The Student Room Group

Is this cultural appropriation?

[video="youtube;yO7MWuJ7zLA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO7MWuJ7zLA[/video]

Yodelling is associated with European culture and probably has roots in Africa, the dude is Japanese. Should I post this to my tumblr blog?
Original post by Zargabaath
[video="youtube;yO7MWuJ7zLA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO7MWuJ7zLA[/video]

Yodelling is associated with European culture and probably has roots in Africa, the dude is Japanese. Should I post this to my tumblr blog?

As someone from the alpine region, I am deeply offended by this. I shall be reporting you for not including any trigger warnings.
Reply 2
Original post by Aceadria
As someone from the alpine region, I am deeply offended by this. I shall be reporting you for not including any trigger warnings.

Reporting is one of my triggers. Checkmate.

But seriously, surely this counts as cultural appropriation? If non-blacks are appropriating black culture by rapping, surely this is also appropriation?
Well anything is considered cultural appropriation these days. As a Buddhist, I'm tired of being told that I'm not allowed to do certain things such as meditating of visiting the Bodhi tree because it treads on people's toes.
*grabs popcorn for what will inevitably become a thread exceeding 44 pages in length*
Why are people against cultural appropriation? Enlighten me.
This question presupposes that cultural appropriation exists. It does not.
Reply 7
Original post by bethanystephens
Well anything is considered cultural appropriation these days. As a Buddhist, I'm tired of being told that I'm not allowed to do certain things such as meditating of visiting the Bodhi tree because it treads on people's toes.

My English teacher at GCSE once got sent home and made to change her clothes for wearing a sari on world book day, because this girl complained. Wanna know the best bit? The girl wasn't even Indian :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by tengentoppa
This question presupposes that cultural appropriation exists. It does not.

The internet said it does, so it does.

Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
Why are people against cultural appropriation? Enlighten me.

Because the internet said it's bad
Original post by Zargabaath
My English teacher at GCSE once got sent home for wearing a sari on world book day, because this girl complained. Wanna know the best bit? The girl wasn't even Indian :rofl:

A girl left my NCS group last year after my Indian boyfriend put on an indian accent when quoting his dad. The girl, who was Japanese left because he had "deeply offended her".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending