The Student Room Group

False Rape Accusations... A new law needed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
Both are horrible experiences except in one at least you know that everybody else sees you as a victim and wants to molly-coddle you. Whereas in the other you are heinous scum.

You do realise that a lot of people are gonna say the victims making it up? That happens more than people getting falsly acused.
Some replies here are confusing. You would rather have your ass torn to shreds than someone claiming you raped them?
They don't believe the first will ever happen - how many men consider that they could actually be raped? - but something makes them think there's a real possibility of the second.

What that something is may be the most interesting bit: cluelessness? no sexual experience with someone else? not bothering to establish consent if they are?
Original post by harry734
You've made the same mistake as the other idiot with the bit in bold, you could say the exact same things to the people being accused of rape, if they're innocent it won't matter right? well no because of their reputation which would be the same as the women being accused of lying, you're saying the same thing you're arguing against. All we need to do is make these cases confidential until someone is found guilty and then everyone is happy. All it takes is for one victim to be falsely accused of lying and other victims will be scared of coming forward as the same thing could happen to them.

I've made no mistake. Think through what I've written, and I'll recap:

A person who raped no-one is not likely to be convicted of anything if there's no evidence they did it (and there shouldn't be if no crime occurred). Similarly, somebody making an accusation most likely isn't going to face punishment. Nevertheless, for the person facing the accusation, it doesn't matter whether or not they are convicted, because it's still probably going to have a very negative impact on their life (for reasons stated in prior posts). However, a woman who makes an accusation which results in no conviction is highly unlikely to have her life derailed as a result. No university and no employer is going to care. If she faces legal action for being suspected of lying (which would happen if there's evidence for this), she may face stigma for doing so, but the plaintiff would still be bound by the same consequences if their case is demonstrated to have been made in bad faith. I'm not arguing against myself here. Everyone must take responsibility for accusations they make.

It is still much less likely for a woman (or man) accusing a man of rape to face negative, life-changing consequences than the man being accused.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Perverting the course of justice is a crime. Also, the evidential requirement is pretty high, hence the very low conviction rate. Education ftw

Then why do we keep seeing stories of someone being in jail for 10 years finally being proved innocent. It happens for false rape accusations more than others.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Then why do we keep seeing stories of someone being in jail for 10 years finally being proved innocent. It happens for false rape accusations more than others.

A look at Appeal Court decisions would suggest that you're wrong.
Original post by unprinted
A look at Appeal Court decisions would suggest that you're wrong.

Don't give me an obscure response.

I'm here to learn, not to argue. If you're able to prove me wrong, since I enjoy improving my knowledge, I await your response :smile: (Just realised this sounds sorta sarcastic - it isn't meant to be lol)

I'm here to learn, not to argue. If you're able to prove me wrong, since I enjoy improving my knowledge, I await your response :smile: (Just realised this sounds sorta sarcastic - it isn't meant to be lol)

The stats are available to be created - I don't think anyone has sat down and counted - at bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Crim/

When you make a claim you are the one who needs to support it with evidence, not the people who believe you to be wrong.
Original post by unprinted
The stats are available to be created - I don't think anyone has sat down and counted - at bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Crim/

Looking at this for a bit you may be right, but I'll have to go have a look if someone has indeed counted it all up, because rape accusations definitely seem more common than others through media so I assumed the same would be for real life - although I'm just realising that's me subconsciously believing what the media wants me to which I should question before doing so usually.

Original post by WBZ144
When you make a claim you are the one who needs to support it with evidence, not the people who believe you to be wrong.

Here's where your absense of understanding of text is shining. Throughout this, I have made the point clear that I'm here to bring up a point, and learn. Hence why my original post is filled with questions, not statements. I'm not here to argue, as I've stated many times, I'm just here to comment, learn and discuss. Therefore if I have a certain view, since I'm evidently not here to argue/ prove others wrong, I don't have to prove it, because I'm only saying what I think, not what the other person should think. Therefore, if someone disagrees with me, I'm intruiged to know why, and know more about their argument - as I tend to question things that oppose my views/ knowledge so that I learn more constructively.

It's the same as rape cases should be - innocent until proven guilty. I will believe I'm correct, until I'm proven otherwise, and I'm not here to force my opinion/knowledge on others like the majority of people these days.
False allegations are serious. However, time and time again it has been shown that false allegations are exceptionally rare, with no evidence whatsoever they happen en masse. Yes you get some high profile cases, but they tend to be high profile because they are rare.

Not guilty does not mean a false accusation. Often it comes down to 'he said/she said', the end result often being that since it cannot be proven either way there is a not guilty verdict, or the CPS decide not to charge because it cannot be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

That does not mean it is a false allegation, it means there is not enough evidence for a conviction.

If there is enough evidence that a person has made a false accusation then they will be charged with perjury.
Looking at this for a bit you may be right, but I'll have to go have a look if someone has indeed counted it all up, because rape accusations definitely seem more common than others through media so I assumed the same would be for real life - although I'm just realising that's me subconsciously believing what the media wants me to which I should question before doing so usually.

I try to read most of them - they're fascinating - and I think there are a lot more 'conviction was unsafe' for (attempted) murder / robbery etc.

It's going to be interesting if anyone has counted, including separating out the ones which are sent back for retrial.
Original post by Bornblue
Not guilty does not mean a false accusation.

Indeed, and there's a TV series about a famous case in the US being broadcast on BBC2 at the moment which highlights that...
So you would prefer to be violently ****ed up the arse than to have someone say you raped someone? don't be ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure people have committed suicide over rape claims. It has a huge effect on a person's life.

Original post by llys
The only practical solution is to give everyone anonymity until conviction. That will at least clear up most of these tedious threads.

This.
Reply 114
For people who do not believe that female rape victims get blamed by a large proportion of the population:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11409210/Drunk-or-flirty-rape-victims-often-to-blame-says-survey.html

Teenagers especially are quick to blame the victim if there was some flirting with the attacker (NB flirting =/= consent). 45% = hardly negligible. Correlates pretty well with my experience of rape threads on TSR. Even as people get older, the percentage is still significant (between a quarter and a third of the population will blame the victim).
Original post by Nadile
I'm pretty sure people have committed suicide over rape claims. It has a huge effect on a person's life.
Seriously doubt that is true, if it is it would have been a couple of times, but women committing suicide due to their lives being ruined after being raped is very common amongst victims, as a woman are you not alarmed that if you were raped (and i sincerely hope you never are), you would seriously struggle to get a conviction
Seriously doubt that is true, if it is it would have been a couple of times, but women committing suicide due to their lives being ruined after being raped is very common amongst victims, as a woman are you not alarmed that if you were raped (and i sincerely hope you never are), you would seriously struggle to get a conviction

I wouldn't struggle more than a man would. Plus, it's probably still less likely to happen than a man getting stabbed on the street.
Original post by Nadile
I wouldn't struggle more than a man would. Plus, it's probably still less likely to happen than a man getting stabbed on the street.
Women are significantly more likely to get raped, but thats not what we are discussing, a law to prosecute liars is what was up for discussion, where do you stand on that? I'm also baffled that a female is joining forces with the knuckle dragging 'mens rights movement' or whatever when you are a woman who is going to face sexism throughout your life... I'm white, male, straight, middle-class, life will be fine for me either way, good luck.
Women are significantly more likely to get raped, but thats not what we are discussing, a law to prosecute liars is what was up for discussion, where do you stand on that? I'm also baffled that a female is joining forces with the knuckle dragging 'mens rights movement' or whatever when you are a woman who is going to face sexism throughout your life... I'm white, male, straight, middle-class, life will be fine for me either way, good luck.

If it can be proven that someone lied in court and was falsely accusing another person of a crime, they themselves should serve some kind of a punishment. I am not joining forces with "men's rights movement". I'm not joining forces with anyone. All I want is actual equality. Feminism doesn't quite care for that, because so far it only seems to act up when there is injustice towards women, but ignores anything unfair happening to men.
Original post by Nadile
If it can be proven that someone lied in court and was falsely accusing another person of a crime, they themselves should serve some kind of a punishment. I am not joining forces with "men's rights movement". I'm not joining forces with anyone. All I want is actual equality. Feminism doesn't quite care for that, because so far it only seems to act up when there is injustice towards women, but ignores anything unfair happening to men.

They do serve punishment. Comes under the crime of perverting the course of justice which covers false allegations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending