The Student Room Group

Why is it wrong to be concerned with how an animal is slaughtered?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by viddy9

I'm not going to say it's wrong to consume meat but still seek the most humane means of slaughter; it's obviously less wrong than simply not caring at all. But, that's the point: it's a continuum, and I can't fathom how people don't want to be as far to the "least wrong" part of that continuum as possible.

The ratio between the impact of me being at the "least wrong" part of the continuum and the actual effect I have as an individual on stopping the problem isn't good enough, especially when it will effect my quality of life. I'm also a selfish human being that is addicted to happy chemicals.

I am slowly becoming "more vegetarian" by slow changes in diet that become the norm. For example I now actually prefer eating curry with quorn as apposed to chicken as it is easier to make and I like the taste anyway. In eat loads of curry so that's lots of veggie days. This also has the knock on effect of when I cook curry for my family they also have a veggie meal. Who knows, maybe I will go the whole way one day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock
The circumstances you describe should be improved to the most pain-free and humane point possible.

Yes, it would be ideal if we could eliminate meat consumption altogether, but while that's not the case (probably because we haven't developed an adequate synthetic alternative), there is nothing wrong with consuming meat but still seeking the most humane means of slaughter.

w-what? who cares about a 'synthetic alternative' to meat? just eat things that aren't meat! i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure it's pretty straightforward to eat a healthy vegetarian diet in this day and age (arguably, it's much easier than staying healthy on a meat-heavy diet!)
Original post by Lady Comstock
I don't see why not, or why that can't be something we aim for.

Killing an animal for your own benefit and enjoyment is never going to be humane.
Original post by HemmingsHood
Killing an animal for your own benefit and enjoyment is never going to be humane.

That depends how you kill it. It may know even it was about it die.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The average consumer simply doesn't have enough information to know whether the meat they are buying was raised and killed humanely, if such a thing is even possible. The fish industry is terrible for this too with misleading bull**** like 'dolphin friendly' tuna and farmed salmon tricking people into thinking they're being ethical, but at least we have MSC certification for some kind of guidance. It'd be nice to have a similar organisation for livestock.
Reply 25
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The ratio between the impact of me being at the "least wrong" part of the continuum and the actual effect I have as an individual on stopping the problem isn't good enough, especially when it will effect my quality of life. I'm also a selfish human being that is addicted to happy chemicals.

As an individual, if we run through the expected utility calculations, it comes out that buying one less chicken means that roughly one less chicken is put through the meat production process. Throughout your lifetime, you have the ability to save thousands of animals. And, as you note, going veg*n has knock-on effects, because your family may buy or consume less meat too as a result, simply because it's logistically easier for everyone to have the same meal, and it exposes more people to the idea who then may become veg*n themselves.

As someone who finds it difficult to empathise with others (I have no particular love for animals, for instance; my views on morality are derived from logic), it's quite difficult for me to understand why people don't act in a certain way - so don't mistake my lack of understanding for saying "oh my god, I can't believe people would be so evil!".

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I am slowly becoming "more vegetarian" by slow changes in diet that become the norm. For example I now actually prefer eating curry with quorn as apposed to chicken as it is easier to make and I like the taste anyway. In eat loads of curry so that's lots of veggie days. This also has the knock on effect of when I cook curry for my family they also have a veggie meal. Who knows, maybe I will go the whole way one day.

That's great - some people take things incrementally. I'd also recommend the Quorn Vegan range that has just come out - their spicy burger in particular is delicious.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RivalPlayer
Depends on the country tbh.

You don't. Instead you stock up on "I'm So Vegan" t-shirts, adopt a plant-based diet and take up yoga.

Nah thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending