The Student Room Group

Why are so many people dependent on the government in the UK?

Why are so many people dependent on the government in the UK?

Either governments have continually been giving away freebies for votes i.e
Working tax credits, housing benefits, child tax credits etc

Or

Our policies are not great for employment, starting businesses, self employed, protecting industries etc

What do you think? or is it both?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Private enterprise is best for creating innovation and wealth! Or is it to do with work ethic?
Original post by Bill_Gates
Private enterprise is best for creating innovation and wealth! Or is it to do with work ethic?

You always say Britains work ethic is bad but i dont understand how you justify that (Unless trolling which is hard to tell because i think you drift from genuine to trolling mid discussion.)

I don't really know the answer to your question or if the UK does indeed have an abnormal amount of people dependent on the state but policies like giving women a house and comfy life if they pump out a kid or two was and is an insane one and its no surprise that deadbeat scum look to take advantage.

A large population and liberal welfare and immigration policy will produce lots of state dependents
(edited 8 years ago)
Because the lazy ***** have got used to free handouts, and won't go back to working.
Reply 4
Original post by Betelgeuse-
You always say Britains work ethic is bad but i dont understand how you justify that (Unless trolling which is hard to tell because i think you drift from genuine to trolling mid discussion.)

I don't really know the answer to your question or if the UK does indeed have an abnormal amount of people dependent on the state but policies like giving women a house and comfy life if they pump out a kid or two was and is an insane one and its no surprise that deadbeat scum look to take advantage.

A large population and liberal welfare and immigration policy will produce lots of state dependents

Look at the productivity level. Clearly UK per £ is not giving a bang for it's buck. Then people complain about jobs going to India and China where the productivity per £ is GREAT!
Reply 5
Major point people are missing. Hard work when it involves survival also creates great innovation/output. If people know if they lose their job or if their business fails and they will be in a MUCH WORSE situation they try MUCH harder in life. Rather than just give up.
I'm still pissed they scrapped grants for students, the gov't here really is evil. Now they just want to load everyone with more debt.

One day I will get them back for this deceit, one day......

Also in this country wages are not that high, this means that people need support from govt to make end means.
Look at the productivity level. Clearly UK per £ is not giving a bang for it's buck. Then people complain about jobs going to India and China where the productivity per £ is GREAT!

Because they are developing nations with different types of economies?

Maybe indians and chinese are working to eat and survive, not go on holiday and buy a sofa :u:
Would defo go some way go explaining it if they are paid by productivity aswell
(edited 8 years ago)
The state is too generous and people do scam.. just a vicious cycle, now the governments cutting back the freebies, everyones getting angry lol
Reply 9
Because they are developing nations with different types of economies?

Maybe indians and chinese are working to eat and survive, not go on holiday and buy a sofa :u:
Would defo go some way go explaining it if they are paid by productivity aswell

You do not understand international economics, we're are all intertwined. India and China's middle class now stand in the hundreds of millions.

You do realise the UK will end up like Greece if we continue to be so generous. UK debt is through the roof.
Original post by samina_ay
The state is too generous and people do scam.. just a vicious cycle, now the governments cutting back the freebies, everyones getting angry lol

You feel a small loss way more than a small gain.
Original post by Evil Genius
I'm still pissed they scrapped grants for students, the gov't here really is evil. Now they just want to load everyone with more debt.

One day I will get them back for this deceit, one day......

Also in this country wages are not that high, this means that people need support from govt to make end means.

My uni degree was literally paid for with my grant - :u:
You do not understand international economics, we're are all intertwined. India and China's middle class now stand in the hundreds of millions.

You do realise the UK will end up like Greece if we continue to be so generous. UK debt is through the roof.

In what way do i not understand? China has a huge manufacturing economy and exports a **** tonne. What do you think happens when the Yuan strengthens to their exports and economy? They will need to diverse somewhere down the line
In what way do i not understand? China has a huge manufacturing economy and exports a **** tonne. What do you think happens when the Yuan strengthens to their exports and economy? They will need to diverse somewhere down the line

Both countries are diversified. We need to diversify we're all in the service sector another financial crisis will have dire effects especially with our current generosity to encourage idleness.
Because life is hard and it sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile
it is now an accepted way of life to drain the lifeblood of the country through the benefits teat.
You feel a small loss way more than a small gain.

That's very true.
Original post by the bear
it is now an accepted way of life to drain the lifeblood of the country through the benefits teat.

This won't end well.
Both countries are diversified. We need to diversify we're all in the service sector another financial crisis will have dire effects especially with our current generosity to encourage idleness.

Mate idleness of a minority costs us a fraction in the scheme of things. The UK's debt is not because Ronnie Pickering and his ilk want to sit on the sofa in their ball stranglers scratching their balls and eating smart price monster munch instead of working.
How many is so many?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending