The Student Room Group

I feel so empty in London, no soul here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VergeofInsanity
what is crap about it?

All the negative stuff you talked about lol. It's a mega waste of a good opportunity. I have loads of fun at my uni. Easy to make friends and meet people.
Reply 41
why so curious? I don't think it really matters where I live. I mean what difference does it make to the argument?

It does matter as each area of London is very different. I live in South London too, but my area isn't at all Islamic so we live in very different parts of London even if both are 'south London'. Nobody is going to track you down lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
It does matter as each area of London is very different. I live in South London too, but my area isn't at all Islamic so we live in very different parts of London even if both are 'south London'. Nobody is going to track you down lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but forgetting the Islamic thing for a moment most of if not all of the other things still apply to your area. It is just the way(s) of London, regardless of area.

For people who disagree with me I would like them to tell me how they made their friends if they went to a crappy school like I did or how they met their girlfriend/boyfriend if they didn't know normal cool people from school etc. It's extremely difficult unless you want to resort to approaching people in the street or using dating apps.

Of course this is a part of life as well. I'm not saying in Leeds for example you can get girls so simply, I'm just saying things are different. The people are much more similar, much closer together, more similar interests & mentality. You might meet actual friends at a social or sports club whereas in London you will meet a 35 year old dude who is married with kids and lives at the other end of London to you. Things are much more straightforward and simple elsewhere.
Anywhere else outside of London is so boring. Get used to it,this is what it means to be a Londoner in this historic metropolis
Original post by ChickenMadness
All the negative stuff you talked about lol. It's a mega waste of a good opportunity. I have loads of fun at my uni. Easy to make friends and meet people.

What opportunity? The students at my University are virtually all international. Most of them have spent their summer in their home country. How does that improve my social life in London? As for my summer I was busy but it's not like my uni is full of London students who can become lifelong London friends.

You say negative but I don't understand what is negative about it. Google 'white flight'. People leaving London in their droves to be replaced by immigrants etc People like me are hard to find. The only English people I meet here at my workplace or whatever place are dirty lower working class uneducated small minded folk - in other words the very poor of London who live on estates etc

It is them and the very rich that are the only remaining breed of British people here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queen-bee
Anywhere else outside of London is so boring. Get used to it,this is what it means to be a Londoner in this historic metropolis

That is actually somewhat true and a part of the dilemma. I will give London credit there. Living elsewhere in most places anyways, would be comparatively dull but with more happiness somehow.
Wrong. I've lived outside London, that's exactly why I comment on it.

what uni u at
What opportunity? The students at my University are virtually all international. Most of them have spent their summer in their home country. How does that improve my social life in London? As for my summer I was busy but it's not like my uni is full of London students who can become lifelong London friends.

You say negative but I don't understand what is negative about it. Google 'white flight'. People leaving London in their droves to be replaced by immigrants etc People like me are hard to find. The only English people I meet here at my workplace or whatever place are dirty lower working class uneducated small minded folk - in other words the very poor of London who live on estates etc

It is them and the very rich that are the only remaining breed of British people here.

I thought you were having a rant and didn't like your situation lol. I mean in my uni it's just easy to make friends and have fun etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Yes but forgetting the Islamic thing for a moment most of if not all of the other things still apply to your area. It is just the way(s) of London, regardless of area.

For people who disagree with me I would like them to tell me how they made their friends if they went to a crappy school like I did or how they met their girlfriend/boyfriend if they didn't know normal cool people from school etc. It's extremely difficult unless you want to resort to approaching people in the street or using dating apps.

Of course this is a part of life as well. I'm not saying in Leeds for example you can get girls so simply, I'm just saying things are different. The people are much more similar, much closer together, more similar interests & mentality. You might meet actual friends at a social or sports club whereas in London you will meet a 35 year old dude who is married with kids and lives at the other end of London to you. Things are much more straightforward and simple elsewhere.

You'll get this if you move to any town or city in Western Europe. London is no exception. If you moved to Bristol or Manchester it'll be the same. People aren't magically more friendly there. People are seen as more 'friendly' because they stay where they grew up, so they already know people. It's always harder to make friends once you've left school. Adults are more closed off and less open to friendship than kids who just don't care. Plus you don't necessarily see the same people everyday like you do in school.

If you go to a sports club in London you'll have just as much chance as making friends in a sport club in Coventry, just keep attending it won't happen overnight.
Original post by ChickenMadness

What's your uni, Chicken?
Original post by Juichiro
What's your uni, Chicken?

Hertfordshire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending