The Student Room Group

SHM

If T= 2pi sqrt((h^2+k^2)/gh), how can i rearrange it to get y=mx+c
Original post by Ayaz789
If T= 2pi sqrt((h^2+k^2)/gh), how can i rearrange it to get y=mx+c

y = mx + c refers to the proportionality (maybe you have recognized that?). So everything what you have to do is to rearrange your equation T= 2pi sqrt((h^2+k^2)/gh) to get the proportionality of simple harmonic motion.
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
y = mx + c refers to the proportionality (maybe you have recognized that?). So everything what you have to do is to rearrange your equation T= 2pi sqrt((h^2+k^2)/gh) to get the proportionality of simple harmonic motion.

Thanks for the help but whats the x component? We square both sides first then?
Original post by Ayaz789

presume this is for a uniform rod type compound pendulum...

I definitely would
have a think about what's constant and what's going to be variable?

Spoiler

Original post by Ayaz789

When it is asked for proportionality, the graph is linear. in y = mx + c, x is the variable which increase the left side of the equation, so y. m stands for the slope and c is the y-intercept. All what you need is to rearrange the equation that this linear property of proportionality comes out. To square on both sides is the beginning.
Reply 5
Original post by Kallisto
When it is asked for proportionality, the graph is linear. in y = mx + c, x is the variable which increase the left side of the equation, so y. m stands for the slope and c is the y-intercept. All what you need is to rearrange the equation that this linear property of proportionality comes out. To square on both sides is the beginning.

So i get T^2=4pi^2((h^2+k^2)/gh)
Then what do i do
Original post by Ayaz789
So i get T^2=4pi^2((h^2+k^2)/gh)
Then what do i do

Go further. Those are my steps:

= 4pi²(h² + k²)/gh (to summarize)
= 4pi²h² + 4pi²k²/gh
= 4pi²h + 4pi²k²/g (to factorize)
= 4pi²(h + k²)/g

For g = constant, the formular and the graph of it should be linear after y = mx + c.

Quick Reply

Latest