The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gavin2016
So if the doctors told you that your son due to be born would be homosexual as he had a dominant gene for homosexuality. Would you replace that gene with another of yours (a straight version) if given the choice by doctors to stop your child becoming homosexual later in life? Hypothetical situation of course.

I'm interested to see how peoples response change if you change the question. Where it becomes:

"If you had to choose your child's sexuality, what would you choose.?"

Original post by Lady Comstock
We end up with designer babies if we go down that route.

I think designer babies are a good thing.
I'd replace the faulty genes in everyone if I had the chance, but nothing more....... So no

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if the doctors told you that your son due to be born would be homosexual as he had a dominant gene for homosexuality. Would you replace that gene with another of yours (a straight version) if given the choice by doctors to stop your child becoming homosexual later in life? Hypothetical situation of course.

Yes simply because I wouldn't want to put my child through unnecesary difficlties. Despite being an overt believer in gay rights and all of that jazz, it's undoubtedly made life more difficult for me and most other gay people I know so yes... not sure why any parent would willing want to watch their child suffer.

That being said, some of the responses here are ridiculous: "I'd want my child to be a real man" - didn't know women were exempt from being homosexual, how peculiar. Or, "no straight person is all for the whole gay thing as much as you think they are. No straight couple want their kids to be in a loving gay relationship." - No. No they don't but ask yourself why that is and you find the real issue. Also, I would hope a lot of parents now just don't pre-imagine their child's life - I personally, despite being gay myself, wouldn't WANT anything eitherway. I'd just be happy my child is happy and hurt if he/she's hurt and do all I can to help them. It's unchangeable anyway so this conversation is stupid but the support some of these comments have gotten is really quite upsetting. It shows just how much of an issue it still is - "gay rights is pointless blah you have all the rights you need blah blah" - so what? If attitudes are the same then the issue is still relevant. Same goes for feminism - you all kick and scream about it without accepting that, actually, people are still generally bastards to women in this world or expect things of women and so the movement still catches wind.

I hope you all grow up one day. Fab', adios.
Original post by Cheato
Hmm I think if most were honest they would. If you have gay children, they're unlikely to produce you grandchildren. Nearly every parents wants grandchildren don't they?

Nearly every parent should realise their children have the right to their own happiness. They don't exist to produce grandchildren for the parents to dote on, ergo not a real valid reason for anything being discussed, ergo just parental greed and selfishness.
How about a gene that makes people ask stupid questions on TSR?
Would I replace that? :question:

Hmmmm, probably. :biggrin:

Original post by BlackSweetness
GOD YESSS!
Would do it in a heartbeat'!
I want my son to grow up as a proper man. (Not saying homosexuals arent real men btw)

GOD YESSS!
Would do it in a heartbeat'!
I want my son to grow up as a proper man. (Not saying homosexuals arent real men btw)

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Yes i want grandkids.

Anyone who says yes are being selfish for grandchildren
Original post by Andy98
I'd replace the faulty genes in everyone if I had the chance, but nothing more....... So no

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM.
Yes... Without a doubt.
Original post by ckfeister

Yeah because i want normal straight children, im selfish!

Good one pal

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with being selfish. Having children is often selfish, is it not?
Yeah because i want normal straight children, im selfish!

Good one pal

Whats wrong with homosexuals? Just because they go on the mother side not yours? Also, this manly stuff makes me laugh my family does that too but only the middle/old generation.

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with being selfish. Having children is often selfish, is it not?

No.
No.

You bring a child into the world for your own enjoyment and in some cases, to fill a some parental desire or hole in life.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You bring a child into the world for your own enjoyment and in some cases, to fill a some parental desire or hole in life.

You raise them in your own way, as well as being fair to them you don't tell them what to do as a job, for lifestyle. You don't really own them you just raise them up and they do to the next generation and next. Changing their genes just because you don't like it shows you don't love the child you're getting and would rather mess about with its personality before it was born.

What about if it causes issues and causes it to die while in surgery? Will you have full regret? Or not? What would you think if it gave it disability though it as something went wrong?
What if the gene swap make them depresed in the future and you never told him what you did and soon found out and hated you forever and never talked to you ever again? You wouldn't see your " grandchildren " now would ya.
Original post by *Stefan*
I don't think the same goes for disabilities, at least in what I think you're referring to. I am talking about disabilities which lead to disfigurement, loss of mental capacity or loss of physical capacity. Did you refer to something else? In such cases, a person can never have a normal life, pursuant to the confinements imposed by such liabilities.

Even if you argue "acceptance" here, with a homosexual you have to accept the preferences of the person. It does not affect you personally at all. With a disabled person, you'd have to accept the significant difficulty of communication (with regards to mental disabilities), the difficulty of movements (with physical ones) and so on. Hence, the two are actually opposites rather than similar.

I would never "understand" or even try to understand someone who wishes to change the skin of their child. If people are discriminating you on this basis, they're not worth having in your life, full stop. If it's about employers or whatnot, you have the law.

That's okay, you don't have to think the same for disabilities, but other people do.
I wasn't referring to any disabilities in particular, but it's only really severe disabilities that would make this comparison so different and especially with the ability to manage most disabilities, one can enjoy a moderately happy life.
In terms of disfigurement, anyone can still do the things you've stated.
Like you said, with the support of friends and family, that invidiual could be happy.

You are referring to the most extreme disabilities. Most disabilities are not as extreme as you are describing. In addition, one would also have to accept that they may face certain challenges that would need to be overcome, particularly in the workforce and the outside world.This can also be said for homosexuality and other members of the LGBT community.

Like I said, it's only when you are discussing extreme life limiting disabilities that this becomes an issue. Most disabilities are not as debilitating as your example.
I'm not saying they're identical but they are similar.

Its not so much about altering the skin of an existing child, because In most cases, you are choosing the skin colour of your baby purely by who you choose to have a child with.
I'm referring to people who purposely have a child with someone to avoid their child having a particular skin colour. They're within their right to do that & may feel that they don't want their kid to grow up and be discriminated against. I can understand that.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I'm interested to see how peoples response change if you change the question. Where it becomes:

"If you had to choose your child's sexuality, what would you choose.?"

I think designer babies are a good thing.

My answer would be the same. I'd still choose heterosexual and I'm sure most people would.
Original post by *Stefan*
Not to intrude or anything, but your argument is invalid. One would "change" a disabled child because disabilities directly affect your physical or mental capabilities. Homosexuality does neither. The two cannot be compared, and thus they do not propose a contradiction.

You do have some sort of obsession on the topic of incest eh? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Save me from this never ending argument! Lol
The poll results are very interesting.

At the moment of writing, 112-112. TSR split... :holmes:
Original post by cherryred90s
You can't seem to get it in your head that you have demonstrated no logical argument as to what makes the two so different.
You really are having trouble reading.
There is more than one type of Christian.
There are other religions aside from Christianity.
Religion is not the only reason why someone would prefer a heterosexual over a homosexual. Their reasons are no different to why you would rather not have a disabled child, so please stop with bashing religion. Nobody is telling you to be religious, but it gives you no right to talk badly about it just because the views of religion are different to yours.
This only offends you because you are homosexual. You are not disabled which is why you have no problem altering a disabled child.

I'm fully aware that racism is still prevalent. I'm black and no I wouldn't choose for my child to be white. I clearly have first hand experience of being an ethnic minority so I know how to handle myself living in a predominantly white society.
Who said anything about raising a child to believe that differences is wrong?

My main point here is that your initial comment was contradictory considering you said you wouldn't change a homosexual child but you would change a disabled child.

Do you support incest?

I'm going to say this one more time so listen up: disabilities cause problems for people OUTSIDE of prejudice, surely you can't believe that the only thing that would bother a disabled person is not being accepted by others? Constantly having to take medication, pain, inability to learn none of which seem to have anything to do with bigotry. Homosexuality however, is only seen as something bad because of ignorance and prejudice-literally the only reason! So if you quote me again saying that they are the same I'll just assume you haven't read my post and are just continuously copying the same 'argument' you have made previously, I am not repeating myself again. Also, you seemed to have missed the point when I mentioned the bible (as an example), as I said, you are perfectly entitled to believe whatever you want but if you start a debate with me surrounding an issue that often brings up religion, I am going to challenge it! And there is plenty to challenge when it comes to EVERY religion. You have completely contradicted yourself when saying you wouldn't want to raise your child to believe that differences are wrong, that's exactly what you would be doing if you changed their genetics to make you happy. No, don't support incest (unlike certain religious texts) because of the obvious defects of lack of diversity in the gene pool, I'm bored of this argument now, I've made my points and you've ignored them, good day!
Hmmmmmm~

I said No.. because I'm guessing it would mean that the 'being an idiot' virus from which would be suffering from, would have to be inoculated first
Of course I would, what kind of a question is that? :eek:

The poll shows just how brainwashed half of these students are I guess they would also keep their future children blind or autistic on the basis of nearsighted ‘support in any circumstances’. What about all the hardship that comes with homosexuality regardless of how the rest of the society perceive it? You don't deserve to have children and I hope you'll grow out of this insanity before you procreate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending