The Student Room Group

Does depression last forever

I've been depressed for almost 4 years it seems like it's gonna last forever

Scroll to see replies

Many have overcome depression - some overcoming it faster than others. Sometimes anti-depressants work for many, sometimes CBT works better for others. Im not highly experienced, but if you'd like to PM me feel free :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LD1000

No, although it doesnt completely disappear.
Have you tried to do something about it?
Reply 4
No it doesn't last forever, you absolutely can get through this it just takes a hell of a lot of time and effort.

And sometimes people do relapse into bad thought patterns and depressive thinking, but this too can be overcome.
No, it doesn't:hugs: not for everyone. With time, help and changes in your life, you can overcome it:hugs:
True
Reply 7
Original post by LD1000

nearly 2 years for me. I'm here if you wanna talk, sometimes it feels better to talk to someone in the same situation as you. :smile:
No hun it doesn't. I've had it for a long time and it does get better :hugs:

Feel free to PM me
Depends. If it's situational or a learned state of mind, it can be changed and eliminated. If it's a chemical imbalance in the brain, it will need to be treated with medication or will not subside or may even worsen over time.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine tends to come and go periodically, but since I moved to my new school,its intensified.
It gets easier to overcome after the first time. You learn the patterns to look out for and how to nip it in the bud before it gets to full blown depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
4 years? That scares me since I've had it for a year now and was hoping it would go away soon :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting heartbroken and having family issues everyday ain't the 1
Original post by WoodyMKC
Depends. If it's situational or a learned state of mind, it can be changed and eliminated. If it's a chemical imbalance in the brain, it will need to be treated with medication or will not subside or may even worsen over time.

All the other comments it seems put it down to thought processes, but as Woody said, it is usually faulty brain chemistry. Would recommend seeing the doc - probs should give you combined therapy and meds (most likely SSRI's). Though if you do take meds, make sure you find some that work the best for you.
Original post by hellodave5
All the other comments it seems put it down to thought processes, but as Woody said, it is usually faulty brain chemistry. Would recommend seeing the doc - probs should give you combined therapy and meds (most likely SSRI's). Though if you do take meds, make sure you find some that work the best for you.

Exactly, I mean it may as I said just be situational or gradually "learned" so therapy I feel should be the first port of call to see if it helps. If not, then it may well be faulty brain chemistry, in which case, you'd take meds if you had any other chronic medical condition, so why not for the brain, one of your most vital organs that it's essential to keep healthy for your own well-being?
Took me 9 years to get out of the hell that is depression. I still have bad days, even weeks sometimes, but I'm better able to realize what's going on and try to fix it before things get that bad again. I really hope I never get dragged back in. :crossedf:
no it doesn't but it feels like an eternity whilst it's happening, like someone else said it may not completely go away, there'll be remnants, but hang in there, there's light at the end of the proverbial tunnel : )
How can you tell if you have depression and does it feel different from grief? I've lost 3 family members within a relatively small space of time (about 5 years) and two of them were fairly young when they passed.
Original post by LD1000

It can do if you don't tackle the cause, you don't want to be on medication for the rest of your life and we've seen from many cases that whilst it regulates it, it won't ever protect you from the harshest falls. Best places to start with depression aren't the things you do, but the things you won't do. It's commonly ( but not always ) extremely linked with anxiety, addressing personal issues such as dissatisfaction, paranoia, feelings of inadequacy or inferiority will help. Anyone who suffers from depression really should try to maintain an extremely active lifestyle, time spent alone or unoccupied rarely can be beneficial when your thoughts run so dark. Besides that I recommend anti depressants as they help you get a foot in the door, they can't take you the whole way and neither will endorphins. Repressed memories can also be extremely damaging, and the almost Pavlovian way in which we learn in childhood can need to be addressed. The saddest part of the human psyche is that even if you don't suffer what is considered abuse, trivial things can have even worse effects on you simply because of the stage of development and the implications. What I mean by that is having one nightmare as a child that haunts your feelings towards something can potentially be more damaging than a year of suffering an abusive parent, though obviously it's unlikely. Trauma in that regard should be done with a counselor or therapy group, if you decide it might be beneficial. It's more likely your suffering is as a result of certain buried desires that cause an underlying pain, often due to feeling inadequate, and this often leads to depression. It's never simple but on the bright side, the earlier you address it the more likely you have a chance to get rid of it, which becomes harder in later life. I wish you luck and myself and many others no doubt are more than willing to try to help, whether that is through advice or just listening and offering support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending