The Student Room Group

Alcohol is the most dangerous drug in the world, yet widely accepted. Why?

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/RExGGlDCFw6-nEOe73NEo9_w5nw=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3369928/most_dangerous_drugs.0.png

Click the link above for reference - picture is too big!

A&E visits for alcohol poisoning 'double in six years'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35151246

Why is it still so unregulated and widely accepted?

P.S Not calling for a ban just more regulation on how and where it's consumed......
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because it makes boring people like you more fun
Reply 2
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

I will pass your comments onto my solicitor. Will see how much beer money you have left.
Original post by Bill_Gates

Why is it still so unregulated and widely accepted?

Purely because it was there before regulation was seen as desirable or necessary, and because the example of US prohibition does not hold out much hope that banning it would be either successful in reducing its consumption or devoid of unfortunate unintended consequences.

The same applies to a ban on smoking, of course.

Had either been invented now, with knowledge of their attributes, they would never become available without heavy regulation.
Because anyone can make it. See The Prohibition for more details.

I'm off to drop a few tabs of acid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Good bloke
Purely because it was there before regulation was seen as desirable or necessary, and because the example of US prohibition does not hold out much hope that banning it would be either successful in reducing its consumption or devoid of unfortunate unintended consequences.

The same applies to a ban on smoking, of course.

Had either been invented now, with knowledge of their attributes, they would never become available without heavy regulation.

I'm not calling for an all out ban just more regulation of alcohol. How it's priced, how it's consumed etc.
I will pass your comments onto my solicitor. Will see how much beer money you have left.

More than you because he isn't paying for a solicitor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
More than you because he isn't paying for a solicitor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not how it works.............
Reply 8
Some life advice....
A bit of what you like, does you good.
It depends on how much youre willing to sacrifice for that "buzz feeling". By that I mean your dignity for starters. Youre more than likely to end up doing stupid things whilst drunk and also say silly things too. Then youre risking your relations with people as what you slurp out can directly have an impact on them.

Above all your health. This is the number one reason why I havent consumed alcohol and never will. It destroys the human liver.

why this is allowed? I dont know really.
That's not how it works.............

You pay him in sex?!
What is and what is not legal is determined more by social perceptions that relative risk of a given substance.

Alcohol is widely accepted because it has always been that way. Other substances are treated with suspicion. Until the majority of Brits, particularly those of Conservative leanings, break free from the mindset that the nanny state should regulate what you put in your body, that will not change.
It isn't the most dangerous drug. It causes the most adverse health effects in the population because of the sheer number of people who consume it regularly. Like for like however, it is significantly safer than a lot of illegal drugs. Even a relatively safe drug like MDMA, if consumed weekly like people do alcohol, would cause much worse long term effects.

This of course isn't even touching on how stupid it would be to criminalise it.
Original post by Good bloke
Purely because it was there

Because anyone can make it.
Posted from TSR Mobile

These two reasons - it has been around before recorded history, and is very easy to make.

But it's wrong to think it isn't regulated. It's taxed, sold only to certain people, only available with a license etc. etc. There are plans to introduce minimum unit pricing in parts of the UK.
Original post by the terminator
It depends on how much youre willing to sacrifice for that "buzz feeling". By that I mean your dignity for starters. Youre more than likely to end up doing stupid things whilst drunk and also say silly things too. Then youre risking your relations with people as what you slurp out can directly have an impact on them.

Above all your health. This is the number one reason why I havent consumed alcohol and never will. It destroys the human liver.

why this is allowed? I dont know really.

valid point

You pay him in sex?!

Original post by Schrödingers Cat

Trolling for rep points. Nice.
valid point

Trolling for rep points. Nice.

I don't need rep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Because anyone can make it. See The Prohibition for more details.

I'm off to drop a few tabs of acid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Louis goons who finna trip on LSD acid tabs, let em innnn
Original post by sera_m8
Louis goons who finna trip on LSD acid tabs, let em innnn

I need a translator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I need a translator.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was singing Yung Lean to you