The Student Room Group

Do you think prison is a good way to punish criminals?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ElaArslan
Medical research hahahahah that's not bad! I'm going ask another question.. Don't you think these 'serious criminals' have some sort of backgrounds to them? Maybe not enough love and affection at home - therefore gradually becoming mentally ill then commiting crimes?

Yeah very likely, maybe they can add a cocktail of drugs when they're in the lab to correct their chemical imbalances in the brain 😂
Original post by MasonM
Well there's loads of stuff wrong with prison. For instance it's mental torture and a lot of people get raped/abused or just plain go crazy and come out worse than what they went in. Lots of drugs in prison, believe it or not. And once you've been prison it drastically reduces your chances of getting a decent job so naturally thieves go back to stealing or druggies go back into depression and start using again.

Most of the prison population is made up of low level offenders, usually young with no violence history and you gotta ask yourself if education would be better.

they also get sim cards snuck in too
Reply 22
Original post by sch30
Yeah very likely, maybe they can add a cocktail of drugs when they're in the lab to correct their chemical imbalances in the brain 😂

Im not even sure if you're serious or not😂 But thanks for your input
Of course! It's better than releasing them,no?
Reply 24
Original post by Sameerio
Of course! It's better than releasing them,no?

Obviously, however there are indications that prison doesn't actually help most people.
Obviously, however there are indications that prison doesn't actually help most people.

Well, it stops them hurting people.
Reply 26
Original post by Sameerio
Well, it stops them hurting people.

Sure, for the amount of time they're in there. But once most come out they reoffend.
Sure, for the amount of time they're in there. But once most come out they reoffend.

Prison is for making criminals reflect on their actions so that they don't do it again. If that doesn't stop them, god knows what will.
Any sentence is a life sentence, since the very fact you go to prison means you get a criminal record, which employers are entitled to see. And if they see you have a criminal record, do they even want to employ you any more?! Basically, don't even commit one crime because it'll "remove" your right to a living, and the only way to continue to live is to go back to prison, because at least you'll get food and shelter.
Reply 29
Therapy for the mentally ill? Rehab for the drug addicts? There's a variety of options but they're all just dumped into prison and people wonder why there are reoffenders.
Reply 30
Original post by shawn_o1
Any sentence is a life sentence, since the very fact you go to prison means you get a criminal record, which employers are entitled to see. And if they see you have a criminal record, do they even want to employ you any more?! Basically, don't even commit one crime because it'll "remove" your right to a living, and the only way to continue to live is to go back to prison, because at least you'll get food and shelter.

I love that interpretation!
Where else would prisoners go? The original creation of prisons at least in some countries in the West was to separate madmen during war or unrest from the rest of society.

Who wouldn't want that?
There has been theory that the prisons now benefit financially from housing inmates, orrrrrr that the penal system and legal system work hand in hand to control a certain group.IE: mathematical statistics being used to predict when black kids would commit a crime, and those cells are financially prepared for them beforehand.

But the original purpose of prisons is a damn good one: keep the weird evil bastards away from us. And while they're there, make sure they don't riot or break out, hence guards and prison policies etc. Which I'm all for.
Reply 32
Original post by Dinasaurus
I think for certain crimes criminals should be tortured, especially those who are 'happy' about what they did or got some pleasure from it. Definitely not killed though.

Lol, as if the death penalty if worse than torture, I'm sorry but that statement is fundamentally flawed.
Reply 33
Original post by mango peeler
Who wouldn't want that?
There has been theory that the prisons now benefit financially from housing inmates, orrrrrr that the penal system and legal system work hand in hand to control a certain group.IE: mathematical statistics being used to predict when black kids would commit a crime, and those cells are financially prepared for them beforehand.

Im sorry but I don't understand what you were trying to say here? Isn't prison for the population and not for certain groups? Sorry if I misinterpreted
No, hard labour is though.
Im sorry but I don't understand what you were trying to say here? Isn't prison for the population and not for certain groups? Sorry if I misinterpreted

I said there are some theories that prisons benefit from housing people. I then provided an example which would be privatisation of prisons--or--private sector controlling existing prisons or opening new ones, and getting paid to arrest people because the government dollars that goes into housing the inmates, turns into personal profit. That is my only issue with prisons but the initial reason for prisons is to protect the population, as I also said. And yes for certain groups prisons have been made them target, according to some theories, which I provided just now.
Original post by DiddyDec
No, hard labour is though.

So you don't want serial killers locked away? And you want to live next door to them and a registered sex offender who never got arrested for what he did? The answer is whether it's a good way, not the only good way.
So you don't want serial killers locked away? And you want to live next door to them and a registered sex offender who never got arrested for what he did? The answer is whether it's a good way, not the only good way.

How can a registered sex offender be registered if they were never arrested?

Prison alone is not a good way of punishing people. You need to actually punish people, the best and most productive way is to put them to work, hard work.
Reply 38
I said there are some theories that prisons benefit from housing people. I then provided an example which would be privatisation of prisons--or--private sector controlling existing prisons or opening new ones, and getting paid to arrest people because the government dollars that goes into housing the inmates, turns into personal profit. That is my only issue with prisons but the initial reason for prisons is to protect the population, as I also said. And yes for certain groups prisons have been made them target, according to some theories, which I provided just now.

Ohhh okay so you're not supportive of the personal profit that they make out of prisons. I would totally agree with that since its focused on the money and totally desensitises the concept of prison.

Coming to protecting the population, it's all for a set period of time though. After a couple of years - or more - these people will come out and are very likely to reoffend for many reasons. So prisons do a good job of protecting the population for the short term but not the long term.
If this is Sociology GCSE, we did this topic and it was so interesting. There are, if I remember correctly, prisons in like sweden/norway (not entirely sure) which are almost "open" and they have freedom and it has a higher chance of rehabilitation than the typical ones seen in UK/US. I don't think prisons work, personally, but I think they're a decent way to 'punish' criminals. I feel the reason the "open prisons" have higher success rate is because their aim is to rehabilitate, whereas the ones in the UK are more there to protect citizens from criminals. We watched a lot of documentaries on prisons in Sociology and honestly, a lot of the prisoners seem to enjoy the prisons and have accustomed to prison life. Plus, being around criminals all day reinforces criminal ideology and encourages deviant behaviour. In terms of punishment, having virtually no freedom and being locked away from society seems like a good way to punish those who deserve to be punished however, I am about retribution and I feel that with sufficient evidence that there should be a death sentence/more enforced "higher security" measures such as solitary depending on the severity of the crime :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending