The Student Room Group

If guns were legal, would you own one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moonkatt
They're both a load of crap. The A2 was a slight improvement, I noticed my cocking handle didn't fall off as much, but you still had the issue with sand that they had with the A1 in sandy environments.

The L98, being a cadet weapon isn't even semi auto, you have to cock it each time you want to fire, there's nothing semi auto about it. I'd feel safer defending my house with a nerd gun than that green plastic abomination.

There are much better assault rifles out there than the ones the British army use. I had a play with a Colt commando once which was pretty nifty, lightweight and simple to use.

Not that any of these sorts of weapons are appropriate for home defence anyway, unless you're willing to accept the collateral damage of high velocity rounds going through your target, into members of your family or other innocent bystanders.

They're accurate weapons though, pistols and PDW's for home defence however
yes i am considering a deactivated handgun which i can reactivate as it was a pre-88 decommission
Original post by sleepysnooze
definitely - I wouldn't need to fear a mugging if I were to go out on the streets in a shady neighbourhood (assuming I had to go to one) with a handgun; nobody is going to risk their life for my wallet.

Well, you'd be much more likely to be mugged at gunpoint in the first place.

The L98, being a cadet weapon isn't even semi auto, you have to cock it each time you want to fire, there's nothing semi auto about it. I'd feel safer defending my house with a nerd gun than that green plastic abomination.

The L98 is semi-auto. If you remove the gas parts then you would have to cock it each time, like the l85. Furthermore, when you say 'plastic' what are you trying to get at, it's mostly metal.
The L98 is exactly the same as the l85 in everything but the ability to fire full auto, and it is possible to make the l98 go full auto, but idk how.
Original post by balanced
The L98 is semi-auto. If you remove the gas parts then you would have to cock it each time, like the l85. Furthermore, when you say 'plastic' what are you trying to get at, it's mostly metal.
The L98 is exactly the same as the l85 in everything but the ability to fire full auto, and it is possible to make the l98 go full auto, but idk how.

You insert the gas plug at a different angle (think it's six o'clock for auto)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I would.

I see it's changed since I left the forces, cadets weren't allowed to use semi auto weapons at the time.

The plastic comment was more of s joke than anything, the GP in the weapon babe standing for green plastic, though there are a number of plastic parts in that weapon system, many of which I've broken off in the past.

Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

The position of the gas plug does nothing to the rate of fire, repositioning it is part of the gas stoppage drill that you sometimes have to do after firing loads of rounds and clogging up the gas plug with carbon. Also, inserting your gas plug at six o clock is a sure fire way to fall out with the armourers.

There's probably an illegal way to doctor the trigger mechanism to make them fire full auto, or you could probably just swap your trigger mechanism housing for one with a selector switch.

Anyway, this is veering off topic now, so I'm not going to comment again.
(edited 8 years ago)
A neighborhood with guns doesn't deserve the grace of yours truly
The position of the gas plug does nothing to the rate of fire, repositioning it is part of the gas stoppage drill that you sometimes have to do after firing loads of rounds snd clogging up the gas plug with carbon.
There's probably an illegal way to doctor the trigger mechanism to make them fire full auto, or you could probably just swap your trigger mechanism housing for one with a selector switch.

Anyway, this is veering off topic now, so I'm not going to comment again.

I thought I remembered someone doing it at cadets:s-smilie:

Ahhh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would, but I'd never carry one. I'd love a marksman's rifle for purely visual purposes, just for decoration really :lol:
Yes, for self defence. I guarantee it would prove to be useful in 10 years or so :smile:
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo... perhaps I shall try this as the opposition, provided there are no higher ranks than me present lol.
Original post by Alexion
I would, but I'd never carry one. I'd love a marksman's rifle for purely visual purposes, just for decoration really :lol:

Then buy an airsoft one, they are pretty similar looking, and if you pay enough, are metal, but you'd need a license I guess :/
I would, I'd want a l85 a2, l96 a1, glock 17 and maybe an ar15/m4 carbine.

Naming as many guns from COD that he knows off the top of his head..
Original post by Bobjim12
Naming as many guns from COD that he knows off the top of his head..

I've never owned cod? I personally like the l85 because it's basically the same as the l98, which I teach about and love. I just listed some other 'respected' weapons alongside. I'd prefer a game such as arma III over cod, just so you know ;p
I've never owned cod? I personally like the l85 because it's basically the same as the l98, which I teach about and love. I just listed some other 'respected' weapons alongside. I'd prefer a game such as arma III over cod, just so you know ;p

only banter, but i agree, cod sucks
Reply 136
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
I would own several. I'd put one in every room of the house and one by the door and one in the cupboards. I'd also put a few in the car. Shotguns, handguns, submachine guns and assault rifles, the whole lot. It's a dangerous world out there, it's always good to stay protected. And I'd like to carry a concealed handgun on me at all times if the law were to allow it.

Exactly this. We can't even carry pepper spray!!! I would make sure no one knows i have one accept the authorities and my family.
Then buy an airsoft one, they are pretty similar looking, and if you pay enough, are metal, but you'd need a license I guess :/

Hmm, it's not the same...
Original post by Plagioclase
Well, you'd be much more likely to be mugged at gunpoint in the first place.

1) I said "if I had to go to one (a bad neighbourhood) (if you meant "more likely" like this)
2) I wouldn't be more likely simply because of having a gun, if it's small enough to conceal (if you meant that)
No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending