The Student Room Group

What Is Black?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelcake123
Yeah when people say Ethiopians/Eritreans etc aren't black, I ask, well what are they? And they said fake black people. Lmao maybe there are trolls in real life too.

I don't necessarily agree with the features bit that you spoke about... Like I'm black and many people think im blasian when they first meet me (I'm not). But when they think I am, they still wouldn't disregard me as being black.

If someone thinks small features like small lips, narrow nose, and stuff makes someone not black then they are simple-minded. I guess the same would apply to those who think Eritreans Ethiopians and Somalians aren't black because they have beautiful hair and skin. I guess they assume that black cant be beautiful :frown:

But it's probably a history thing that makes people think they aren't black. (I don't know lmao)

Your post was interesting and im happy I read it as soon as I woke up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is it you disagree about? Disagreeing means discrediting it as true, but please do not discredit my experiences and those of others who are not accepted as black because of slight differences.
And if you're not Blasian then why wouldn't they consider you black...?

Anyway there is a deeper reason as to why Somalians and others from the Horn aren't seen as black. It is wedged in history as to whether there is concurrent Arabic blood types in Habesha people. But that is for official purposes. In common instances like one person to another I'm sure everyone has come across someone from East Africa or North Africa or Latin America or who is black/white who denies their nonwhite ancestry. As far as celebrities, the less insane mavericks will see it as a responsibility to openly embrace that they are (if not to say black-some say they are which I am partial about) "people of colour." Which is...nice...but...whatever.

I'm not partial about light skinned or naturally soft/long haired or bright eyed black people who have black parents saying they're black because that makes sense. I'm partial about people who are mixed saying they are black people because, well, that is literally a horse of a different colour. People who say that normally want black "benefits," and selfishly take from visibly black people or fully black people; I like to say, "skipping the queue for the dole." But I'm sure if you spoke to them you'd find them a walking paradox and conflicted about which side to identify with; they sadly feel there needs to be sides picked, especially if raised in a single parent. Regardless, they will be seen as favourites if they are nationally or internationally or officially seen as black as far as being hired or exalted as the standard for the race, and this is when I say this in real life and some black friends of mine are like "you're not black, shut up." Or "you're light skinned, be quiet, it's not your issue." My mother who is lighter than me and where I get most of my mix from even says it to me :s-smilie:

Yes, I agree that people will see certain Ethiopians as non black but those are the heavily mixed ones. We can look at

who I just found to be Ethiopian and then look at her

and now the eyes might grow a little fonder but then her

is the ideal.

However what pisses me off is there are inhabitants who aren't indigenous to an area but have the nationality/are nationals and thus are regarded as Ethiopian, etc. While this poor girl

who is truly Ethiopian will be disregarded. I however feels she is gorgeous but her religion probably will overlook whether she's a beauty or not because she might be arranged anyway, but whatever.
Original post by Sweet n Sour
Yes, I am asking this question.

After being playfully shunned for "not being black" but shunned just the same out of a conversation some black friends of mine were having today, I asked if they were serious. They then commented on not my skin but hair. So now my hair not being exactly the same as theirs demerits my voice in a discussion about stereotypes of single black mothers?

Firstly, there are some people who look at someone and quickly class them as black because of light brown skin and dark curls or coils in their hair, simply. So you would see in their minds this man:

is seen as black

as well as someone like myself or this person:

While I have no issue with this because the men above clearly aren't white or oriental, I do know there are some people who do it out of ignorance of ethnicity. I also know there are others who would object to the second photo being seen as black. I also know some South Asians, mixed race people and Hispanics regard themselves as black for whatever honest or dishonest reasons they have.

Secondly, there are others who see a slight difference to the "pure African" person such as finer hair or lighter skin or thinner facial features and say that therefore makes them something else.

For example, Ethiopians/Eritrean people and certain Somalians aren't black to some people; others who are exhausted by the debate just bunch everyone together and ignore ethnicity and just dismiss them as black.

I have an issue with both types of people. I can't tell from the former person or the latter person who is indifferent and who is in denial.

Can black people not have variety without someone looking slightly different than the above photo being seen as not black?

Does this man

look like this man

(I googled Italian)

look like this man

look like this man?

No. But they are all seen as white.

Does this woman

look like this woman

look like this woman?

No. But they are all seen as Indian.

Do the women above look like this woman?

No. But they are all seen as Asian.

Is this type of person

or this person

or this person

or her

seen as black to some people?

Is he not black simply because of his eyes?

Well then what about him?

or her?

Now what?

We obviously can't do away with racial categories because it's for some reason a way for the government to identify and survey society. But why is there a stringent prototype to what black is or isn't? It's all dividing and conquering and I'd prefer not to participate in that.

When you apply light skin or light eyes or soft hair as not being black to your definition, you will find it doesn't work. So what exactly is it? There are people who become severely depressed or self hating because they aren't accepted as something racially all for the confusion of what a race is.

I myself feel Ethiopians and Eritreans and Sudanese and Somalians to be black, I just feel mixing or indigeneous traits of one tribe, ethnicity or person differing from another aren't enough to mean you are or aren't something. I'm just annoyed 😩

The term "black" is a social construct put in place to categorise those who fit the phenotype and traits of the Congoid race. In truth black people are brown skinned but still referred to as "black" same as the Caucasoid race who aren't necessarily "white skinned" but still classed as white. It sounds to me that you were friends felt that you weren't "black looking enough" hence why they decided to single you out, but we know that black people are diverse. Some have straight silky hair, some are lighter skinned and others have facial features which are identified more with other races such as the Caucasoid and Mongoloid. In the end we all originated from Africa whether we're black, white or asian we were once one race until the division started.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Black Cat
The term "black" is a social construct put in place to categorise those who fit the phenotype and traits of the Congoid race. In truth black people are brown skinned but still referred to as "black" same as the Caucasoid race who aren't necessarily "white skinned" but still classed as white. It sounds to me that you were friends felt that you weren't "black looking enough" hence why they decided to single you out, but we know that black people are diverse. Some have straight silky hair, some are lighter skinned and others have facial features which are identified more with other races such as the Caucasoid and Mongoloid. In the end we all originated from Africa whether we're black, white or asian we were once one race until the division started.

Yes that's exactly what they did and while it was all in jest it still bothered me because I wasn't even criticising them, I was pointing out social factors that keep black women as single mothers, when they are single mothers.

Yes the traits of the Congoid race and so the term "Aethiopid" as I said to queen bee was established to separate (divide and conquer :K:) Ethiopians from "sub Saharan black people." Which I feel Sub Saharan is a manmade line made to make it seem that North African is naturally lighter and berber/Arab and always was, that East African is afroasiatic and always was, and that they are not the same as Congoid/Negroid. Which is my biggest issue. The gerrymandering of African peoples has got East Africans thinking they are not black sometimes, as well as mixing. Apparently Ethiopians I believe and the Copts have some Arab bloodtype, but whether that is for every Ethiopian--light or dark, kinky hair or fine--or not, just because the features are the same as an Arab doesn't mean that they aren't black. My point of the OP is when white people look diverse they are still seen as white, so why can't "Aethiopid" be part of black diversity? Why must they be a totally different group? *screams in frustration* lol

And thanks for responding :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
This guy is pretty black.

Mate, dat is blacker than my cousin Femi
Interesting! I've had this discussion/argument with people before and it's mainly due to the fact that people who aren't aware of the different types of black people tend to generalise the black person in the dark skinned, broad nosed and nappy headed type when that's not always the case
Original post by Drunk Punx
None of those colours are actually black, they're just varying shades of brown.

So why black people are actually called "black" is beyond me, though I'd imagine it has to do with the way language has been used and evolved over time ("negro" coming from the Spanish word of the same name, derived from "niger", which is Latin for "black":wink:.

I can look that up for you...
Reply 66
Original post by wiseCrack

Mate that's darker than my fiend Magugula Yoro'babua

Attack the Block, brap brap! :biggrin: Poor Den. Sexiest one and died too young.
Original post by ubisoft
Mate that's darker than my fiend Magugula Yoro'babua

Now you're just being racist and officially live under a rock because you missed the Attack the Block quote.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Interesting! I've had this discussion/argument with people before and it's mainly due to the fact that people who aren't aware of the different types of black people tend to generalise the black person in the dark skinned, broad nosed and nappy headed type when that's not always the case

Perfect answer, and your thread is sexy if you know the one I mean ✊<<raised fist emoji if you can see.
Reply 70
Now you're just being racist and officially live under a rock because you missed the Attack the Block quote.

Hahaha, how is that racist?

Btw you still haven't answered my question from yesterday :smile:
Attack the Block, brap brap! :biggrin: Poor Den. Sexiest one and died too young.

well spotted, sista!

here's your reward

**NOT FOR KIDS**

Spoiler

well spotted, sista!

here's your reward

**NOT FOR KIDS**

Spoiler

Booyakasha?

:smile:
Perfect answer, and your thread is sexy if you know the one I mean ✊<<raised fist emoji if you can see.

Thanks for the support!! :h:
Yes I know which one you mean :u:
👊 <<< fist bump
Original post by ubisoft
Hahaha, how is that racist?

Btw you still haven't answered my question from yesterday :smile:

You capitalised off what you thought was a racist jab when it was really just an epic movie quote that a black boy said. And you missed it.
Booyakasha?

:smile:

Respect!

Reply 76
You capitalised off what you thought was a racist jab when it was really just an epic movie quote that a black boy said. And you missed it.

How do you know what I thought?

And if a black boy said it it's okay?
You're so perverse. I never said every. Asian is a panethnic term for people who across several different countries on a continent do share the same ethnicity and language. Not every.

Example:

The Han people aren't exclusive to China. They are all over the Orient and Pacific Islands.
The Mandarin language is spoken in several Asian countries.
Polynesian people have Taiwanese ancestry and Han.
Indonesians have Han ancestry.
Religion like Daoism and Buddhism are in several Asian countries while being Asian in origin.
Need I go on to explain why they are all in one group?

Migration is what separates one Asian from another.
Example: In Medan, Indonesia, people of Tamil descent are indigenous to the area.

Therefore Asian is not a race. It does not fit the definition that you gave.

I'm so over you. Obtuse as hell. Goodbye.
Google race then google panethnic, then go away.
Reply 79

She has no answer for this, I asked her yesterday and she didn't answer then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending