The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people believe in "institutional racism"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThePCPolice
You see, back in the good old days, the days when Pakistan was a British Territory, in the 1800's. Pakistanis were sick and tired of being under occupation, so once they gained Independence, they sought revenge. They asked themselves "They occupied us, what can we do to get them back?". Then it hit them, not only where they asking the question, they were also answering it. Invade Britain. However, this was the 21st century, you couldn't just occupy a country outright (Except for Israel, but that's a story for another time). They had to occupy Britain covertly. They soon realized over-running the British with their own kind was the the most effective way. So It began, thousands upon thousands of Pakistani's migrated to the UK. They integrated into society, they became the leaders of their society (Sadiq Khan). This effect can be seen on many British websites, even this one. Because most Pakistani's are Muslim and a the sites user are very often Pakistani, in effect, this site is full of Muslims.Hope that answers your question :smile:

If the Pakistani people are capable of carrying out such a highly-coordinated and covert conspiracy extending over multiple generations then Britain deserves to be "occupied".

Or it's just a little thing called economic migration?
Original post by drogon
Institutional racism is a pattern of social institutions such as governmental organizations, schools, banks, and courts of law giving negative treatment to a group of people based on their race.

I think time is ultimately irrelevant. Even if it begins today, it would still be institutionalised. Dont you think if institutionalised racism happened since the 50s, we can still dismiss it?

I disagree.
What you are saying, in hidden form, is that the exams are designed in such a way that "white" people pass and thus get the good jobs .

We can see by looking at the FULL SPECTRUM of ethnic groups that some do better than locals and some do worse.

I do agree that it is a good idea to give failing groups a leg up, but I do not think its helpful to describe their failure as due to some other group.

As a Christian I always have been taught, generally speaking, look to myself, if I want to do better, don't assume the other person is to blame for my failure.
OK it may or may not exist but it's not tangible or easily detectable, much like media propaganda or left wing appeasement of things like immigration/etc
Reply 43
Original post by FredOrJohn
I disagree.
What you are saying, in hidden form, is that the exams are designed in such a way that "white" people pass and thus get the good jobs .

We can see by looking at the FULL SPECTRUM of ethnic groups that some do better than locals and some do worse.

I do agree that it is a good idea to give failing groups a leg up, but I do not think its helpful to describe their failure as due to some other group.

As a Christian I always have been taught, generally speaking, look to myself, if I want to do better, don't assume the other person is to blame for my failure.

You disagree with the definition? ok. I think you need to google some examples of institutionalised racism.
Original post by drogon
You disagree with the definition? ok. I think you need to google some examples of institutionalised racism.

Typical insitution?
I guess Tate Gallery.

Black Artists do well in Tate?
Well only perhaps the top painting (sold at cash desk)
Chris Ofili - No Woman No Cry:
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/ofili-no-woman-no-cry-t07502

Olympic Games?
anish kapoor
Reply 45
Typical insitution?
I guess Tate Gallery.

Black Artists do well in Tate?
Well only perhaps the top painting (sold at cash desk)
Chris Ofili - No Woman No Cry:
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/ofili-no-woman-no-cry-t07502

Olympic Games?
anish kapoor

wtf are you on about
Original post by The Roast
There's no solution in saying "There's racism out there" - how does that solve anything?

Show me a law that is racist in intent and we'll agree. Show me a police officer that commits a racist act, like in South Carolina when a black man was unlawfully shot whilst running away, and we'll agree.

The idea you can craft a narrative based on no racism just because it's somewhere out there in the ether doesn't solve problems, it creates more problems for people because now they grow up in an environment where there are told every obstacle they face is from this shadowy, nameless, faceless group who's out to get them simply because of the colour of their skin.

Spoiler

There all racial patterns to attributes, for example, long distance running is an institutionally racist sport, some racial groups are better suited to it, which is why the cross country Olympic events generally consist of a bunch of Africans competing with a European flag stapled to their back.

Education is also institutionally racist, it favors abilities that racially correlate.

Our society as a whole does promote a wide variety of attributes, but by enlarge, it promotes those groups with a higher IQ. 99% of management positions and other jobs that provide good social standing and financial freedom to support a family go to people with a certain IQ.

Whatever the cause, IQ is correlated with race, ergo our society is an amalgamation of racist institutions. It makes people uncomfortable to think of this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Roast
There's no solution in saying "There's racism out there" - how does that solve anything?

Show me a law that is racist in intent and we'll agree. Show me a police officer that commits a racist act, like in South Carolina when a black man was unlawfully shot whilst running away, and we'll agree.

The idea you can craft a narrative based on no racism just because it's somewhere out there in the ether doesn't solve problems, it creates more problems for people because now they grow up in an environment where there are told every obstacle they face is from this shadowy, nameless, faceless group who's out to get them simply because of the colour of their skin.

Spoiler

if you are even hinting institutional racism doesnt exist, then:

I read the link. It said: "there was no evidence whatsoever that black people in the UK in centuries gone by were slaves and that at best they numbered 10k (not even 0.1% of pop - not statistically significant). I am well aware that we all know that pocahontas lived, married and died here.. Its your link not mine

I know that is why I posted a second link :bigsmile:
Original post by drogon
wtf are you on about

You said, look up institutions and see if they are racist.

The Tate Gallery is a typical british institution.

I can't see any signs that the art establishment is "institutionally racist.
In fact our lead artist at present (the chap who won the contract for Olympics, anish kapoor, is Indian. Chris Ofili is about the biggest selling artist at the gift shop ("No Woman No Cry", zaha hadid (Iranian) , she seems to have built most of the west's contemporary spaces.

Give me another institution to look at this time, you choose (don't say Royal Family as that is a cop out - )

Royal Engineers?
HSBC?
Premier League?
Tesco?
Street Traders?
Fish &Chips?
Surrey Police?
The Labour Party?
Walkers Crisps?
Church of England?
London Marathon?
Students Union?
Gap Years?
Easyjet?
"Spoons"?
Man Utd?
Cream Tea , tea rooms?
Country Walks?
BBC1?
The Archers?
(edited 7 years ago)
How isn’t it. It’s literally the entire debate. People on the left don’t have anything against facts. They,you, hate facts. When facts are thrown at you, you have no response, so you say you’re being bullied, or that was racist. It’s ridiculous.
Reply 51
Original post by tankspencerksu21
How isn’t it. It’s literally the entire debate. People on the left don’t have anything against facts. They,you, hate facts. When facts are thrown at you, you have no response, so you say you’re being bullied, or that was racist. It’s ridiculous.

Don't bump old threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending