The Student Room Group

Racial Representation in Democracy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Truths
And rather than relying on mere good faith, take a look at history. Where you already have a cosmopolitan society, racism will be a byproduct of nationalism.

You're simply assuming that current nationalistic parties are racist because of historical factors. By that logic, we should not trust Germans or Austrians because of their history.
Reply 21
Original post by Aceadria
You're simply assuming that current nationalistic parties are racist because of historical factors. By that logic, we should not trust Germans or Austrians because of their history.

That's not how it works.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
I guess that's why there are so many black swimmers and white sprinters.

you're comparing politics and opinions to physical fitness? :lol: oh brother...seriously.
Original post by sleepysnooze
you're comparing politics and opinions to physical fitness? :lol: oh brother...seriously.

He claimed races are "equal in their natures". They aren't, and they aren't even equal in their rights by the way, at least under the current system.

Equality is the most foolish idea to come to the human mind. You will not think of the rich's rights as being equal to yours when you are starving or dying from thirst, I promise you that.
He claimed races are "equal in their natures". They aren't, and they aren't even equal in their rights by the way, at least under the current

their mental natures. I was referring to their bloody mental natures. why would I, in terms of politics, be saying that all races are *physically* equal? -_-
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
their mental natures. I was referring to their bloody mental natures. why would I, in terms of politics, be saying that all races are *physically* equal? -_-

You clearly have no knowledge of science so shouldn't mention nature.
Original post by Truths
That's not how it works.

Again, just stating something does not make it fact.
Original post by quasimot0
Racism also won't end if you ignore it. You need to talk about it first to start doing something about it

I would argue the contrary, racism won't end if you keep perpetuating some unhealthy obsession with it.
Original post by limetang
I would argue the contrary, racism won't end if you keep perpetuating some unhealthy obsession with it.

This.
Original post by limetang

Could you give an example of an unhealthy obsession? I think it is a good idea to have some level of racial representation in democracy, as it would be easy to feel disenfranchised when no one represents you. However, there are limits to representation- eg> I don't think women should vote for Clinton because she is a woman, Bernie Sanders is more likely to create the equal social conditions for women through his policies.
Reply 30
I was wondering, and I think it's a good idea, that there is a democratic representative for each ethnic group in a population for the sole purpose of raising issues that affect that ethinicity. Eg in America there is a situation where black people keep being shot. If there was an ethnic representative then he could continually raise this issue to the government. There is a problem that some voices won't be heard and that there will be serious injustices happening systematically because of tensions between ethnic groups. If there is an ethnic representative then at least these people can have their voice heard so that they don't have to resort to violence.

So what are you proposing? We introduce ethnic diversity quotas within the government?

I have never been convinced by quotas fulfilling their intended purpose. I think the situation is bigger than this. You have social groups keeping themselves to themselves out of fear and familiarity and perpetuating that closeness within their communities. If everyone integrated more successfully, diversity would naturally diffuse into the government, or so that is my opinion. Education is key, educate everyone so that ignorance and fear of the unknown are destroyed. A good education system, one that isn't made to cater for and perpetuate elitism.

I can only dream.
Original post by quasimot0
Could you give an example of an unhealthy obsession? I think it is a good idea to have some level of racial representation in democracy, as it would be easy to feel disenfranchised when no one represents you. However, there are limits to representation- eg> I don't think women should vote for Clinton because she is a woman, Bernie Sanders is more likely to create the equal social conditions for women through his policies.

Bahar Mustafa, if we want an easy, blatant example of something like this. Here you have a person, who I don't doubt would view herself as being against racism supporting and holding events that were 'BME only', with reasoning being along the lines of: this group is 'oppressed' and so it needs to be able to meet in a racially pure setting away from the dirty evil whites *cough* erm I mean oppressors.

Her thinking, all the way through has been heavily based on an obsession with race, an obsession with this idea that people are different because of their race. The casualties in this are everyone, they're the white people who are being actively discriminated against, and they're the so-called "BME" people who've been treat like toddlers who couldn't possibly live with the rest of society.

I don't want representation of diversity, because I don't want any society to be divided, especially along race lines. I don't see how this is in any way a good solution. I can only see a perpetuation of division between people of different races in doing this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Again, just stating something does not make it fact.

Nationalism is a system. A set of ideals with effects and outcomes. A state is territory under a single government. There are no inherent values and traditions in being a state in and of itself. Your comparison is invalid.

Germany did not commit those acts becuase they were a state of Germany but because they were a nationalist state at them time. You tried tho.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Truths
Nationalism is a system. A set of ideals with effects and outcomes. A state is territory under a single government. There are no inherent values and traditions in being a state in and of itself. Your comparison is invalid.

Germany did not commit those acts becuase they were a state of Germany but because they were a nationalist state at them time. You tried tho.

You haven't addressed my earlier point, Truths. Please re-read them and come back with a relevant reply.
Reply 34
You haven't addressed my earlier point, Truths. Please re-read them and come back with a relevant reply.

Lol nice try.
"You're simply assuming that current nationalistic parties are racist because of historical factors."

You didn't get my point right to begin with. I said nationalism breeds racism, xenophobia and intolerance in a cosmopolitan society.

The parties you've listed may not "incite racism" now, but that's because they have no power. And virtually no representation in parliament. Maybe if you have a homogenous society a nationalist party could work, but they never work in diverse societies like our own.
Original post by Truths
Lol nice try.
"You're simply assuming that current nationalistic parties are racist because of historical factors."

You didn't get my point right to begin with. I said nationalism breeds racism, xenophobia and intolerance in a cosmopolitan society.

The parties you've listed may not "incite racism" now, but that's because they have no power. And virtually no representation in parliament. Maybe if you have a homogenous society a nationalist party could work, but they never work in diverse societies like our own.

Much better.

They may not, but to assume that they will in the future based purely on what history has shown is wrong. You cannot predict the future based purely on the past.
Original post by JPO92
So what are you proposing? We introduce ethnic diversity quotas within the government?

I have never been convinced by quotas fulfilling their intended purpose. I think the situation is bigger than this. You have social groups keeping themselves to themselves out of fear and familiarity and perpetuating that closeness within their communities. If everyone integrated more successfully, diversity would naturally diffuse into the government, or so that is my opinion. Education is key, educate everyone so that ignorance and fear of the unknown are destroyed. A good education system, one that isn't made to cater for and perpetuate elitism.

I can only dream.

I'm not talking about quotas. I'm talking about representatives for each ethnic group who can raise issues specific for that ethnic group with the main purpose of preventing systematic injustices. If there are no injustices happening then they can all go on holiday or something, but when there are, they need to come and raise the issue.
I'm not talking about quotas. I'm talking about representatives for each ethnic group who can raise issues specific for that ethnic group with the main purpose of preventing systematic injustices. If there are no injustices happening then they can all go on holiday or something, but when there are, they need to come and raise the issue.

Who defines who gets a rep and who doesnt? Do slavs get one? Non british europeans? North and south indians? What about celts?

He claimed races are "equal in their natures". They aren't, and they aren't even equal in their rights by the way, at least under the current system.

Part of the mistake you made was not realizing that the differences are more confined that racial. Notice how black sprinters come from particular parts of africs?
You clearly have no knowledge of science so shouldn't mention nature.

lol no knowledge of science - what are you even disputing?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Who defines who gets a rep and who doesnt? Do slavs get one? Non british europeans? North and south indians? What about celts?

It should be based on genetics with a minimal proportion requirement for representation, say 1% of the populous. There should also be a "Minority Representative" to raise the most important issues for the smaller groups. Clearly this would require accurate quotas.
Part of the mistake you made was not realizing that the differences are more confined that racial. Notice how black sprinters come from particular parts of africs?

I don't understand what you mean to say that differences are "more confined than racial". Are you saying that the differences are trivial? If so then you're focussing only on the trivial differences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending