The Student Room Group

Has anyone tried the life in the uk test?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexion
got 17/24 (fail) three times in a row :rofl:

guess I gotta leave now...

*rips up Alexion's passport*

You're a disgrace, son. :colonhash:
Original post by Hydeman
*rips up Alexion's passport*

You're a disgrace, son. :colonhash:

:cry2:
I am British born with British parents and grandarents. I have a degree, have travelled the world, read every book under the sun, been married 4 times, and been a technology teacher in state schools. So, basically, I'm not a retard. But I failed the Life-in-Britain test FOUR times. Exactly how many people in England (or Scotland, or Wales) know when Wales became part of the Union, or what the Welsh flag looks like ? Mmmmm - just about no-one. But those are the sort of questions in the test. If I, an intelligent, well read, educated, experienced British person can't answer such questons - how the F*CK can anyone expect foreigners who want to live in the UK to know ? The questions are bizarre, IRRELEVANT to life in Britain, and seem designed to make people fail and so have to pay more fees for more applications. These tests are a scam, and a disgrace. K.Woods
Original post by Woods.123
I am British born with British parents and grandarents. I have a degree, have travelled the world, read every book under the sun, been married 4 times, and been a technology teacher in state schools. So, basically, I'm not a retard. But I failed the Life-in-Britain test FOUR times. Exactly how many people in England (or Scotland, or Wales) know when Wales became part of the Union, or what the Welsh flag looks like ? Mmmmm - just about no-one. But those are the sort of questions in the test. If I, an intelligent, well read, educated, experienced British person can't answer such questons - how the F*CK can anyone expect foreigners who want to live in the UK to know ? The questions are bizarre, IRRELEVANT to life in Britain, and seem designed to make people fail and so have to pay more fees for more applications. These tests are a scam, and a disgrace. K.Woods

Eh... most questions on there just seem to be common knowledge of the history and culture of Britain... it really isn’t that hard
Original post by Woods.123

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
I have lived here since the age of five, studying in the schools here and living life here, even holidays were mostly spent here.
Recently, due to Brexit, I began looking into becoming a citizen, and one of the requirements is this test. And though some questions are "common sense" you then get a question like "Who was John Constable".

Though for some it's a joke "oh look, we're not british enough", for me this is infuriating. Firstly, it is beyond frustrating that this test has very little to do with "life in the UK" and more to do with winning a pub quiz. Secondly, these aren't things people know, or even tend to know. Having studied here since primary 2, I can guarantee that with the knowledge taught in schools you wouldn't pass the test, unless there was hardcore study done in primary 1.
It's not even the fact that I can't pass it, enough studying and I'll do it no problem. It's the fact that the "Life in the UK" test wouldn't be passable even if you lived here 90 years unless you just so happened to have studied out of personal interest all the areas.

(Granted, the questions are random, so you could get a series of easy questions, or real ball-busters. But the median mix is a complete wtf.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending