The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do some people refuse to accept that some rape allegations are false?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrotgrot
Because it's rape when the woman decides it is: no more, no less.

I love you you say "Woman" here, as if to give the illusion that women are the only people that can be victims of rape. People like you make me sick.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Whenever a rape allegation manages to reach the public eye, and is later thrown out of court, or the defendant found not guilty, you always have a plethora of feminists posting

"Just because he was acquitted/found not guilty doesn't mean it wasn't rape!".

By their own logic, every time someone is found guilty of rape they should be posting

"Just because he was found guilty doesn't mean it was rape!".

Why? It's because some people are downright retarded. End of story.
Original post by Xelfrost
I love you you say "Woman" here, as if to give the illusion that women are the only people that can be victims of rape. People like you make me sick.

Smh you're like the 4th person to quote me thinking I'm being serious instead of sarcastic
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Whenever a rape allegation manages to reach the public eye, and is later thrown out of court, or the defendant found not guilty, you always have a plethora of feminists posting

"Just because he was acquitted/found not guilty doesn't mean it wasn't rape!".

By their own logic, every time someone is found guilty of rape they should be posting

"Just because he was found guilty doesn't mean it was rape!".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9894588/Compulsive-liar-jailed-after-11-false-rape-claims-in-decade.html

she must be back on the streets by now. beware.
Because unfortunately, modern feminists are crazy. :woo:

'"The man was arrested and he gave a statement - he had to live his life with people accusing him of being a rapist," he said.'
It's ruining people's lives even though they didn't do it.. :angry:
(edited 8 years ago)
Smh you're like the 4th person to quote me thinking I'm being serious instead of sarcastic

Warning: This post may contain sarcasm.

Oh, well in that case I take it back. Sorry, sarcasm is a little difficult to understand over the internet ^^
Reply 47
There is a huge stigma attached to being accused as a sex offender, and even if proven to be innocent, it takes a long time for people to disassociate your name from the term 'sex offender' or 'rapist'. I think the problem often is that people just don't know what classifies as rape.

False rape accusations are very rare, especially malicious ones. However, rape can be subjective to a lot of people. For example, if a girl agrees to go home with a guy, but is drunk and falls asleep, and the guy wakes her up to have sex with her, and she doesn't say no, but also gives no sign of wanting or enjoying it, does it count as rape? In the girls mind, she does not want to have sex with this guy. She doesn't kiss him back or make a sound. In the guys mind, she doesn't explicitly say no and she agreed to go home with him, so he assumes it's okay. This girl could accuse the guy of rape. It could go to court and he could be charged. Or, there won't be enough evidence and he won't be charged. The girl will get abuse for falsely accusing the guy of rape, even though she still believes it was. The guy will get abused for being a sex offender because 'there's no smoke without fire', even though he firmly believes he did nothing wrong.

Who's right?
Reply 48
A large proportion of Feminism needs to be placed in the same category has religious apologists: pathetic. They both claim to be about inclusion but really have an agenda of oppressing people who don't agree with them.

A great example is the pay gap: I have yet to see a recognised Feminist discuss the countless academic papers that refute this. Simply dismissing it because it hurts their feelings doesn't count. Religious people hurt my feelings but that does not mean they should be banned from believing in a supreme being.
Original post by Nerol
There is a huge stigma attached to being accused as a sex offender, and even if proven to be innocent, it takes a long time for people to disassociate your name from the term 'sex offender' or 'rapist'. I think the problem often is that people just don't know what classifies as rape.

False rape accusations are very rare, especially malicious ones. However, rape can be subjective to a lot of people. For example, if a girl agrees to go home with a guy, but is drunk and falls asleep, and the guy wakes her up to have sex with her, and she doesn't say no, but also gives no sign of wanting or enjoying it, does it count as rape? In the girls mind, she does not want to have sex with this guy. She doesn't kiss him back or make a sound. In the guys mind, she doesn't explicitly say no and she agreed to go home with him, so he assumes it's okay. This girl could accuse the guy of rape. It could go to court and he could be charged. Or, there won't be enough evidence and he won't be charged. The girl will get abuse for falsely accusing the guy of rape, even though she still believes it was. The guy will get abused for being a sex offender because 'there's no smoke without fire', even though he firmly believes he did nothing wrong.

Who's right?

the only valid point so far, but I'd say that what is the guy's problem thinking it's okay to have sex with someone who's just been blackout drunk? Idc if the lines are blurred, why are men so desperate to bone that they'll use the excuse of 'well she didn't say no', but the woman is not moving or kissing back, etc.
Reply 50
Original post by jennyh14
the only valid point so far, but I'd say that what is the guy's problem thinking it's okay to have sex with someone who's just been blackout drunk? Idc if the lines are blurred, why are men so desperate to bone that they'll use the excuse of 'well she didn't say no', but the woman is not moving or kissing back, etc.

i see you're new here. please dont bump three year old threads.
Crying rape is fashionable. Makes real men scared to date.
The concept of “innocent until proven guilty” is an absolute must in any legal system. Otherwise everybody faces the risk that they are one day accused and punished for something they didn’t do, and nobody is safe.

The issue with rape is that it is so difficult to prove. If he claims you consented to whatever happened and you claim that you didn’t, it’s really just one person’s word against another. With the principle of innocent until proven guilty, it is quite a bit more likely that a guilty person will go unpunished, than an innocent person will be punished (although it has been known to happen the other way round as well). So it’s true when people say that “just because someone was found not guilty doesn’t mean it wasn’t rape, or it was a false allegation”. There’s a reasonable chance that it was rape, but that there just wasn’t enough evidence to prove it.

Now the problem is, there’s not really much that can be done about it. We can’t relax the principle of innocent until proven guilty, so it will always be easy for people to rape and escape punishment for it.

Perhaps the best thing that a rape victim can do is report it the very next day rather than keeping quiet about it or reporting it several years later. That would give it a better chance of being proven.
Original post by tazarooni89
The concept of “innocent until proven guilty” is an absolute must in any legal system. Otherwise everybody faces the risk that they are one day accused and punished for something they didn’t do, and nobody is safe.

The issue with rape is that it is so difficult to prove. If he claims you consented to whatever happened and you claim that you didn’t, it’s really just one person’s word against another. With the principle of innocent until proven guilty, it is quite a bit more likely that a guilty person will go unpunished, than an innocent person will be punished (although it has been known to happen the other way round as well). So it’s true when people say that “just because someone was found not guilty doesn’t mean it wasn’t rape, or it was a false allegation”. There’s a reasonable chance that it was rape, but that there just wasn’t enough evidence to prove it.

Now the problem is, there’s not really much that can be done about it. We can’t relax the principle of innocent until proven guilty, so it will always be easy for people to rape and escape punishment for it.

Perhaps the best thing that a rape victim can do is report it the very next day rather than keeping quiet about it or reporting it several years later. That would give it a better chance of being proven.

Trump said something similar the other day.
It has to be said, for an innocent man the accusation alone is the sentence and in many cases it's a life sentence.
Original post by Just my opinion
It has to be said, for an innocent man the accusation alone is the sentence and in many cases it's a life sentence.

I would suggest that in cases of rape (or perhaps any crime for that matter), the defendant should have the legal right to anonymity until and unless they are found guilty.
Whilst not for any crime I would agree for rape/sexual assaults.
It used to be that way
The argument for that stands for anonymity of the alleged victim ( shame etc) stands for the accused.
People frequently bring up encouraging other victims to come forward but figures I saw some time back said the large majority of rape cases don't result in others coming forward. (Sorry Ican't recall the numbers)
Original post by Just my opinion

Yet somehow the president and latest supreme court judge weren't affected at all. Who would have thought.
Some people think women are incapable of lying. It's a form of dehumanisation.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
A lot of feminists seem to be okay with totally throwing "innocent until proven guilty" completely out of the window when it comes to rape allegations.

Something about fighting "rape culture" I imagine...

Accepting innocence until proven guilty is absolutely not the same as believing the prosecutor is lying..,

Perhaps those feminists are just more logical than you?
Original post by Waldorf67
Accepting innocence until proven guilty is absolutely not the same as believing the prosecutor is lying..,

Perhaps those feminists are just more logical than you?

Why the ****'s this thread back?

Generally though, some people big on the ol' feminist movement tend to paint a pciture of "this man is a rapist" when the case has barely gone anywhere beyond the accused being named, and there's no real reason to believe or disbelieve either party. You'll see it when they get into stats: I've seen statistics before where they've equated cases where the accused was not charged with rape with rapists that have got away with it, which is not the same thing. Would find an example but this is an old thread that I'm only going to bump the once, so this is minimal effort.

Of course not everybody is this dumb, hence the use of "a lot of" to qualify that I did not mean "All feminists", or necessarily a big proportion of them as a group (I've never taken a census of feminists, you understand)

In conclusion I feel like you've argued against a point that wasn't mine. Perhaps you'd do better to learn the principle of charity for any future sessions of online slamming of the opposition.

All the best xox

Latest

Trending

Trending