The Student Room Group

Should students HAVE to pay back university loans?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackEDeakin
Degrees arent useless just because they dont land you a job. I also think you don't understand that it isn't wasting tax payers money at all.

TSRFT8, I plan to study Politics, Philosophy and Religion at UOB I would like to invest that knowledge into government scrutiny, campaigning for The Green Party and focusing on campaign strategy and support the feminst and environmental movements.

Now unless I am successful in a parliamentary election, it is very unlikely I would ever gain enough money to pay it back but I am contributing to society.

Education is a right, you're not a terrorist so don't claim it is a privilege. My apologies for my previous post where I too claimed it was, it was late and I meant the opposite! I struggle to proof read from my phone.

Feminism and the Green Party.....

Yep that's a waste

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRFT8
Career goals.... How exactly are you contributing to society apart from spreading ******** movements, and wasting tax payers money? Please go ahead and explain

Lol ok
Original post by jneill
Entrance rates are increasing among the poorest 1/5th of the English population despite the higher fees, less so in Scotland were they have no fees.

I don't see any "damage"...

although i'm 100% sure that graph is made with misleading tory figures (the same figures that say they have reduced poverty) lets see how that graph looks after a year of no grants.
Original post by Plagioclase
...Or just lower tuition fees so ordinary people will actually be capable of paying back their loans? It is incredibly sad that so many people think the only value of university is to earn more money.

Agreed, I think students should still have to contribute partly to understand the value of their education, but it should not be the deciding factor as it is ending up now, where the more money you have, the more likely you are to go to university... :frown:
Original post by mangala
although i'm 100% sure that graph is made with misleading tory figures (the same figures that say they have reduced poverty) lets see how that graph looks after a year of no grants.

Probably the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes students have to pay back their loans. Its called a 'loan' for a reason. In your lifetime you earn 500,000 more than those without a degree so £27,000 is nothing. If you can't afford it, then tough because if you get some stupid degree like an art or english degree, there is no one to blame but you.
Original post by paul514
Probably the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

not at all. i can only afford to go to uni if i get the £2k sholarship for getting AAB or above because they have cut the low income grant.
Original post by mangala
how does putting poor people in £50k debt help them get a better education?

Because it allows them to get it in the first place perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Because it allows them to get it in the first place perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

how is debt a necessity for education?
Original post by mangala
how is debt a necessity for education?

Because it isn't free, maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Because it isn't free, maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's exactly my point you ****ing window licker, make it free
Students needs to stop expecting everything handed to them. They need to grow up.
In developing countries, you either have enough money to afford university, or you stay uneducated. Government does ****.

Just thought I'd put this here. You can all hate on me saying it's their own fault, yadda yadda, but, it's true.
Original post by mangala

To be fair that chart was from The Spectator.
So here's UCAS's own chart - same result:
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/jan-14-application-rates.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 15.35.24.jpg
Original post by Arsenal96
Students needs to stop expecting everything handed to them. They need to grow up.

Life isn't as easy as it was for previous generations.
Original post by mangala
that's exactly my point you ****ing window licker, make it free

No Need to get butthurt pal

The idea is you take a loan, which anybody can do regardless of class, for higher education after which you'll be equipped with a qualification that allows you to pursue a career in a profession which enables you to earn money in order to pay back the loan back.

Everybody knows the loan can be written off at a certain point and you don't start paying back until your earning over a certain amount. It's a pretty good system tbf
Original post by JackEDeakin
Life isn't as easy as it was for previous generations.

Life is very much easier. Life expectancy and standard of living has increased as well as human rights and so on.

I don't see why a taxpayer who decided not to go to university should pay for a spoilt brat who went to university, ends up earning more but does not repay the taxpayer.

And one question- where will the money come from to pay for this. Don't say borrowing, don't say money trees, don't say illuminati
Original post by jneill
To be fair that chart was from The Spectator.
So here's UCAS's own chart - same result:
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/jan-14-application-rates.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 15.35.24.jpg

those are application figures, not the amount of people actually in uni. it also stops people from applying to the universities they may actually want to, because they cannot afford the extra living costs.
Original post by mangala
not at all. i can only afford to go to uni if i get the £2k sholarship for getting AAB or above because they have cut the low income grant.

I'm on the same side as you education should be free however.....

You asked a question and I answered.

The level will be the same the grant amount has been added to the loan and every tuition fee rise has not put the poor off from going the numbers has risen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sevchenko
No Need to get butthurt pal

The idea is you take a loan, which anybody can do regardless of class, for higher education after which you'll be equipped with a qualification that allows you to pursue a career in a profession which enables you to earn money in order to pay back the loan back.

Everybody knows the loan can be written off at a certain point and you don't start paying back until your earning over a certain amount. It's a pretty good system tbf

yeah or you could provide it for free and actually get more people in to university. a better educated population gives you a better country in the future, it's a long-term investment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending