The Student Room Group

Why is being a feminist considered to be so bad?

Ok, so I know that there are an extreme group of females (radical feminists) who want to overpower men and all that stuff but that does not necessarily mean all feminists are like that!

I am a feminist myself and pride myself in being one. I would class myself as being under the dictionary meaning of a feminist 'someone who want equal rights for both sexes'

No I do not want to see the elimination of all males. I am not anti-male and I doubt many of the feminists are.

However all I see on here is people blaming feminists for everything. I can barely even utter the fact that I am a feminist without people cowering away from me. It seems to be especially bad on this site where I see irrelevant things being blamed on feminists or seeing crap how the first thing a guy looks for is a girl who is not a feminist and has to 'make them a sandwich whenever they feel like it'

Well, sorry, I'm not going to sit here and make you a sandwich for the pure reason that you demanded one.

So why is it overblowing and made to be seen as if it is the worst thing anyone could be? What is so bad about wanting to have equal rights for males and females?

People are just being so blinded by the media lately and I really don't see why something so small needs to be blown up into such proportion that people end up disliking feminists altogether.

All I am saying is, maybe people should just stop jumping to the wrong conclusions every time someone says that they are feminist. Your viewpoint of feminism might be completely different to theirs so instead of generalising all feminists into the same category you could give them the benefit of the doubt and not bash them for having their own opinions..

Any Thoughts?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because they just talk so much bull****. There is not a gender pay gap, we do not live in a rape culture and men are bored of constantly being told they are privileged.
If you need to ask that question then I'm sorry, its too late for you.
People have different ideas about feminism and many other beliefs/movements depending on their experience with them I personally believe that being a feminist means fighting for both men and women and the goal is equality for all genders but some people feel that feminism is not like that at all, I think most people genuinely do want equality but we just have different names for it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I completely agree! I am a guy and I am a feminist, in that I support total and complete equality for both sexes. I feel like feminists are grossly misrepresented by the 'feminazis' who give the moderate, reasonable feminists a bad name and make the general population think that feminism is all about 'plus women and minus men' which is completely inaccurate. Feminism is not a zero-sum game. Women and men can achieve equality without men being diminished.
Reply 5
As far as my understanding goes, feminism only advocates equal rights for women, whereas egalitarianism advocates equal rights for both genders. Of course, this means feminism generally assumes that men are more "privileged" than women, and that women are the only ones needing more/better rights, which is not true at all (false rape accusations, for example, can destroy a man's life, even if he is not convicted.)
(edited 8 years ago)
The way I see it, feminism is just one of many means to an end. The end itself being gender equality.
I don't agree with the way in which feminists with any political or social power are trying to attain their vision of gender equality. Too often to me it seems that it's more concerned with either petty issues such as man-spreading, or things based off of dodgy/misleading statistics (e.g. 1 in 4/5/6/whatever). In the first world anyway.

On top of that, there's too much tolerance/silent acceptance shown towards radicals in the movement.

THAT SAID, I recognise most people who call themselves feminists are generally people who literally just want equal rights so I'm not going to paint every person who calls themselves a feminist with the same brush. I wont assume that every feminist is a man hater, until they demonstrate to me they are.
Original post by cookiemonster15
Ok, so I know that there are an extreme group of females (radical feminists) who want to overpower men and all that stuff but that does not necessarily mean all feminists are like that!

I am a feminist myself and pride myself in being one. I would class myself as being under the dictionary meaning of a feminist 'someone who want equal rights for both sexes'

No I do not want to see the elimination of all males. I am not anti-male and I doubt many of the feminists are.

However all I see on here is people blaming feminists for everything. I can barely even utter the fact that I am a feminist without people cowering away from me. It seems to be especially bad on this site where I see irrelevant things being blamed on feminists or seeing crap how the first thing a guy looks for is a girl who is not a feminist and has to 'make them a sandwich whenever they feel like it'

Well, sorry, I'm not going to sit here and make you a sandwhich for the pure reason that you demanded one.

So why is it overblowing and made to be seen as if it is the worst thing anyone could be? What is so bad about wanting to have equal rights for males and females?

People are just being so blinded by the media lately and I really don't see why something so small needs to be blown up into such proportion that people end up disliking feminists altogether.

Any Thoughts?

I kind of understand the scenario at hand.

People assume the worst in everything - it's human nature. So when we are presented with our group of radical feminists who seemingly wish to overpower and dominate men, we assume all feminists wish to. Despite this, I know about liberal feminism which demands gradual reform to achieve equality and not dominance. Feminism itself is demonised because of the negative effects of radicalism. Similarly to any social group, radicalism is more negative than positive.

In fairness, I wouldn't listen to most of the children you find on tsr who don't actually know about social and current affairs as their views are significantly more racist and prejudiced than your average Joe/Jo. In fact, you're more likely to find sexist, arrogant people on here, even though we are supposed to have been raised to be an accepting generation of people from most/all backgrounds.
Original post by AdderDee
As far as my understanding goes, feminism only advocates equal rights for women, whereas egalitarianism advocates equal rights for both genders.

you do realise that is literally the same thing right? when we say that feminists want equal rights "for women", we mean we want women to have the same rights as men. exactly the same thing as "equal rights for both genders".
(obviously this definition is excluding non-binary genders but I won't go into that right now)
Original post by djh2208
Because they just talk so much bull****. There is not a gender pay gap, we do not live in a rape culture and men are bored of constantly being told they are privileged.

Maybe not as much in the first world but these issues certainly do arise in developing countries.
(edited 8 years ago)
As far as my understanding goes, feminism only advocates equal rights for women, whereas egalitarianism advocates equal rights for both genders. Of course, this means feminism generally assumes that men are more "privileged" than women, and that women are the only ones needing more/better rights, which is not true at all (false rape accusations, for example, can destroy a man's life, even if he is not convicted.)

Feminism is wanting women to have equal rights as men. Equal, not more, not less.

Obviously stuff like false rape accusations are absolutely horrible but I don't understand how feminism is preventing males from obtaining the same rights.
I'm male and, while I would like to consider myself a feminist, it's hard to. Why? Because feminism isn't one monolithic idea, and a hundred different feminists will give you a hundred different notions and definitions of feminism. Some people would call me a feminist, some a humanist and some tell me I'm neither.

At the end of the day, I want equality for both men and women, in all spheres of life, culturally and ideologically. I want people to be valued for their skills, personality, intelligence and goodness, not a specific gender or any other such matter. In any case, call myself what I might, I know what I want. I want people to champion fairness, kindness, equality, justice, love and peace. My goals might not be easy to achieve, but they are worth fighting for.
[ QUOTE=Withengar;62987145]I'm male and, while I would like to consider myself a feminist, it's hard to. Why? Because feminism isn't one monolithic idea, and a hundred different feminists will give you a hundred different notions and definitions of feminism. Some people would call me a feminist, some a humanist and some tell me I'm neither.

At the end of the day, I want equality for both men and women, in all spheres of life, culturally and ideologically. I want people to be valued for their skills, personality, intelligence and goodness, not a specific gender or any other such matter. In any case, call myself what I might, I know what I want. I want people to champion fairness, kindness, equality, justice, love and peace. My goals might not be easy to achieve, but they are worth fighting for.

I do get where you are coming from and agree completely with your views. I just think people should stop and think about the topic before accusing all feminists of being a 'feminazi'
(edited 8 years ago)

We do try to fight male oppression too, masculine ideals are one of their biggest threats, and I guess the general concept of male privilege is based on different criteria, such as economic or political freedom. I feel feminism should be seen as an equity movement, but then some would argue that we have already achieved this. Feminism began as far more focussed on the rights of white cis heterosexual women, so I don't see myself represented in those movements so much, but we now aim to have racial 'equality' in feminism too, for example, and this is key as women cannot choose to oppress each other over class, age, sexuality etc. when they wish to not be oppressed for their gender/sex.

I guess my definition of feminism is somewhat egalitarian, it is just insane that a word changes the perception of the movements, which to some degree have common aims.
Original post by cookiemonster15

I do get where you are coming from and agree completely with your views. I just think people should stop and think about the topic before accusing all feminists of being a 'feminazi'

I have trouble understanding this seemingly popular notion where people are "against feminism" and yet "believe men and women should have equal rights" like ?????? that is self-contradictory?????
like I like apples but I do not like apples???

:rofl:
:colonhash:
Because there are a lot of crybabies that feminism upsets so much and they need their safe space.
Because of all the fake feminists.
Reply 17
Original post by thermometer
I have trouble understanding this seemingly popular notion where people are "against feminism" and yet "believe men and women should have equal rights" like ?????? that is self-contradictory?????
like I like apples but I do not like apples???

:rofl:
:colonhash:

This is a gross oversimplification I often see made that fails to take into account the nuance and the connotations/implications that saying you are a feminist has.
Problem is that the term 'feminism' goes against the whole point of it.

Supporting equality by empowering women? Many believe that women should get preferential treatment which is the opposite of what is trying to be achieved here.
Original post by djh2208

There is a rape culture.

I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard the phrase "she deserves to get raped". When people ask what woman was wearing, that is part of a rape culture. The pay gap is real, women literally earn less per hour and are in less executive positions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending