The Student Room Group

Why do white people...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Augvstus
reverse racism doesn't exist lmao

Reported for racism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sqwertylol
get outta here. im guessing you live in the uk. the uk isnt racist. if anything unis are more inclined to take you because you're a minority. this isn't america or somewhere deeply racist.

I do live in the UK and yes the UK can be very ignorant and uncomfortable with people of different race, ethnicity and religion.

When it comes to universities:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/28/britains-universities-still-failing-black-asian-students

I stand by my point, it is a white man's world and if you are the wrong colour, welcome to many obstacles. I had to work triple hard to be made to feel that there is some equality and although I have achieved this to some degree. The question am I equal to my white peers - no, definitely not by a long shot!
Original post by Silly_Monkey
It is a white man's world. As an Asian Muslim, I had to work triple hard to get equality-lite. So sad.

absolute bull****. what is "triple hard"? what are you talking about?
reverse racism doesn't exist lmao

^what was this, then? "prejudice"? lmao
Original post by zippity.doodah
absolute bull****. what is "triple hard"? what are you talking about?

As an Asian, in order for me to get an equal standing, I have had to work hard to achieve it. I shouldn't have to as I can't help my skin colour.
As an Asian, in order for me to get an equal standing, I have had to work hard to achieve it. I shouldn't have to as I can't help my skin colour.

what proof are you looking at? what grades did you get in school? /which university did you go to? what is making you think you had to work "triple" as hard? :| I technically got oxbridge grades but I couldn't get in - am I automatically going to assume it was based on the colour of my skin?
get outta here. im guessing you live in the uk. the uk isnt racist. if anything unis are more inclined to take you because you're a minority. this isn't america or somewhere deeply racist.

For every 100 university applicants using the UCAS system, Pakistani candidates receive 7 fewer offers than their white counterparts, while Bangladeshi and black applicants receive 5 less.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jul/23/ethnic-minority-students-fewer-university-offers-research-shows

An equal standing in what?
Original post by Greenlaner
An equal standing in what?

treated with respect, have the same opportunities, an equal standing in society.
I find it comical how people living in a country inhabited mostly by white people find it confusing that they're discriminated against because they're not white; then go on to ask why white people don't get discriminated against.
I'm pretty sure that if you lived in a country filled mostly with people that don't share your skin colour, your chances of being discriminated are much higher than if you were the ethnic majority.
I'm almost certain that, being white, if I lived in a community of people in which I was the ethnic minority, some comments would be made about the colour of my skin.
I have lived in a non white majority country, along with my friends (who are white, I'm asian). They felt more safe in India, than I do here. You'll find in most other countries they get along, despite religion, race etc (except a few countries of course) whereas here in the UK and America, you are divided. We have areas such as Chinatown, Koreatown. You don't get Englishtown where all the English people live in Delhi, or Shangai etc. On forms, they ask for your ethnicity. They seek to divide us up on these lines, therefore we're all seen as different, rather than just humans. I'm not talking about Germany, Germany is very diverse, mostly due to the fact that they suffered so much during WW2, that they do not want to go back, and because of the economic opportunities, they attract a lot of migrants. But in Germany, 95% wanted to let the refugees in. Here, I would say at least half have insulted them, and don't want them near us. Says a lot really. Most of Europe is trying to help them.

Original post by MrKmas508
Have you ever lived in a non white country ever in your life, honestly. This is from world value surveyimage.jpg today 10,000 refugees entered Germany for asylum, many people were upset however it happened, you'll never see that happen in a non white country.
Reply 31
It is a white man's world. As an Asian Muslim, I had to work triple hard to get equality-lite. So sad.

Only because Non-Whites allow it to be. The real blame is on us.
Original post by Yawn!
Only because Non-Whites allow it to be. The real blame is on us.

I want fairness, equality for all regardless race, creed, culture and religion. It seems to be in this world, we question "all people"- blacks, muslims (any race), Asian, Latino, Africans -where does it end?
Original post by GdotMdot
I have lived in a non white majority country, along with my friends (who are white, I'm asian). They felt more safe in India, than I do here. You'll find in most other countries they get along, despite religion, race etc (except a few countries of course) whereas here in the UK and America, you are divided. We have areas such as Chinatown, Koreatown. You don't get Englishtown where all the English people live in Delhi, or Shangai etc. On forms, they ask for your ethnicity. They seek to divide us up on these lines, therefore we're all seen as different, rather than just humans. I'm not talking about Germany, Germany is very diverse, mostly due to the fact that they suffered so much during WW2, that they do not want to go back, and because of the economic opportunities, they attract a lot of migrants. But in Germany, 95% wanted to let the refugees in. Here, I would say at least half have insulted them, and don't want them near us. Says a lot really. Most of Europe is trying to help them.

You've already decided how you feel, I don't have anything else to say.
Original post by spurs9393
Reported for racism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good
Original post by zippity.doodah

^what was this, then? "prejudice"? lmao

Racism= prejudice + institutionalised, systemic oppression

There's a difference between discrimination and racism.
Original post by GdotMdot

bro have you gone mad. india has millions of underage forced prostitutes. if it was in the middle east we would be calling them savages. their society is sick.
I'd bet you that all women in india would feel more safe here, even if they wanted to stay in india.
as for the germany point..we took in loads of jews when germany were rounding them up and gassing them.
i think you read the papers too much. a lot of european countries are heavily against the migration. almost all of eastern europe and northern europe.
just because theres a few headlines of people offering the migrants food in x country doesn't mean that the entire country loves migrants. think about it.
also on ucas you can say i dont want to say on the race bit you're chatting rubbish my indian friend
anyway im almost certain youre a troll. if not you need to go to school and develop your logic and thinking skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
bro have you gone mad. india has millions of underage forced prostitutes. if it was in the middle east we would be calling them savages. their society is sick.
I'd bet you that all women in india would feel more safe here, even if they wanted to stay in india.
as for the germany point..we took in loads of jews when germany were rounding them up and gassing them.
i think you read the papers too much. a lot of european countries are heavily against the migration. almost all of eastern europe and northern europe.
just because theres a few headlines of people offering the migrants food in x country doesn't mean that the entire country loves migrants. think about it.
also on ucas you can say i dont want to say on the race bit you're chatting rubbish my indian rapist friend
anyway im almost certain youre a troll. if not you need to go to school and develop your logic and thinking skills.

Post Reported.
Racism= prejudice + institutionalised, systemic oppression

There's a difference between discrimination and racism.

where the hell are you getting that definition? :| where are you getting this "institutionalised" add on from? institutions don't affect whether somebody is being discriminated against based on their skin colour (racism). one is just more powerful racism than the other. don't be stupid here.
Original post by AaronImpresswell
For every 100 university applicants using the UCAS system, Pakistani candidates receive 7 fewer offers than their white counterparts, while Bangladeshi and black applicants receive 5 less.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jul/23/ethnic-minority-students-fewer-university-offers-research-shows

7 or 5 fewer per 100 isn't really that many.
but step back a minute. Why would every race get the same no. of offers per 100 applicants? of course there are going to be differences. showing that they dont get the exact same doesnt mean theres racism. whats more likely is these pakistani and black etc minorities live in poorer areas. therefore lower grades and worse personal statement. that'd lead to fewer offers right?
also, i'd say old school unis which are referred to in that article - who are the supposed 'racists' - wouldn't they be more discriminitave towards black students rather than pakistani? but if you look black are more likely to get in than pakistani. only by 2 (7-5) though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending