The Student Room Group

If a homeless person was begging you to buy them breakfast, would you ignore them?

Scroll to see replies

I tend not to give money to people begging for money because lots are actually not homeless and do that professionally, but if someone came up to me and asked for breakfast I definitely would buy them one(or at least give them some money if I was in a rush)
(edited 7 years ago)
I am wary of beggars / homeless people these days. Some run like a cartel, organised operation fighting for certain lucrative spots... Can make hundreds of £'s a day
(edited 7 years ago)
Going to uni this year for the first time I was shocked at the amount of homeless people in the city centre. I generally do if asked but have never been. The more common occurrence is I'll overhear asking a homeless person asking someone other than myself for food. I often, double back as I did when I brought a guy Café Nero or the guy I bought a Burger King meal. I often go up and down the main street and hand out sandwiches worth it because IAAMOAC.

Edit: For a safety tip id add I don't give anyone money since who knows where it would end up and I'm wary of people who claim they know me when we have never met etc. but 99% of the homeless people I've met are stand up people.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not an assumption. The act of refusing to feed hungry people (provided you have the means to) in and of itself makes you an ********.

Original post by Blue_Mason
What a rude assumption
Well there are people who fake that they are homeless. I mean i've seen this a lot in France. They can afford clothes and food but they still say that they are homeless when they aren't. However, i would give them anything that i have. :smile:
Original post by cherryred90s
Homeless people can't work because they have no address.

There are loads of jobs that homeless people can do without having an address, i.e. handing out leaflets for money et cetera...
Original post by Marshall Taylor
There are loads of jobs that homeless people can do without having an address, i.e. handing out leaflets for money et cetera...

For any type of paid work, you will need an address otherwise it's illegal
Reply 87
Absolutely not. If I wanted to help homeless people I would donate to a charity.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Damn, you must have a really big heart, but it is hard for me because it is not my duty

True, we're not obligated to give anything to the homeless
no i wouldn't as you don't know them and who are you to judge whether they're telling the truth and you're not reponsible for whether they get fed
No one has a legal responsibility to feed the homeless.
In the town I live in, we have a lot of homeless people. I know who isn't genuine, who does it for drugs/alcohol, and those who have a roof over their heads. There are those among them who prefer the lifestyle - no responsibilities.
For any type of paid work, you will need an address otherwise it's illegal

Hostel's address?
Hostel's address?

I thought we were talking about homeless people living on the streets..
Reply 93
Yeah i would

But once there was a homeless dude living in a shopping trolley outside a big store with his laundry bag of clothes. I went in to get food and saw him so I was like I'll get him something too but when I went out to give it to him he rejected me.... bare r00d. Oh well more for me xP poor guy.

But yeah I do help... I just don't have it in me to turn them away so I always give spare change if I have it. If they use it for drugs whatever... at least I gave them an option.
I thought we were talking about homeless people living on the streets..

You can live on the street and still sleep in a hostel...
i'd buy breakfast rather than give money. but the problem is that I and many other people dont trust people who make out to be homeless or poor as whenever im in london i see the same women (each has a different spot to beg at) with flowers and a photo selling flowers but then i see them all together laughing and tbh they dont look poor...
Original post by RibbonTide
No.
I would buy him a loaf of bread so he wont stay hungry for the rest of the week.

True genius

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me it would depend on the context, but I think time would be the most important factor. If I had the extra 2-3 minutes on my way to the shop during lunch break I'd probably get this person something if I believed them to be needy. In London, you get into these situations on the regular basis, even in the City. I remember buying a hamburger once for an alcoholic in France, but I was in a very good, joyous mood.
You can live on the street and still sleep in a hostel...

I'm talking about people who only live on the streets.
Original post by InvestmentBankin
For me it would depend on the context, but I think time would be the most important factor. If I had the extra 2-3 minutes on my way to the shop during lunch break I'd probably get this person something if I believed them to be needy. In London, you get into these situations on the regular basis, even in the City. I remember buying a hamburger once for an alcoholic in France, but I was in a very good, joyous mood.

And I thought most investment bankers were cold and calculated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending