The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay is a choice

Scroll to see replies

it's a fact that sexuality is not a choice. you can believe what you want, but the fact will always remain
Reply 181
Original post by ComputerMaths97

I think it's extremely fair to assume being gay is technically a genetic disorder, but if you word it like that people get incredibly offended for some reason. Despite the percentages of gay people in populations being similar to percentages of people with dominant allele genetic disorders.

I suspect it's less about the use of the word 'disorder', and more about the loaded messages people try and embed into the term. I very rarely see people using the words 'gay' and 'disorder' in a manner that attempts to open up an actual discussion. In my experience, it's people with dogmatic views using loaded terms to try and poke other people with a stick. Both sides are certainly guilty of this, but the one who use the term 'disorder' so loosely usually accompany it with diatribe about encouraging discrimination and harmful interventions (e.g. ex-gay therapies).

To address the point regarding 'disorders', I think it relies too much on a narrowly focused view of biology. It's one thing to state that reproduction is the bedrock of our survival as a species, but it almost seems like amateur biology to simply make a sweeping remark like that without really considering anything beyond that. For example, there are theories being explored about whether homosexual animals within a species act as a 'safeguard' to protect the nurturing of an offspring. By having homosexuals within a species, this means that childless animals will 'adopt' babies whose parents have either abandoned them or been killed. It is something that is popularly observed within penguin colonies. Therefore, if we accept that homosexuals have that instinctual desire to nurture and are capable of doing so, then it's plausible that they're actually there for a clear purpose.

I'm certainly no expert in biology, evolution, anthropology etc, but it's a theory I do find particularly interesting regardless.
Original post by TGS_Lila
I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.

There was some rubbish theory that said all women were bisexual, it wasn't the same for males.
Original post by shawtyb
im bi and love it :smile: more choice :wink:

Which is fine but you are a lucky minority! :smile:.
very naive thing to say lol
Reply 185
It's funny how religious people are convinced that homosexuality is a choice, but want to segregate on gender. I mean, if gays had chosen to be gay, perhaps putting women all around them would "cure" them... but no, women must be concealed, dormitories must be single-gender, etc.
:rolleyes:
Reply 186
Original post by Josb
It's funny how religious people are convinced that homosexuality is a choice, but want to segregate on gender. I mean, if gays had chosen to be gay, perhaps putting women all around them would "cure" them... but no, women must be concealed, dormitories must be single-gender, etc.
:rolleyes:

perhaps instead of shouting at these people telling them they are wrong. Have you ever tried explaining it to them instead? Without using the word 'stupid' 'idiot'. It just makes your point seem irrelevant.
Reply 187
Original post by Drunq
perhaps instead of shouting at these people telling them they are wrong. Have you ever tried explaining it to them instead? Without using the word 'stupid' 'idiot'. It just makes your point seem irrelevant.

I didn't shout and use the words 'stupid' or 'idiot'. Learn to read.
Reply 188
Original post by Josb
I didn't shout and use the words 'stupid' or 'idiot'. Learn to read.

I'm talking in general, have you ever used the english language other than directly reading?
Original post by ivybridge
Which is fine but you are a lucky minority! :smile:.

why lucky? lol
Wtf is your logic behind this do you think people just randomly wake up one morning and are like "ooh yeah i know i'll start dating the same sex because i love not only the cock/vagina but also being discriminated against".... CLOWN.
Original post by shawtyb
why lucky? lol

Because you're content.
No it's not. I would choose to be heterosexual anyday and I think the vast majority of LGBTQIA people would. You are wrong.

If it makes you feel better bebs, I love gay men.
Because you're content.

oh haha :smile: yea
You can choose to engage in homosexual behavior, but you can't choose to have homosexual attractions. While your life choices my influence your sexual development (as the expression of homosexuality is also influenced by environment), you can't just wake up one day and 'choose' to be a homosexual.

And to those saying you're born gay; that's not how it works. The science on the matter suggests some are born with a genetic predisposition to homosexuality, but other factors such as environment play an important role. If it was 100% genetic, identical twins (who share the same genes) would always both be homosexual.
Reply 195
why is this discussion still going on? zzz

Latest

Trending

Trending