The Student Room Group

Bartenders who hate their customers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Where else is the change going to go?

Well yeah true :lol:

It's hard to explain but if you talk to other bar staff it's something that is always brought up as rude or arrogant behaviour. Basically holding their hand (more like arm) out while not paying attention to the person serving them (usually while nattering away, drinking, looking at their phone etc), doing absolutely anything nothing to acknowledge the person serving them.

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I like bar staff most places, Ill admit I much prefer them up north/Scotland and in Irish pubs, where they are more upbeat, friendly and funny. Has anyone had this happen to them, for me with a few pubs in the south-east, places that already have a soulless cliquey feeeling(and don't ask me how but I know they are Tories), just have that horrible thing where they sneer at you or whisper to the server next to them, before you order. Then they give you this obsequious demeanour like 'hello sir / sorry sir' in their horrible east anglian accents, and pretend they didn't do it. It's some mind game. Yeah, but not a great fan of the smarmy ultra Tory(or even UKIP) counties anyway.
Never really have 'got it'.

I have no idea what you're talking about :lol: tbh I mostly go to pubs in the East Midlands seeing I live there, but when I do my yearly commutes to Cambridge, Newmarket and London I've never really had much attitude or smirking from bar staff (not sure I've even been called sir outside of a few notable occasions). Also bar staff whispering is generally normal, normally things like "we've ran out of coke just serve diet", "beer XYZ has run out", "we may need to stop serving *insert name here*", "what price is *insert product*", 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the person you're serving but not something you really want to shout out to the rest of the bar. Most village pubs will be, by very definition be in the countryside and thus be in ultra tory area's, and I've never seen much of an issue in the vast majority even down south.

However bar staff I do tend to find that have attitudes are those in hipster bar's, clubs, cocktail lounge or niche bars. Now while most of the staff are still great, I tend to find a higher chance of being served by some hipster like individual who thinks it's fun and unique to serve someone in a incredibly sarcastic, rude and belittling manner.

Brewdog bars (they're not pubs for the love of god) to be among some of the worst offenders. I've asked what types of beers were on tap to the response "well they're all beers" which isn't incredibly helpful, smirked at when I've ordered certain beers I like because the server prefers something else and then belittled when I was asked what I normally drank and my response was stout's or bitters. "Oh you mean Guinness? *rolls eyes*" No, titanic stout, but carry on, "and why would you drink bitter? It tastes like stale water, craft ales are much better than real ales", I don't think you understand what bitters, real ale or craft beers are..... I now prefer to avoid their establishments now despite the fact I really enjoy their beers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DanB1991

I have no idea what you're talking about :lol: tbh I mostly go to pubs in the East Midlands seeing I live there, but when I do my yearly commutes to Cambridge, Newmarket and London I've never really had much attitude or smirking from bar staff (not sure I've even been called sir outside of a few notable occasions). Also bar staff whispering is generally normal, normally things like "we've ran out of coke just serve diet", "beer XYZ has run out", "we may need to stop serving *insert name here*", "what price is *insert product*", 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the person you're serving but not something you really want to shout out to the rest of the bar. Most village pubs will be, by very definition be in the countryside and thus be in ultra tory area's, and I've never seen much of an issue in the vast majority even down south.

I call all the guests sir when I'm serving them for the first time, most of our staff don't but it is actually part of our ops procedure. I like it, it gives a touch of class to our presentation. One of our bar staff got *******ed by the old ops manager for calling people love and mate when serving! :smile:

If I'm muttering under my breath its normally "stop leaving f'ing limes in my sink!" or "who keeps stocking this damn bar with all the bottles back to front?!!" haha
Original post by IanDangerously
I call all the guests sir when I'm serving them for the first time, most of our staff don't but it is actually part of our ops procedure. I like it, it gives a touch of class to our presentation. One of our bar staff got *******ed by the old ops manager for calling people love and mate when serving! :smile:

If I'm muttering under my breath its normally "stop leaving f'ing limes in my sink!" or "who keeps stocking this damn bar with all the bottles back to front?!!" haha

It's really part of your procedure? Tbh when people call me sir it makes me feel uncomfortable as it either A) sounds forced or B) like they're taking the piss out of you.

The first village pub I worked at trailed this type of etiquette, which resulted mostly in weird looks or uncomfortable customers who didn't know how to react so it was dropped :lol: Most place I've worked out simply require basic manners and a positive demeanour while serving customers. However *mate* is only reserved for people you also talk to outside of work.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending