The Student Room Group

How can you be gay and right wing?

I know a few gay people that voted for the conservatives and I wonder if they where dropped on their head as a child. That's like Jews voting for the Nazis.

Do they not realise that the conservatives would ban gayness if they had the chance?

Scroll to see replies

Rubbish, which Conservative policy wants to ban homosexuality?
Conservatives aren't exactly anti-gay?
Reply 3
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
Rubbish, which Conservative policy wants to ban homosexuality?

Original post by Keyhofi
Conservatives aren't exactly anti-gay?

Who was it that first brought in rights for homosexuals?

Also many conservative mps have tried to ban gay marriage.
Ignore this thread. OP is posting on multiple boards with similarly irrational/ridiculous posts. Just a troll.
Reply 5
Original post by edwardphilip
Ignore this thread. OP is posting on multiple boards with similarly irrational/ridiculous posts. Just a troll.

Oh ffs not the 'I don't have an argument against your points so I will call you a troll' brigade.

What have I said that is irrational?

It is a well known fact that the left ate more accepting of minorities in society.
Original post by ngb9320
Oh ffs not the 'I don't have an argument against your points so I will call you a troll' brigade.

What have I said that is irrational?

It is a well known fact that the left ate more accepting of minorities in society.

Comparing the Conservative Party to the NSDAP... are you completely crazy? I am by no means a Tory supporter but to compare them to a formerly institutionally anti-Semitic, racist, homophobic and fascist government is far from rational.

Also, aren't you forgetting that it was the Conservative-Lib Dem government that legalised gay marriage?
Original post by ngb9320
Well, no one, really. Sodomy was legalised (homosexuality had never been illegal as such), like most decisions on matters of conscience, by a free vote.
Reply 8
Original post by edwardphilip
Comparing the Conservative Party to the NSDAP... are you completely crazy? I am by no means a Tory supporter but to compare them to a formerly institutionally anti-Semitic, racist, homophobic and fascist government is far from rational.

Also, aren't you forgetting that it was the Conservative-Lib Dem government that legalised gay marriage?

Well they do have similar tendencies tothe nazi party but I takevyou point.

That was legalised only because lib dems pushed for it the conservatives did nit want it.
Original post by ngb9320
Well they do have similar tendencies tothe nazi party but I takevyou point.

That was legalised only because lib dems pushed for it the conservatives did nit want it.

To suggest that is ridiculous.. I won't even answer such a childish point.

Even if there was LD support for the Bill, it does not excuse the fact that the government introduced it and passed it.
Original post by ngb9320
I know a few gay people that voted for the conservatives and I wonder if they where dropped on their head as a child. That's like Jews voting for the Nazis.

Do they not realise that the conservatives would ban gayness if they had the chance?

You'd be surprised how liberal most young Conservatives are on such issues. At my local CF branch, i could probably count on one hand in a room of people the number who oppose gay marriage.
Original post by ngb9320

Also many conservative mps have tried to ban gay marriage.

Being against gay marriage does mean that you are anti-gay nor does it mean that you are homophobic.
Reply 12
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
Rubbish, which "Conservative" policy wants to ban homosexuality?

fixed
Reply 13
Ask him

Because people are not one dimensional.
Gay marriage would not have been legalised if it was not for the votes of Lib Dem and Labour MPs.
Also:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431594714.662936.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ngb9320

It is in no way comparable to Jews voting for Nazis. Even if the Conservatives were rapidly anti-gay, which they almost certainly aren't (given that they are a centre-right party trying to capture the middle class centrist vote), the Conservatives have never stated an intention to round up homosexual people into extermination camps. The worst that could come of it would be the banning of sodomy and as I mentioned before due to the Conservative leadership's wish to get elected that almost certainly isn't going to happen any time soon.
My MP is a gay conservative. They do exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IamLiquid
Being against gay marriage does mean that you are anti-gay nor does it mean that you are homophobic.

It does seem homophobic if you think about the fact that marriage is seen as a basic human right (in the eyes of the UN and most countries) so to deny some people that right implies that they are less worthy of human rights that you are.
Would anyone say that same about racists and interracial marriage or sexists and heterosexual partnerships in which the wife earns more or is taller/older than the husband?

Even if they oppose equal marriage for religious purposes, the argument still stands - why call something 'THE HAPPIEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE' and then tell some people
"No you can't have that."
They reply: "WHY NOT?!"
You say: "Because I say so/my religion says so"
They reply: "da hell...?!"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
So.many.stupid.people... And being against gay marriage doesn't mean you hate gays. We also need to stop using "homophobic' so loosely, Google the definition of a phobia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending