The Student Room Group

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?

Poll

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?

The Association of Teachers and Lecturers has voted to lobby for better training for staff to support transgender pupils.

Teachers with experience of supporting these pupils have said that changes to toilets, changing rooms and uniforms are more straightforward ways to help - what do you think?

Should these changes be made? ie. all gender toilets and changing rooms

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Having at least one all gender bathroom and changing area and letting people wear whatever uniform they want isn't going to hurt anyone and will make things easier for pupils who identify as trans or gender non-binary. Can't think of a reason why you wouldn't do it :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Whilst I agree that accommodating transgender pupils is important, I can imagine this sort of heavy handed liberalism being a disaster in terms of protecting girls.

In the PE changing rooms at my school, there were loads of fights, people having their pants pulled down, bags chucked in the shower. If one person suffers sexual assault as a result of this, there should be immediate resignations.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think better education of pupils would be better, than having gender neutral environments.

Once the education that it's OK to be different sets in you can be progressive with facility changes.

Spoiler

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Yes. Having at least one all gender bathroom and changing area and letting people wear whatever uniform they want isn't going to hurt anyone and will make things easier for pupils who identify as trans. Can't think of a reason why you wouldn't do it :dontknow:

This is fair, but it would absolutely have to stay at that, an all gender area in addition to male/female only areas.
What happens to a trans child at a unisex school?
I don't see how much gender neutral you can get with school uniforms, most now are trousers/skirt and a jumper/blazer (aren't they?) I see a lot of girls wearing trousers, so why should any one male by birth not be allowed to wear a skirt.

My question is how would you address such issues at single gender schools?
Original post by Wewuz Hebrews
This is fair, but it would absolutely have to stay at that, an all gender area in addition to male/female only areas.

Aye, I think you'd have to have all three as an option.
Original post by DonkeyShlong
I don't see how much gender neutral you can get with school uniforms, most now are trousers/skirt and a jumper/blazer (aren't they?) I see a lot of girls wearing trousers, so why should any one male by birth not be allowed to wear a skirt.

The obsession with protecting certain strata of the population is beginning to become a bad joke, eventually students of all genders will be forced to wear androgynous jumpsuits.
Original post by MarleyZ
The Association of Teachers and Lecturers has voted to lobby for better training for staff to support transgender pupils.

Teachers with experience of supporting these pupils have said that changes to toilets, changing rooms and uniforms are more straightforward ways to help - what do you think?

Should these changes be made? ie. all gender toilets and changing rooms

go to the opposite toilet area of what your birth gender was
go to the opposite changing area of what your birth gender was
wear whatever uniform they want but tbh they should wear same uniform as everyone else, if they're a trans boy then wear boy uniform right??

Welcome to the gulag.
it would incredibly easy to exploit, as south park demonstrated when cartman simply claimed to be trans and therefore the school had to let him use it or else they'd get sued
Original post by AlmightyJesus
it would incredibly easy to exploit, as south park demonstrated when cartman simply claimed to be trans and therefore the school had to let him use it or else they'd get sued

Hmm... what's wrong with everyone using the gender neutral bathroom? :holmes: Or wearing whatever uniform they want?

Exactly. People who are trans can have a really tough time, more than most people and they should be protected, but you can't completely undermine the experience of everyone else and it does feel as if people who don't constantly lobby government about their issues get absolutely shafted.
Hmm... what's wrong with everyone using the gender neutral bathroom? :holmes: Or wearing whatever uniform they want?

aren't there already disabled loos in schools? maybe there should be a "disabled/neutral toilet" if not. it's not that I don't think "trans kids" (transsexual, at least, not transgender, because these are kids we're talking about) don't deserve the facilities, it's just the pragmatic issues
Hmm... what's wrong with everyone using the gender neutral bathroom?

At my school people were standing on toilet seats chucking stuff at people's heads as they used the bathroom (not me because that's too dirty, even for the bottom of my boot)

:holmes: Or wearing whatever uniform they want?

Or no uniform and respect the wishes of every single individual rather than destroying people's identities...

South Park is a valuable social commentary. We should base all of our policy on it.
Original post by Wewuz Hebrews
Or no uniform and respect the wishes of every single individual rather than destroying people's identities...

^this (Y)
Original post by JordanL_
South Park is a valuable social commentary. We should base all of our policy on it.

strawman argument; I used it as an example, not as an authority. pay attention, champ.
you're basically implying that any other anecdotal example is better than one from a television show - why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending