The Student Room Group

Why do some white people have a hard time understanding white privilege?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Zargabaath
Shed light on a non-issue yeah. If by conditioned you mean I'm not a self-entitled paranoid douche-bag with a victim complex, then yeah I suppose I am. (And I'm grateful for that too)

It is the uncle Toms that sadden me the most.

Let me try and understand your viewpoint. Do you think we are all viewed as equal? Let me guess your a bit brown and you haven't personally endured discrimination so in your mind it doesn't happen to other PoC.

Or maybe you have assimilated so well you feel you are no different so that taints your ability to see the bigger picture?

You only have to look at statistics of certain racial backgrounds to see white privilege exists.
Eg. more black boys and girls are attending higher education yet they are not gaining the graduate employment like their white counterparts. Bet you think it is because they are not good enough right? because society is a meritocracy right? aww.
Original post by TheWoke
That is a good point however do you suggest we just ignore institutional racism in the meantime?

The fact that a lot of people are so ignorant that they deny there is any bias is worrying. Maybe the proportion of shootings of unarmed black men across America is just coincidence.

The example you gave is a perfect reason as to why democracy needs to return soon before its too late. More and more people will die from police brutality as long as we continue to point the finger at one another.

Once we are all represented by our government, maybe then we can voice our views and then actually be heard.

You can shout as loud as you want.

But right now, politicians have money shoved down their ears so far that they are deaf to the world.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Or, it could be that white people would rather buy a CD based on the artist's skin colour rather than on the quality of his craft.

Well now you're just talking nonsense and I'm offended that you consider white people to be so naive. Amongst many others I own CDs of Bob Marley, Native American music, Australian Aboriginal music and Ladysmith Black Mombazo. Never once did skin colour play any part in choosing what I wanted to buy. I don't know any white person who chooses music based upon the artists' skin colour.

As has been pointed out several times already, almost all of your 26 points can be answered by 'demographics'. You want to see a darker coloured bandage? Get off your arse and go make one. Or go buy one, because they already exist.
Reply 43
Original post by Teaddict
Because it massively generalises a very large and heterogeneous group of people based on their skin colour. In all other circumstances, this is known as racism by the progressive left, yet when directed at those who are white it is not. There is a huge disparity between countries of a majority white population in terms of socio-economics, democracy, freedom, 'privilege'. You are generalising across all these groups without any real facts or evidence that what you are saying applies to them all.

It is like me concluding that all blacks commit crimes based solely on the actions of some and then applying that 'fact' as widely as possible. Interestingly, if I sought to make that conclusion, I would be accused of racism.

You do not combat racism and discrimination through racism and discrimination. You combat it through acceptance, openness, and tolerance. So many fourth-wave feminists and 'social justice warriors' (I dislike the term but it makes it clear who I am referring to) are among the most authoritarian people I have ever had the displeasure of coming into contact with. What made it even more ironic is that they are mostly white and from very well off, established backgrounds, yet have the nerve to tell me I, as someone from a very poor working class background, is privileged. Quite honestly, you can go **** yourself.

Yet another person hailing abuse at someone who was just trying to have a discussion around a topic, inconvenient truth is hard to hear right.

The fact you think what she said is 'discrimination' shows you have no idea of what the term white privilege means.

Just because YOU are from a poor working class background does not mean white privilege doesn't exist. If you put a poor working class black man and yourself side by side let me know if you honestly think you would face the same struggles.
Original post by The Epicurean
Generally it easier to find ones own staple and cultural foods in their own country. A Chinese person will have no trouble finding Chinese food in China, but might have trouble in Poland. And vice versa, a Polish will have no trouble finding Polish food in Poland, but might have trouble finding Polish food in China. It has advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages is that sometimes people think that white people are a walking ATM machine. But there are also many positives that undoubtedly can be gained from being white when travelling. But more advantages come from also being a native English speaker. Why not also talk of English language privilege? I can go anywhere in the world and find someone who talks my language. I can always find newspapers, books, films etc... in English. Many signs in other countries have English translations. International businesses tend to conduct work in English etc...

What if you're not, say English by blood, but have lived in England your whole life?

Yes, being White American or British is more advantageous.
Because it massively generalises a very large and heterogeneous group of people based on their skin colour. In all other circumstances, this is known as racism by the progressive left, yet when directed at those who are white it is not. There is a huge disparity between countries of a majority white population in terms of socio-economics, democracy, freedom, 'privilege'. You are generalising across all these groups without any real facts or evidence that what you are saying applies to them all. It is like me concluding that all blacks commit crimes based solely on the actions of some and then applying that 'fact' as widely as possible. Interestingly, if I sought to make that conclusion, I would be accused of racism. You do not combat racism and discrimination through racism and discrimination. You combat it through acceptance, openness, and tolerance. So many fourth-wave feminists and 'social justice warriors' (I dislike the term but it makes it clear who I am referring to) are among the most authoritarian people I have ever had the displeasure of coming into contact with. What made it even more ironic is that they are mostly white and from very well off, established backgrounds, yet have the nerve to tell me I, as someone from a very poor working class background, is privileged. Quite honestly, you can go **** yourself.

Thanks for insulting me again :smile:
You could read this if you want: http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person
Reply 46
Original post by Duncan2012
Well now you're just talking nonsense and I'm offended that you consider white people to be so naive. Amongst many others I own CDs of Bob Marley, Native American music, Australian Aboriginal music and Ladysmith Black Mombazo. Never once did skin colour play any part in choosing what I wanted to buy. I don't know any white person who chooses music based upon the artists' skin colour.

As has been pointed out several times already, almost all of your 26 points can be answered by 'demographics'. You want to see a darker coloured bandage? Get off your arse and go make one. Or go buy one, because they already exist.

Why are you offended by what she said. It is usually not a conscious bias. Nobody is saying everyone consciously picks and chooses.

Good example is hip hop. predominately black industry right? full of loads of talented artists? Majority of them black? Yet the few white artists that enter the industry usually become more successful than their black counterparts.

Do you want to try and tell me that Iggy A. has rose to such heights because of her amazing talent and lyrical ability?
What if you're not, say English by blood, but have lived in England your whole life?

Yes, being White American or British is more advantageous.

Like Irish? What about it?

*Speaking English is more advantageous. But the advantage comes from living in a country where English is spoken (in living in a family that speaks English), and especially if you are brought up in an area (or with a family) where a more commonly understood accent is spoken. If you have a strong Liverpudlian accent, you might not benefit as much, despite being English.
Deleted post.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well now you're just talking nonsense and I'm offended that you consider white people to be so naive. Amongst many others I own CDs of Bob Marley, Native American music, Australian Aboriginal music and Ladysmith Black Mombazo. Never once did skin colour play any part in choosing what I wanted to buy. I don't know any white person who chooses music based upon the artists' skin colour. As has been pointed out several times already, almost all of your 26 points can be answered by 'demographics'. You want to see a darker coloured bandage? Get off your arse and go make one. Or go buy one, because they already exist.

This issue in particular caters to white people in the US. Having a white dad who's into reggae and rap, I'm aware than the artist's skin colour isn't the reason.
They're not "my" 26 points
Reply 50
Honestly I was randomly browsing TSR regarding something completely unrelated and came across this thread on the homepage. Some of the posts in this thread are actually appalling. Actually disgusted by some of the close-minded ignorant posts. If you don't understand a concept raised then fair enough, simply ask questions rather than try to insult, patronise and belittle people.
Original post by The Marshall
So what's your actual point? These things already exist. I think you are either tapping into people's fears or maybe you just say that white people have these privelges anyway. But I would argue that people of different minorites have exactly the same acess to these things you list even if there is some predjuice. So its not just for whites, its for all those born in this country. Do you deny that a black man can become an mp? Do you deny a Chinese person getting a good job? Or do you hate that Britian has become multi-cultural. Indians and Chinese are probably more economically contributing in your NHS and your tax.

You also ignore the point that the era of Western country or Social Dawrsnim ( which is a flawed concept used by the Russians when they got defeated in the Russo-Japanese War) is over. It is now the era of India and China that are reforming and rebuilding their countries after decades of corruption and misrule. Funnily enough the Western Powers used to use China and India and now the situtation has reversed. Its now them at the charge.
And racisim happens everywhere. It just has to be broken down

I wonder whether you support the extreme Russian nationalist groups that see only a white russia and love to insult people because of their colour?

Would you hate someone because of their colour? Their job? Their position?

Or would you prefer to get along with people REGARDLESS of their skin colour?

I am asking because I am not clear what your position is. Do you argue that White people have these advantages( when in fact other minorites can also have these advantages) or do you hate minorites that have been contributing to your country but have recieved racial abuse through the 50,60, 70, 80, 90s?

I don't understand your position either.
Somehow you think I'm against minorities too?...
I understand White privilege and how awesome it is to be white. I may not have chosen to be white but I can still embrace it and all the advantages it has.
This seems a thread where people are trying to justify their failures and problems due to their colour.

http://www.bookwormroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Black-and-white-crime-statistics.png

That link should open some minds about this "white privilege" need I remind you what colour the president of the USA is?-If white privilege was as you say it is people wouldn't have voted him in due to his colour.
Original post by TheWoke
It is the uncle Toms that sadden me the most.

Let me try and understand your viewpoint. Do you think we are all viewed as equal? Let me guess your a bit brown and you haven't personally endured discrimination so in your mind it doesn't happen to other PoC.

Or maybe you have assimilated so well you feel you are no different so that taints your ability to see the bigger picture?

You only have to look at statistics of certain racial backgrounds to see white privilege exists.
Eg. more black boys and girls are attending higher education yet they are not gaining the graduate employment like their white counterparts. Bet you think it is because they are not good enough right? because society is a meritocracy right? aww.

I know full well that we aren't all viewed as equal by everyone, however I think the majority do. What do you mean by a "bit brown"? If I was slightly lighter would that mean my views were somehow less valid? Does it have to become a pissing contest of who's darker? Not that it matters but I am unmistakable as Asian, I don't looked mixed or anything like that. I have personally endured racism, but I'm not stupid enough to think the entire white race is trying to oppress me.

Sure there are problems with members certain races being treated a certain way, but crying about non-issues like pretty much everything in that list helps no-one. I'd go as far to say it results in people taking the larger issues much less seriously.
Reply 55
I don't understand your position either.
Somehow you think I'm against minorities too?...

LOL! I was wondering how in the hell he came to that conclusion but I couldn't even be bothered to question him.

I actually cannot believe some peoples thought processes.
Because it massively generalises a very large and heterogeneous group of people based on their skin colour

What? what do you mean that white people aren't an homogeneous group who always, no matter their circumstance, might not have as much 'privilege' as the next white person
Reply 57

C'mon Eminem himself says "Let's do the math, if I was black, I woulda sold half" in White America.
Original post by TheWoke

I actually cannot believe some peoples thought processes.

I know what you mean, how can people who agree with the OP be this ​out of touch with reality
Original post by Zargabaath
Then Peggy McIntosh is a ****ing retard. That doesn't excuse your stupidity for believing this crap. There really is a need to insult you, if enough people condemn this idiocy, maybe we can weed it out of society.Btw if people are making bandages for different skin tones, what's the problem? Why is it on the list?

This is just a forum, calm down.
That's the point. Do you see bandages being for dark skinned black people? It seems silly at first but it's trying to show that products in general are geared towards white people, regardless of the fact they're the majority or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending