The Student Room Group

Interview sexism?

So the other day I attended an interview at a small corporate finance company for a graduate accountant position.

It was very relaxed and me and the man interviewing me had a lot in common as we were both from the same area.

So I asked him what the team was like and he mentioned that the whole accountancy team in the company was 100% male and the only females in the company was 1 director and 2 in administration.

This was quite a surprise but because it was relatively small company I thought not much of it but then he mentioned that females are difficult to work with....

Now I am by no means a raging feminist but something about this comment was quite ethically wrong to me, especially as this was an interview for a job where the interviewee is a woman.

I am in shock really and would like reassurance that this is not common.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this is not common.
Sadly it's the way it goes. Women are allowed to be offended, men are just "bantered".
Original post by shawn_o1
Sadly it's the way it goes. Women are allowed to be offended, men are just "bantered".

I love banter and fair enough if that is his own view but the fact it was an interview and he basically told me in a round about way that they don't hire women is quite alarming.
By the way OP, do you have other job applications you could focus on? When you're applying for jobs you need to keep on proving yourself. This may be an unfortunate event but at the end of the day it's just another rejection and you can keep going. Resilience will get you a job, trust me :smile:
Reply 5
I'm confused. The interviewee is what you are?
Original post by shawn_o1
By the way OP, do you have other job applications you could focus on? When you're applying for jobs you need to keep on proving yourself. This may be an unfortunate event but at the end of the day it's just another rejection and you can keep going. Resilience will get you a job, trust me :smile:

I haven't been officially rejected... yet.

I just can't believe that this happened, I keep replaying it in my head and feel like I want to send him an email to advise him to be careful with his words. Not in a threatening way because I kind of thought he was a nice guy but just to give him a heads up.

I have plenty more interviews and I am quite able to give a good interview 9/10 so I'm not really worried about my interview performance.
Original post by spv
I'm confused. The interviewee is what you are?

Yes, I was being interviewed.
Reply 8
Original post by AccountingBabe
So the other day I attended an interview at a small corporate finance company for a graduate accountant position.

It was very relaxed and me and the man interviewing me had a lot in common as we were both from the same area.

So I asked him what the team was like and he mentioned that the whole accountancy team in the company was 100% male and the only females in the company was 1 director and 2 in administration.

This was quite a surprise but because it was relatively small company I thought not much of it but then he mentioned that females are difficult to work with....

Now I am by no means a raging feminist but something about this comment was quite ethically wrong to me, especially as this was an interview for a job where the interviewee is a woman.

Yeah, guy should not have said that, and that's actually viable grounds for a lawsuit (i dont think you should sue or anything, but them not hiring women is grounds for legal action against them).

And tbh, and this is not sexist just the truth, at least at junior levels women tend to make better hires than men, because women tend to be more compliant and feel more of an intrinsic need to impress than men do (women are also less likely to jump ship than men, which is a positive in the finance industry where people tend to move around a lot)
Original post by Diabolus
Yeah, guy should not have said that, and that's actually viable grounds for a lawsuit (i dont think you should sue or anything, but them not hiring women is grounds for legal action against them).

And tbh, and this is not sexist just the truth, at least at junior levels women tend to make better hires than men, because women tend to be more compliant and feel more of an intrinsic need to impress than men do (women are also less likely to jump ship than men, which is a positive in the finance industry where people tend to move around a lot)

I just felt like it was a huge generalisation... I've worked with both difficult males and females. I guess he has just had a bad experiance with female colleagues.
I haven't been officially rejected... yet.

I just can't believe that this happened, I keep replaying it in my head and feel like I want to send him an email to advise him to be careful with his words. Not in a threatening way because I kind of thought he was a nice guy but just to give him a heads up.

I have plenty more interviews and I am quite able to give a good interview 9/10 so I'm not really worried about my interview performance.

I thinking you're making a rather sizeable mountain out of a molehill

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
I thinking you're making a rather sizeable mountain out of a molehill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it's not a big deal to you but to me I'd rather not be looked down upon by employers because of my gender.
Maybe it's not a big deal to you but to me I'd rather not be looked down upon by employers because of my gender.

You weren't looked down on, he made an observation based on his experiences of working with women

Posted from TSR Mobile
You weren't looked down on, he made an observation based on his experiences of working with women

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coupled with the fact his team is 100% male I'd say I was very much looked down upon.

If you don't see a problem with this then I feel sorry for you.
Coupled with the fact his team is 100% male I'd say I was very much looked down upon.

If you don't see a problem with this then I feel sorry for you.

Given that 49% of accountancy employees are female I find it hard to imagine there is a firm where 100% of accounts are men.

It's not that there's no problem with what he said but to be looking back on it and acting as though you've endured something traumatic is very over the top

Posted from TSR Mobile
Given that 49% of accountancy employees are female I find it hard to imagine there is a firm where 100% of accounts are men.

It's not that there's no problem with what he said but to be looking back on it and acting as though you've endured something traumatic is very over the top

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well his exact words were "100% male".

Well you weren't in the position to understand how it feels so....
Well his exact words were "100% male".

Well you weren't in the position to understand how it feels so....

Well in my view either you or he were exaggerating.

I also wasn't in a concentration camp but I can understand it wouldn't have been a particularly enjoyable place to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well in my view either you or he were exaggerating.

I also wasn't in a concentration camp but I can understand it wouldn't have been a particularly enjoyable place to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If he had said that black people were hard to work with would it change your opinion?
It probably isn't common to say that, and it's incredibly unprofessional. Of course there are some men who still think this way, but largely nowadays men are not children and can't interact with women.

It does sound like he was writing you off, but if someone said that to me in an interview, I would have serious reservations about taking the job if offered. Go on Glassdoor and write **** about the interview on their company page :ninja:
(edited 8 years ago)

The interviewer probably had in mind only these current or past employees.

The other reason; he could have done it on purpose to see your reaction.

It was probably only one time thing and shouldn't happen again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending