The Student Room Group

I'm a woman and I'm not a feminist

Scroll to see replies

both are you gay?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Do you actually do any egalitarian activism or are you really just anti-feminism?
I'm assuming you're gay?
Original post by jacksonclarkson
who's going to iron my trousers?
stop being mean
Original post by TomMaslen
stop being mean
**** off
I'm assuming you're gay?

I am yea. Why do you ask?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I am yea. Why do you ask?
because only gay people care about egalitarian activism
It just sounds crazy to me to as a woman not support the movement that gave us every right we have today. You don't have to be a radical third wave feminist, but it's absolutely insane to say you don't support feminism as the ideology it's intended to be. We wouldn't be allowed to vote, go to university, provide for a family, own property, have an abortion or even wear trousers as ridiculous as it sounds, if it wasn't for feminism!

I'm as opposed to third wave tumblr ******** as the rest of you, but that doesn't mean I'm not a feminist.
Original post by mondvay
It just sounds crazy to me to as a woman not support the movement that gave us every right we have today. You don't have to be a radical third wave feminist, but it's absolutely insane to say you don't support feminism as the ideology it's intended to be. We wouldn't be allowed to vote, go to university, provide for a family, own property, have an abortion or even wear trousers as ridiculous as it sounds, if it wasn't for feminism!

I'm as opposed to third wave tumblr ******** as the rest of you, but that doesn't mean I'm not a feminist.

So you are you single?
So you are you single?

Yes i am :K:
Original post by mondvay
Yes i am :K:
Where and when?
Reply 110
Original post by JPO92
Feminism is not something that can be taken so literally. People assume its a movement towards a Matriarchal society. This is not the case. You can call yourself egalitarian if you like, but it makes no difference, your aims and mine are the same, you just choose to call yourself something else.

What I might draw your attention to, is the fact that when you reject feminism, you reject its history, you reject the women who fought for your rights to the point of death in some cases, and you reject its relevancy, if not in the UK, then in the wider world. Words carry the weight of their history, and the goals and aspirations for the future in their utterance.

Say it again for the people in the back! Egalitarianism, the same as AllLivesMatter, is an attempt to say 'Let's all be equal', whilst ignoring that it's not about bringing everyone to an equal place, it's about bringing the people who have been the victim of predjudice upwards!
I don't believe in the matriachy, but I do believe that for too long women have been far worse off than men, and it's still going on. It actually angers me to have to be an egalitarian, when men don't really have many rights to fight for, not compared to the looooooong history of women's sufferage:')
because only gay people care about egalitarian activism

That's an unusual opinion to have :lolwut: but fair enough.
Original post by AJP98
Say it again for the people in the back! Egalitarianism, the same as AllLivesMatter, is an attempt to say 'Let's all be equal', whilst ignoring that it's not about bringing everyone to an equal place, it's about bringing the people who have been the victim of predjudice upwards!
I don't believe in the matriachy, but I do believe that for too long women have been far worse off than men, and it's still going on. It actually angers me to have to be an egalitarian, when men don't really have many rights to fight for, not compared to the looooooong history of women's sufferage:':wink:
you cock block shes mine
Where and when?

Are you asking me out? :flutter::flutter:
Original post by mondvay

Wish I can rep this post at least 3 times.
Original post by mondvay
Are you asking me out? :flutter::flutter:

I think he/she/it wants more.
You don't have to follow any movement to believe in equality.
Original post by emily-brown
I'm not a feminist because I'm an egalitarian.

But I bet some people who read that title suddenly got really angry because they believe I hated myself and was sexist or whatever. But no, I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

But for some reason people still hate on me, tell me to kill myself, call me ugly, sexist, racist, misogynist etc, all of which I most certainly am not. Why am I hated on for being an egalitarian? Isn't it a feminist issue that women are discriminated against for their opinions?

Feminism does not own "equality". People, like myself, can want equality and not be a feminist I'm afraid.

Edit: May I highlight the last two sentences above. I want equality but I am not a feminist. Many of you are commenting on this, as it may not make sense to some people. Feminism is not the only ideology to fight for equality. Feminism only happens to be the most mainstream of them all. Many of the ideologies fight for the same things, but all have different aims. I think the definitions make this clear-

Feminism: the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of equality of the sexes
Egalitarianism: believing in or based on the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities

So yes, you can say I do fight for the same issues as feminism, but I do it under egalitarianism.

PRSOM a million times over.
Original post by mondvay

The movement has changed, though. What once focused in winning all women the right to vote, work, and be treated as equal citizens, is in the past. All the double standards, the melodramatic social media campaigns, the misinformation, the wars against free speech and free expression, the wacky conspiracy theories, and the constant complaining about non-existent or exaggerated issues, has turned 'feminism' into something rotten and not worth associating with anymore.
Reply 119
Original post by Dandaman1
The movement has changed, though. What once focused in winning all women the right to vote, work, and be treated as equal citizens, is in the past. All the double standards, the melodramatic social media campaigns, the misinformation, the wars against free speech and free expression, the wacky conspiracy theories, and the constant complaining about non-existent or exaggerated issues, has turned 'feminism' into something rotten and not worth associating with anymore.

Are you so shocked that the goal posts for an ideology have changed, when society is an organic and fluid design?

Calling feminism 'rotten' is completely unfair. You only have to dig beneath the dirt of the media's coverage to realise that what 'rotten' feminist behaviour you see is from a small, overly publicised sector of the community. One that garners no respect from feminists with equality in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending