The Student Room Group

Why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sapphire321
Yes but why is that? It's gender conditioning which makes less and less girls choose science and maths subjects the further in education you go. From GCSE to A Level to University the number of girls and women taking STEM subjects keeps on decreasing.

yes its a social problem that is why differences have been observed on really young children months old and i have heard of one study using even younger children
Original post by ali-g12
oh dear, standard femminist arguments alert!

ie. 'wage gap'; 'glass ceiling'; 'rape culture'; 'lad culture'; etc. the bargain basement arguments.
In fact I can do one better than you: 'cat-calling' and how it "happens like all the time".

Stop feeding your victim complex and grow up.

Firstly, if you're going to be quite so rude then at least learn how to spell. If, when you say standard arguments you mean true, factual and accurate arguments then I agree. There is still a wage gap. That is a fact. There are more men in higher level/more highly paid jobs. "Lad culture" and "rape culture" do exist especially at universities. The NUS conducted research and had a conference on it. I have never experienced "cat calling" myself but I don't doubt that it does happen. When wanting gender equality gets people saying you must have a "victim complex" there is a serious problem. It's you who needs to "grow up".
Firstly, if you're going to be quite so rude then at least learn how to spell.

I guess that explains why you're not getting work, criticising correct spelling for being incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice, assume that she's unemployed and that's the reason she's a feminist. Grow up, have some empathy.
Original post by perspectives
Nice, assume that she's unemployed and that's the reason she's a feminist. Grow up, have some empathy.

I don't do empathy, especially for people with unfounded victim complexes, or is the ONS and every other reputable group that does analyses on the the grievances of OP part of the patriarchal conspiracy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what we have learnt from this discussion is that a bunch of men have grouped together and agreed girls aren't good at STEM subjects. Nice.

What about media? Girls are encouraged to do that sort of subject such as drama and yet gender inequality in the media, on tv etc is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
I don't do empathy, especially for people with unfounded victim complexes, or is the ONS and every other reputable group that does analyses on the the grievances of OP part of the patriarchal conspiracy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't have victim complexes, in fact most of OP stories were not about her- meaning she's not making herself a victim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Men and women are very different in their general strengths and weaknesses. Thus equality of outcome shouldn't result from equality of opportunity, which we have, for the most part.
So what we have learnt from this discussion is that a bunch of men have grouped together and agreed girls aren't good at STEM subjects. Nice. Yes, through actual investigation and studies of the genders' general strengths and weaknesses. And it's not just men. Women who carry out the same studies will find similar results. It's not simply, "a bunch of men" deciding they want to make STEM a boys club. Do your research.

What about media? Girls are encouraged to do that sort of subject such as drama and yet gender inequality in the media, on tv etc is ridiculous.

Citation needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
See above.
Come on guys, it's [CURRENT YEAR]!
Original post by ali-g12
nice to see the 'advocate of equal rights' is judging how well each of these candidates will perform as pm based on their gender. How about judging them on the merits and weaknesses of their proposed legislation, experience and characters?

Why should it be great to have a pm just because they're a woman? It makes literally no sense.

That is not what I meant and you know it. All that I meant was that in terms of gender representation throughout history it is good that we will getting the second female Prime Minister of the UK i.e. that there was NO positive or negative discrimination in that case due to their gender. However, I am in no way judging how well they will actually perform as PM based on their gender; that would be ridiculous. To answer your question, yes, I agree that that is what they should be judged on and that is exactly what I always have done in the past and will continue to do. I meant that it is great that there was no gender discrimination that prevented that from happening if I have to spell it out for you.
Reply 31
Firstly, if you're going to be quite so rude then at least learn how to spell. If, when you say standard arguments you mean true, factual and accurate arguments then I agree. There is still a wage gap. That is a fact. There are more men in higher level/more highly paid jobs. "Lad culture" and "rape culture" do exist especially at universities. The NUS conducted research and had a conference on it. I have never experienced "cat calling" myself but I don't doubt that it does happen. When wanting gender equality gets people saying you must have a "victim complex" there is a serious problem. It's you who needs to "grow up".

There is no rape culture in the west and definitely not at universities the american study you are talking about has been debunked multiple times including the authors of it.

Its so nice of you to mention the problems affecting men like suicide, child custody and the sentencing gap between men and women
Original post by The Good Doctor
See above.

I was just saying the STEM subject thing was not the point that OP was making so why was that turned into the discussion?
Anyway, I'm good at science. So are most of my female friends. Most of them are continuing the study of one or more science.
More girls are doing maths A level than boys in my year, even though there are more boys in total. I know this doesn't reverse the research and studies into this sort of thing, but surely my school is not the only institution where girls are pretty much the same as boys at STEM subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The difference between the lumped average yearly earnings between men and women has been labelled "the wage gap". Instead of jumping to "sexism" as the answer, consider that women work fewer hours, take longer holidays, have generally different and more family orientated priorities in life and generally display less interest and aptitude for the 'TEM' areas of STEM. There are other reasons too if you research them. If you control for all of these factors, the so-called wage-gap narrows to a point below conventional error margins.And as for this so-called "lad culture". What exactly is it? How do you define it? How exactly is it detrimental to womens' rights? Also, bear in mind that statistically, women are less likely to experience sexual harassment at college/uni than a non-college/uni educated woman. I hope you don't believe this "1 in 5/4/3" figure that's constantly thrown around. I would like to add that the number keeps changing according to who is spouting the statistic. If it were true then universities would be suffering higher incidences of rape than the war-torn African congo where rape has been used as a weapon of war!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
That is not what I meant and you know it. All that I meant was that in terms of gender representation throughout history it is good that we will getting the second female Prime Minister of the UK i.e. that there was NO positive or negative discrimination in that case due to their gender. However, I am in no way judging how well they will actually perform as PM based on their gender; that would be ridiculous. To answer your question, yes, I agree that that is what they should be judged on and that is exactly what I always have done in the past and will continue to do. I meant that it is great that there was no gender discrimination that prevented that from happening if I have to spell it out for you.

Have you noticed that in this situation these women have managed to get to the top of their fields without any discrimination helping them there and not playing the gender card.
We don't have victim complexes, in fact most of OP stories were not about her- meaning she's not making herself a victim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have victim complexes, you just blame the system rather than yourselves when things don't go right even when all the evidence goes against you. Is the ONS etc part of the patriarchal conspiracy or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think women don't get into very high positions because eventually they will have kids (more than one probably) which takes many years of their lives, so they can't build their career.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I guess that explains why you're not getting work, criticising correct spelling for being incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is incorrect. The correct spelling is "feminist" not "femminist". And who says I'm not getting work?
Firstly, the idea that there is a sexist wage gap is a complete myth and has been disproved countless times by feminist economists - no one takes it seriously.
Secondly, we do not live in a 'rape culture'. Men who rape are sent to prison, and can even lose their jobs for making rape jokes. Society does not encourage rape in any way at all.
Thirdly, feminism does very little for actual inequality that exists. Third wave feminists complain about words like bossy and against 'sexist' video games, yet do very little to help women who actually are oppressed, such as in the middle east.
Fourth, if modern day feminism was really about equality we would see them complaining about male issues as well, such as the hifh suicide rate, and the lack of support for domestic violence victims.
And finally, most crucially, WOMEN ALREADY HAVE EQUALITY!!
Original post by AlwaysAnxious
Firstly, the idea that there is a sexist wage gap is a complete myth and has been disproved countless times by feminist economists - no one takes it seriously.
Secondly, we do not live in a 'rape culture'. Men who rape are sent to prison, and can even lose their jobs for making rape jokes. Society does not encourage rape in any way at all.
Thirdly, feminism does very little for actual inequality that exists. Third wave feminists complain about words like bossy and against 'sexist' video games, yet do very little to help women who actually are oppressed, such as in the middle east.
Fourth, if modern day feminism was really about equality we would see them complaining about male issues as well, such as the hifh suicide rate, and the lack of support for domestic violence victims.
And finally, most crucially, WOMEN ALREADY HAVE EQUALITY!!

Real feminists do care about men's issues, unfortunately a lot of them don't which makes feminists appear selfish. Personally I think feminism should address issues for both gender and if it does not then, it is not achieving gender equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending