The Student Room Group

Is giving authority to science almost as bad as giving authority to a religion?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slimewizard
Since science is done by humans, who are naturally biased and have different interpretations to things, it is as fallible as any other belief system.
People who 'worship' science and claim intellectual superiority over the religious are effectively doing the same thing as zealots.

I kinda think humanity is still in its infancy in terms of how much we know, as some theoretical physicists think that an objective reality may not even exist at all

Who...?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'd lump the scientific view as a sub part of the critical/sceptical viewpoint. You have to be criticist (is that a thing?:tongue:) and a skeptic to be scientist but you don't have to be a scientist to be a skeptic etc. If you get what I mean.

Yes :smile:

The further we get from idealised simplified systems the harder it is to be rigorously scientific and it gets more squishy. We can predict motion of planets but we can not predict how human societies will develop to anywhere near the same degree of accuracy (Marxism is an example of false sense of scientific understanding leading to untold misery). But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to apply scientific analysis and understanding to these areas. We can do studies to test the hypothesis that say Trump is the result of an increase in authoritarian tendencies in the American population. That's never going to be as rigorousse as physics but we can learn something from it. Physicist like Friedman thought things like social sciences, or even parts of biology like nutrition, shouldn't be called sciences since we just don't have the understanding.

Hmm... I'm not so sure. I can only talk about history though.

Is good history based on evidence? Yes. Is it based on critical evaluation..? Yes. Is it scientific? No. You can't apply the scientific method to history. It's not a scientific discipline. Sometimes scientific evidence is used in writing history, but the "history" part is never scientific. It just... can't be. :beard:

So you should apply scientific analysis to the extent that scientific analysis overlaps with critical analysis.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Hmm... I'm not so sure. I can only talk about history though.

Is good history based on evidence? Yes. Is it based on critical evaluation..? Yes. Is it scientific? No. You can't apply the scientific method to history. It's not a scientific discipline. Sometimes scientific evidence is used in writing history, but the "history" part is never scientific. It just... can't be. :beard:

So you should apply scientific analysis to the extent that scientific analysis overlaps with critical analysis.

I think I mean you should apply it wherever you can and it makes sense to do so. But it isn't enough on its own or may be impossible to carry out. We can;t go back in time and survey peasants for example. So what your bolded bit says (which I am going to steel for use in the future :tongue:).

Marxism was as attempt at what is now called social science and political science. Political scientists employ what can be called scientific methods. The below is an example.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

It also merges with history.

I agree there are a load of areas where it can;t be done or wouldn't help or miss the point. Like what you said about history.
(edited 8 years ago)
Science doesn't ask you to believe in them nor worship them. If that's the case there would be no peer review, or new discovery that rebuke the old. Science shows you what you should believe in, it doesn't force you to believe. Eg . When you jump off a tall building you fall down and die. Science calls it Newtons law of physics. Feel free to not believe in it and jump off Westminster palace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
In place of people being for their religious beliefs, online I've noticed an increasing trend for the polar opposite, which I consider almost as bad.

When people think science should give your life purpose usw. usf.

Such as the other day when someone said that "we have a duty to science to know & understand more." Like wtf? (I'm not explaining my disagreement 'cos I want to see your thoughts.)

What are your thoughts on giving authority to science?

What does usw. usf mean?

Anyway, science is actually the opposite of authority. Authority says "believe me because I am in charge". Science says "believe me because of evidence". That is why so many established ideas have been overthrown by science and will continue to be. And why incorrect scientific ideas will continue to be overthrown.

Original post by the bear
scientists are the new secular priesthood. with their obscure jargon and hermetic societies they inspire awe and fear.
they cling fanatically to their belief systems; any scientist who dares to challenge the status quo is anathema; heresy is not tolerated.

What nonsense. Scientists spend their careers challenging the status quo and other scientists' beliefs.
Sometimes scientific evidence is used in writing history, but the "history" part is never scientific. It just... can't be. :beard:

Archaeology, paleontology, cosmology, and evolution are all historical sciences, and geology and climatology can be too.

Read Guns Germs and Steel for a very nice argument that human history should be much more scientific than it is.
nothing* is as stupid as giving authority to a religion
Original post by chazwomaq
What does usw. usf mean?

Anyway, science is actually the opposite of authority. Authority says "believe me because I am in charge". Science says "believe me because of evidence". That is why so many established ideas have been overthrown by science and will continue to be. And why incorrect scientific ideas will continue to be overthrown.

What nonsense. Scientists spend their careers challenging the status quo and other scientists' beliefs.

For the German "Und so weiter und so fort". That means "and so on and so forth". I love the abbreviation.

How can you say that, and make that distinction?

And it's more like "believe me because of more evidence", despite many basing it on faulty premises. Many people who go in the name of science don't even have a lot of depth into it. Many people lack sufficient depth (though that "sufficient" is spoken arbitrarily at the moment.)

My issue is the am the amount of command people give to science for their lives.
Original post by sleepysnooze
nothing* is as stupid as giving authority to a religion

I'm not saying that.

I'm asking whether you think it is almost as stupid to give it to 'science'.

Trust me, I am in no way in favour of religion.
scientists are the new secular priesthood. with their obscure jargon and hermetic societies they inspire awe and fear.
they cling fanatically to their belief systems; any scientist who dares to challenge the status quo is anathema; heresy is not tolerated.

This is weirdly kind of true, though. Barry Marshall claimed that everyone was entrenched in their opposition to his hypothesis and wouldn't give him the time of day because of how absurd it was. Until he proved his hypothesis right and got the Nobel Prize for it.
For the German "Und so weiter und so fort". That means "and so on and so forth". I love the abbreviation.

Geil.

How can you say that, and make that distinction?

And it's more like "believe me because of more evidence", despite many basing it on faulty premises. Many people who go in the name of science don't even have a lot of depth into it. Many people lack sufficient depth (though that "sufficient" is spoken arbitrarily at the moment.)

If it's based on faulty premises or too shallow, then it's bad evidence and bad science.

My issue is the am the amount of command people give to science for their lives.

Science is a way of finding out truth, and I don't think anyone's come up with a better way yet. I don't see how it can command anyone.
I'm not saying that.

I'm asking whether you think it is almost as stupid to give it to 'science'.

Trust me, I am in no way in favour of religion.

it depends - science shouldn't necessarily be appealed to blindly because there have been times where science hasn't been completely correct, but appealing to a religion is like appeal to a person who has continuously not only got everything~ wrong but proven their intentions to be negative. so science looks infinitely more useful to believe in on face value than religion does. religion is immodest and unintelligent. at least science can boast about its humility and its lack of absurd claims, making it more reliable for belief.
Archaeology, paleontology, cosmology, and evolution are all historical sciences, and geology and climatology can be too.

These are areas with historical considerations/historical sciences.... but they're not 'history' per se.... but I guess this is also a semantic argument about how you define 'history'? I am wishy-washy.

Read Guns Germs and Steel for a very nice argument that human history should be much more scientific than it is.
Yes. I agree that history tends to focus too much on human agency and not enough on environmental factors and influences. :beard:

But... I still think the 'history' part of history can't be scientific- you're studying something that no longer exists for us, and if you're studying human/political history you're studying an abstract thing that never physically existed at all, and cannot be repeated or empirically observed. And of course as humans we are way to close to our own history to be objective.

:dontknow:
Religion claims truth in what is false and that all other theories are wrong.
Science teaches that nothing is for certain and we are always developing better ways to view the world.

I know which one I would rather pick.

studying something that no longer exists for us, and if you're studying human/political history you're studying an abstract thing that never physically existed at all, and cannot be repeated or empirically observed. And of course as humans we are way to close to our own history to be objective.

That's why I mentioned the historical sciences. They also study things that no longer exist and cannot be observed directly. But their effects today can be observed, and hypotheses made and tested as per normal.

Human history may not be quite so amenable, but I think more historians should try. And archaeologists try to do it all the time.
That's why I mentioned the historical sciences. They also study things that no longer exist and cannot be observed directly. But their effects today can be observed, and hypotheses made and tested as per normal.

Human history may not be quite so amenable, but I think more historians should try. And archaeologists try to do it all the time.

Yes but a key difference is they're studying physical things which obey physical laws, no? Also - with cosmology as an example but it might also be true of others - you're studying things that exist in the present and using that make conclusions about what happened in past aren't you...? That's why it's "historical sciences" not "scientific history" right...? Might just be getting in to semantics though....

Historians do try. There's a lot of literature about being scientific in history.

Environmental History has also been gaining much more traction over the past couple of decades or so.

But I do think you need to be careful not to confuse using scientific evidence in analysis as a scientific conclusion. :beard: Can't really create scientific theories/laws for history in the same way as we have the theory for evolution, either.

I don't really have any conclusive ideas about any of this, so it's good to talk about :woo:
Yes but a key difference is they're studying physical things which obey physical laws, no? Also - with cosmology as an example but it might also be true of others - you're studying things that exist in the present and using that make conclusions about what happened in past aren't you...? That's why it's "historical sciences" not "scientific history" right...? Might just be getting in to semantics though....

All of established cosmology is as rigorous as physics you can demonstrate in the lab. You can measure the cosmic background radiation for example. So you are right in a way. We use stuff we can meadure right now to learn about the past. It also helps that due to the speed limit of light we can literally look into the past and test it :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

But... I still think the 'history' part of history can't be scientific- you're studying something that no longer exists for us, and if you're studying human/political history you're studying an abstract thing that never physically existed at all, and cannot be repeated or empirically observed. And of course as humans we are way to close to our own history to be objective.

Isn't that what the idea of historical materialism is about? The idea that human societies develop based on material conditions. What if human agency is just an illusions and it is actually physical factors that push us. So when it is recorded that the leader of group of people said "lets move over there" he was actually just the expression of the result of a famine due to meteorological factors and a bunch of hungry people wanting food.

What if we are slaves to forces we don;t understand :eek:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

What if we are slaves to forces we don;t understand :eek:

...aaand we've come full circle back to God :wink:

they cling fanatically to their belief systems

...you mean apart from when they completely change their theories based on new evidence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending