The Student Room Group

Reaction to false accusations of rape.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3463060/Girl-18-reported-gang-raped-five-teens-Brooklyn-park-admits-sex-consensual-sex-father.html?offset=0&max=100&jumpTo=comment-117241159#comment-117241159
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/nyregion/move-to-dismiss-brownsville-rape-case-charges.html?_r=0

People still talk about how bad the accused boys are and how the poor little innocent 'victim' needs help.

When this was a rape case these kids had already been found guilty in the court of public opinion and the 'victim' got sympathy now the accused kids have been told how “reprehensible and wrong.” their actions are and the 'victim' still gets sympathy.

The 18 year old girl (an adult in law) had consensual sex with teenagers and instead of people wanting her to be tried for statutory rape people say no and make excuses for this reaction, imagine if the 18 year old was male and had slept with 5 minors and no charges filed People would be outraged.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Can the authorities please indict this woman with wasting police time, perverting the court of justice and incest please?

The prosecutor decided not to instead decided to say how terrible the kids where in this scenario.
Victim's advocates will point out that the vast majority of rape allegations are not false, which is true. It still does not justify the reality that when allegations are proven to be categorically false, the accuser is still protected. Accusers who are proven to be false should be named, shamed, and prosecuted exactly in the same manner that accused rapists are.
(edited 8 years ago)
The face of equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joecphillips
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3463060/Girl-18-reported-gang-raped-five-teens-Brooklyn-park-admits-sex-consensual-sex-father.html?offset=0&max=100&jumpTo=comment-117241159#comment-117241159
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/nyregion/move-to-dismiss-brownsville-rape-case-charges.html?_r=0

People still talk about how bad the accused boys are and how the poor little innocent 'victim' needs help.

When this was a rape case these kids had already been found guilty in the court of public opinion and the 'victim' got sympathy now the accused kids have been told how “reprehensible and wrong.” their actions are and the 'victim' still gets sympathy.

The 18 year old girl (an adult in law) had consensual sex with teenagers and instead of people wanting her to be tried for statutory rape people say no and make excuses for this reaction, imagine if the 18 year old was male and had slept with 5 minors and no charges filed People would be outraged.

You do recognise this is a young woman who was having sex with her father who has then allowed 5 other guys to join in...?
Yes she is an adult but I would warrant her backstory would be something that will drop your jaw.

Its not unusual for those sexualised and sexually abused from an early age to the abuse others. Doesn't necessarily excuse it but does explain it somewhat and in her case she is still very young and very vulnerable.

I don't know what you gain by throwing her in prison for 15 years.

the father though, thats a different matter.
Reply 5
Original post by Jamie
You do recognise this is a young woman who was having sex with her father who has then allowed 5 other guys to join in...?
Yes she is an adult but I would warrant her backstory would be something that will drop your jaw.

Its not unusual for those sexualised and sexually abused from an early age to the abuse others. Doesn't necessarily excuse it but does explain it somewhat and in her case she is still very young and very vulnerable.

She had just reconnected with her father.

Your whole argument is if she was abused then that means she has absolutely no responsibility for her actions, that isn't how the law works, yes it is a mitigating factor however she has still committed a criminal act.
She had just reconnected with her father.

Your whole argument is if she was abused then that means she has absolutely no responsibility for her actions, that isn't how the law works, yes it is a mitigating factor however she has still committed a criminal act.

What part of the sentence "Doesn't necessarily excuse it but does explain it " do you take to mean "she has absolutely no responsibility for her actions"?
Reply 7
Original post by Jamie
What part of the sentence "Doesn't necessarily excuse it but does explain it " do you take to mean "she has absolutely no responsibility for her actions"?

How does it explain it?
You are saying she has done it but don't hold her responsible and let her go.

This isn't just 1 crime overall she has committed at least 4 felonies with a maximum 25 year sentence yet prosecutors can't be bothered to uphold the law
(edited 8 years ago)
Individuals such as this woman should be held responsible for their actions. Waste of time and resources.
Original post by Jamie

Right, so, a priori, the woman does it because an evil man has taught her to be that way. But when it comes to the father you do not consider so automatically the possibility that he was also once sexually abused.
Original post by scrotgrot
Right, so, a priori, the woman does it because an evil man has taught her to be that way. But when it comes to the father you do not consider so automatically the possibility that he was also once sexually abused.

Might have been. Men sexually abused as boys tend to however sexually abuse boys (occasionally girls too). In most cases we are talking about abuse that pre-dated puberty. I was trying to dig up the articles (forensic psychiatry) but can't find them.
I read up on the area because I was told by someone that a large proportion of women presenting to A&E with non-epileptic seizures have a background of being sexually abused as children.
Reply 11
Original post by Jamie
Its not unusual for those sexualised and sexually abused from an early age to the abuse others. Doesn't necessarily excuse it

It doest excuse it at all.
How does it explain it?
You are saying she has done it but don't hold her responsible and let her go.

This isn't just 1 crime overall she has committed at least 4 felonies with a maximum 25 year sentence yet prosecutors can't be bothered to uphold the law

I didn't say don't hold her responsible and let her go.

What 4 felonies do you think she has commited?

I don't know the american legal system (only as much as you can glean from a decade of Dick Wolf programming) but I count 2 crimes. Incest and wasting police time.

The New York Times article makes a very reasoned report of the situation.
JAmie
Doesn't necessarily excuse it

Original post by Reue
It does

Its very impolite to cut off a quote mid-sentence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jamie
Its very impolite to cut off a quote

Regardless, it doesn't excuse it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Jamie
Its very impolite to cut off a quote mid-sentence.

The rest of it was irrelevant to your point and my counter-point.

I, and many others here, frequently quote only specific sections of someone's reply when it is that specific section we're replying to. You're the first person to have never suggested doing so was impolite.
Original post by Reue
The rest of it was irrelevant to your point and my counter-point.

I, and many others here, frequently quote only specific sections of someone's reply when it is that specific section we're replying to. You're the first person to have never suggested doing so was impolite.

Thats ok, you can learn for future.
Leaving off the rest of paragraph - fine. Leaving off rest of sentence - rude.
Reply 17
Original post by Jamie
you can learn for future.

I suspect I won't :smile:
Original post by Jamie
Thats ok

It reduces unnecessary spam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Jamie
I didn't say don't hold her responsible and let her go.

What 4 felonies do you think she has commited?

I don't know the american legal system (only as much as you can glean from a decade of Dick Wolf programming) but I count 2 crimes. Incest and wasting police time.

The New York Times article makes a very reasoned report of the situation.

3 counts of 2nd degree rape (over 18 sleeping with someone under 16)
And incest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending