly implies that the action would be wrong, and could bias their responses. The surveyors would prefer that participants make the determination by themselves and then answer the question unaffected.
Original post by Truths
No, there doesn't have to be consequences. By no consequences, it basically means "if they can get away with it".

They couldn't use the latter phrase because their wording had to be neutral. The latter phrase indirectly implies that the action would be wrong, and could bias their responses. The surveyors would prefer that participants make the determination by themselves and then answer the question unaffected.

NO CONSEQUENCES for the male then.

I think has discussed above its a ****ty journal anyways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending