The Student Room Group

Drink driving

Has anyone been done for drink driving? or been breath tested but got away with being under the limit?

Do you think UK laws are too harsh? In Australia the minimum ban is as little as 3 months unlike 12 months in Britain and there is the option of having an alcohol interlock fitted to the car as an alternative to a ban. Should that be considered here?

Earlier I was listening to the radio and the host sheepishly admitted on air that he'd been done the other day for Drink Driving, their was a phone in and many people sympathised with him, as well as a few saucy jokes.

Should more leniency be put on younger drivers as they are less experience to the rules and older/experienced drivers should know better?

So let's us know your views and experiences.
I don't think the law is harsh enough, drink driving is a killer and anyone caught should be punished severely.
Reply 2
The UK laws are not too harsh, if anything they should be harsher. Drink driving does not just put you at risk, you risk the lives of everyone around you. My opinion is that drink driving is really selfish and I have no sympathy for people who do it. Younger drivers should not get more leniency... that's like saying "Oh, you nearly killed someone but you're young so just don't do it again". No. It is a selfish thing to do.
Original post by Ambitious1999

Should more leniency be put on younger drivers as they are less experience to the rules and older/experienced drivers should know better?

You must be joking? Absolutely not.
Original post by MountKimbie
You must be joking? Absolutely not.

My thread was based of the afternoon discussion on radio where the host/ dj admitted he was caught the other day and a lot of people on the phone in said the punishments are too strict and aim to penalise rather than educate.

Some suggested the Australian idea of an interlock where offenders have the lock fitted to their vehicle and must provide a breath sample to start their car, it's programmed so that the device only recognises the lips of the driver to stop someone else providing a sample. This is often an option where a ban could result in driver losing their job or need to drive if they're a carer or disabled.

Should all new cars be fitted with an alcohol interlock to stop any one drink driving?
My thread was based of the afternoon discussion on radio where the host/ dj admitted he was caught the other day and a lot of people on the phone in said the punishments are too strict and aim to penalise rather than educate.

Some suggested the Australian idea of an interlock where offenders have the lock fitted to their vehicle and must provide a breath sample to start their car, it's programmed so that the device only recognises the lips of the driver to stop someone else providing a sample. This is often an option where a ban could result in driver losing their job or need to drive if they're a carer or disabled.

Should all new cars be fitted with an alcohol interlock to stop any one drink driving?

Then they lose their job. If you are a carer, and you are consuming enough alcohol to be considered over the limit in the eyes of the law when you could require your vehicle, you should not be a carer. I don't think cars should be fitted with an alcohol interlock though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Only an idiot drinks and drives, punishments should be harsher tbh. Drinking and driving just shows that you have no consideration for the safety of other road users and I have absolutely no respect or sympathy for a person like that.
People should use their own common sense when it comes to having a drink then getting in the car after.
Reply 8
Agree with all the above replies. Drink driving is a crime and shouldn't be considered anything else. It kills.

... are you kidding me
Has anyone been done for drink driving? or been breath tested but got away with being under the limit?

Do you think UK laws are too harsh? In Australia the minimum ban is as little as 3 months unlike 12 months in Britain and there is the option of having an alcohol interlock fitted to the car as an alternative to a ban. Should that be considered here?

Earlier I was listening to the radio and the host sheepishly admitted on air that he'd been done the other day for Drink Driving, their was a phone in and many people sympathised with him, as well as a few saucy jokes.

So let's us know your views and experiences.

The punishments in Australia may seem less harsh but the amount of alcohol you are allowed to have in your system and drive is also a LOT less than allowed in the UK. I assume then, that the sentence of a ban for 3 months would be for those caught barely over the limit whereas harsher penalties would be incurred by those who were more over?

Besides, which of the punishments / penalties in the UK are too harsh? I believe most are too lenient tbh :judge:
Original post by Alexion
Agree with all the above replies. Drink driving is a crime and shouldn't be considered anything else. It kills.

... are you kidding me

But so does speeding kill and running red lights but they don't often result in a ban or even a court appearance or criminal record.

The irony with speeding is you can see you're doing wrong by looking at your speedometer, but someone has a drink the night before and has no clue that they're over the limit the next morning. DD is perhaps the only crime where you don't know the threshold when it becomes a crime.
Unlike shoplifting for example where you can't be over or under the shoplifting limit. You either steal or not steal there is no grey area.
(edited 8 years ago)
But so does speeding kill and running red lights but they don't often result in a ban or even a court appearance or criminal record.

The irony with speeding is you can see you're doing wrong by looking at your speedometer, but someone has a drink the night before and has no clue that they're over the limit the next morning. DD is perhaps the only crime where you don't know the threshold when it becomes a crime.
Unlike shoplifting for example where you can't be over or under the shoplifting limit. You either steal or not steal there is no grey area.

1: You can still get a driving ban for dangerous driving if you're not drunk, ya wally. You kill someone while running a red light, you're done for manslaughter.
2: Sensible people take precautions to prevent themselves from drink driving, i.e. not drive when they're going to be drinking *duh*
3: There have been calls to lower the DD limit even further. Any alcohol is too much alcohol if you're driving.
Reply 12
Just take an Uber or a bicycle. Can't get done for drunk cycling :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexion
1: You can still get a driving ban for dangerous driving if you're not drunk, ya wally. You kill someone while running a red light, you're done for manslaughter.
2: Sensible people take precautions to prevent themselves from drink driving, i.e. not drive when they're going to be drinking *duh*
3: There have been calls to lower the DD limit even further. Any alcohol is too much alcohol if you're driving.

True it is stupid to drive when you know full well you'd be over the limit or incapable of driving safely, that is committing an offence with intent.

But the difficult area comes when a person has not had a drink for many hours or maybe it's the morning after and they feel totally sober but still have enough alcohol in their system to fail a breath test.

1) How do they prove that they didn't know they were over the limit and therefore were not committing an offence with wilful intent?

2) Ok after a lot of drinking the night before, maybe drivers should consider they might be still over the limit in the morning, but at what time do you draw the line? Over the limit at 8am but ok to drive at 10am? Its a lot of sheer guess work that could ruin your life if you get it wrong.

Courts and "The Police" fail to take these matters into account. Same as drunk in charge, person has had several drinks, gets out of bed walks to their car in their PJs to retrieve a CD during the night 'The police" see them and arrest them for been drunk in charge.

Or the camper-van driver parked in a lay-by, has supper and bottle of wine before bed, engine off and cold, awning out, no intention of driving anywhere for the next day or so. "The police" however have other thoughts and do for him for drunk in charge.

With other crimes intent etc has to be proven but with DD these matters just arn't explored.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nurne
Just take an Uber or a bicycle. Can't get done for drunk cycling :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending