The Student Room Group

Physics Unit 4 - Capacitors Help!!!

Hey guys. Studying for the paper tomorrow. Can you help me with this question?
phy.PNG
How is D the answer?
Reply 1
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Hey guys. Studying for the paper tomorrow. Can you help me with this question?
phy.PNG
How is D the answer?

You have to use the formula Qx 0.5 = Q x e blah blah
I tried sending the answer in a picture but it doesnt let me
Hi. If you use the equation Q = Q0 x E ^-t/RC and rearrange you can get D as the answer. i've attached the working I did:Capacitor Working.jpg
Hope this helps! If you're unsure about any bit feel free to ask!
Reply 3
Original post by VeeDubSpecs
Hi. If you use the equation Q = Q0 x E ^-t/RC and rearrange you can get D as the answer. i've attached the working I did:Capacitor Working.jpg

or remember the answer is referring to half life of the capacitor kinda thing which is 69% so 5x69% gives you 3.45 which is 3.5 (2sf).
Original post by raman_17
or remember the answer is referring to half life of the capacitor kinda thing which is 69% so 5x69% gives you 3.45 which is 3.5 (2sf).

That's a good point! Hadn't thought of that
Original post by VeeDubSpecs

Thank You!! Understood!!
Original post by raman_17

The half life of a capacitor is 69%? And why do you multiply it by the time constant?
Reply 7
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
The half life of a capacitor is 69%? And why do you multiply it by the time constant?

As its referring to "time taken" to reduce to half which is the half life of the capacitor

Quick Reply

Latest