The Student Room Group

Why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by perspectives
Real feminists do care about men's issues, unfortunately a lot of them don't which makes feminists appear selfish. Personally I think feminism should address issues for both gender and if it does not then, it is not achieving gender equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, the "no true scotsman" fallacy. If you look at any dictionary definition of feminism, you will see that it is the advocacy of womens' rights on the grounds of equality with men. In other words, it assumes women lack some of the rights of men, that they are worse off. Nothing about the definition concerns itself with advancing mens' rights. Also, consider the name: "feminism".
cucks
Reply 42
Original post by Sapphire321
I am a 21 year old woman and I would describe myself as a feminist going by the actual definition of feminism which is: the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes. I am a feminist because I believe that men and women should be equal in society and that neither men nor women should be forced to conform to traditional gender roles NOT because I think that women should be superior to or have more privileges or better rights than men or because I think all men are sexist. I would also say, before people stereotype me, that I am straight, I do not hate men, I do take care of my appearance and I am not in any way the type of radical, extreme feminist that so many people now seem to think that all women who want equal rights are.

Anyway, to get to why I started this thread, I used to believe that men and women were fairly equal in modern society in the UK. However, as I’ve got older I’ve realised more and more that this is just not the case. In the workplace, there is still a 9.4% pay gap on average between men and women for full-time employment and when part-time employment is also included the gap extends to 19.2%. In the private sector specifically the pay gap for even for full-time employees was 17.2%! The TUC analysis of the ONS statistics showed that looking at the highest earners that gap widens even more reaching 54.9% for the top 2% of earners. The “glass ceiling” is even now nowhere near broken. There are many more men than women in top level jobs in politics, law, science, technology, engineering, academia, business… Just looking at politics alone, there is currently a lot in the media about how the next Prime Minister now has to be either Theresa May or Andrea Leadsom therefore it has to be (how shocking!) a woman. I know it’s only the second time in history so that’s a point of interest and it’s obviously great that we are going to have another female Prime Minister but it still shouldn’t be portrayed by the media as such a novel and unusual idea. Even after the 2015 General Election, only 29% of MPs and a third of cabinet ministers are women. Women in politics seem to be judged by the media and society in general as much for how they look as for their policies and often face sexism from both the media and male colleagues. So, if we can’t get proper gender equality in politics which is both very public and obviously instrumental in trying to create equal rights then what hope is there for other professions.

It’s not just in the workplace that women aren’t treated equally either. Everyday sexism is present in schools, universities and in wider society. Worryingly, there is evidence that our generation, if anything, is getting worse. The rise of “Lad Culture” and “Rape Culture” which are particularly prevalent at universities is becoming a serious problem. Women are routinely objectified. Some men (I am definitely not saying all men) and even some women make sexist jokes and comments on a regular basis including joking about rape. Sexist posts and memes (again including jokes about rape) are often shared on social media… Why is it still seen as acceptable to joke that women should “get back to the kitchen” or worse?

As I said, I used to believe that men and women were now equal in the UK when I was still at school but scarily, knowing what I know now looking back on things that happened when I was at school, sexism was obvious there too. I had one male teacher in sixth form who used to patronisingly call all the girls “young lady” but never the boys “young man”. I had a female teacher who said women who worked and had children were irresponsible because they couldn’t be fully committed to their careers. Boys in my class joked that “all women should be prostitutes” but “*name of girl* wouldn’t get any customers”. In my year, boys and even occasionally girls made jokes that were either sexist or involved rape or both. Also, seeing some of the threads on TSR where (some) guys make sexist and misogynistic comments and then call girls “feminazis” if they dispute what’s been said makes me think that sexism certainly hasn’t gone, it hasn’t even decreased by all that much in some ways, it has just adapted into a modern version.

So, why is it that in 2016 women are still not treated as equal to men? And why do people say that feminism is now irrelevant when there is still so much inequality? In a country where women got the vote almost a century ago shouldn’t we have better equality in modern society than this?

I cannot be bothered to read all of this but I will make two points about stuff in the first part:

Firstly, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that there is a pay-gap in the workplace that is the result of sexist discrimination and would be intrigued to see your evidence for this conclusion. What you provide demonstrates that men earn more than women but does not demonstrate that this is because of sexist discrimination.

Secondly, there are fewer women in top jobs because fewer women want them. Politics is a good example. Women are not discriminated against in Parliament. There are simply fewer women who put themselves forward. All-women's shortlists were introduced to force a higher number of women into politics by excluding half of the population from standing on party tickets in certain constituencies on the grounds of their gender, which does not sound like gender equality to me. The results of this are firstly that women are treated like children who cannot make it on their own, which does not help female self-image, and secondly that any underlying problem you identify with fewer women wanting to be in politics is masked by an artificially engineered result which prevents any fundamental change.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by perspectives
Real feminists do care about men's issues, unfortunately a lot of them don't which makes feminists appear selfish. Personally I think feminism should address issues for both gender and if it does not then, it is not achieving gender equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd love to agree with you. But feminism is a political movement and like all movements we must judge its actions and it has proven to be divisive and hateful, which is why many people are against it
Reply 44
hard work = results.

If there's a pay gap, perhaps rather than complain about it, why not work harder so that the pay gap becomes nonexistent so that future generations won't have to experience it? If there's a culture that 'men can do better than women' why not continuously prove otherwise?
Original post by MildredMalone
It's because of the same reason males are better at chess. In IQ tests, women often get average-ish results, while men get the highs and the lows. Skills associated with higher IQs (when judged by the tests) are the same skills that are used in maths and science, and chess!

I have a high IQ, 154, and am a member of mensa. I have little interest in maths or science, and am more interested in subjects like politics and sociology. So your argument is kind of invalid.
Reply 46
Original post by epage
I have a high IQ, 154, and am a member of mensa. I have little interest in maths or science, and am more interested in subjects like politics and sociology. So your argument is kind of invalid.

Except that he is talking about in general there are exceptions but men tend to be at the extremes and women in the middle.
Original post by cipi
I think it's nature but more 'natural interest' rather than natural ability. But that's just based on observations. You stick a woman at a desk for 8 hours a day in a non-social setting, and she will hate it. For a man, as long as the work is intellectually stimulating, he can enjoy it.

I would love being in a non-social setting, with intellectually stimulating work. No one is born with natural ability to do maths or science. Boys are more encouraged to do such subjects, whereas girls are not.
Oh dear, a typical feminist who got all her info from tumblr and buzzfeed. The only real gender discrimination that happens in the world today are in third world countries. Wage gap, glass ceiling, rape culture, etc. have already been debunked one million times already. Get with it.
Original post by Noodle0
Yes you're right, why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016? After all women's cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's. 77% of homicide victims are men. 80% of all suicides are men. Men loose custody in 84% of divorces. 60-80% of the homeless are men. Men make up 94% of work suicides. Just to name a few.

You should spend a week in Saudi Arabia and see what real gender discrimination is about. :smug:

Breast cancer research receives twice as much funding as prostate cancer research not 15 times if that is what you are referring to BUT I would like to say that yes I do care about that. That shouldn't happen either. Just because I care about women's issues doesn't mean that I don't care about men's. I believe in gender equality aka equality for both men and women. Similarly, I agree that more work needs to be done to stop all crimes including homicide and I agree that there should be more spent on mental health to prevent suicides. I also do believe that in divorce cases men are often treated unfairly. So, again I believe that women and men should be treated equally in divorce cases. And yes something definitely needs to be done to sort the housing crisis. As I said, supporting women's rights doesn't mean I don't support men's.

Secondly, on your point about Saudi Arabia, I obviously agree that gender discrimination there is far worse and more serious and more definitely needs to be done in other countries around the world. However, the point I was making in my original post was that you would think that with all the advances we've made and all the legislation that is in place in the UK we would be further forward than we in fact are. Just because there is a bigger problem to be solved somewhere else doesn't mean we should only work on that and ignore the situation in the UK. We should do both.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
I am a 21 year old woman and I would describe myself as a feminist going by the actual definition of feminism which is: the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes. I am a feminist because I believe that men and women should be equal in society and that neither men nor women should be forced to conform to traditional gender roles NOT because I think that women should be superior to or have more privileges or better rights than men or because I think all men are sexist. I would also say, before people stereotype me, that I am straight, I do not hate men, I do take care of my appearance and I am not in any way the type of radical, extreme feminist that so many people now seem to think that all women who want equal rights are.

Anyway, to get to why I started this thread, I used to believe that men and women were fairly equal in modern society in the UK. However, as I’ve got older I’ve realised more and more that this is just not the case. In the workplace, there is still a 9.4% pay gap on average between men and women for full-time employment and when part-time employment is also included the gap extends to 19.2%. In the private sector specifically the pay gap for even for full-time employees was 17.2%! The TUC analysis of the ONS statistics showed that looking at the highest earners that gap widens even more reaching 54.9% for the top 2% of earners. The “glass ceiling” is even now nowhere near broken. There are many more men than women in top level jobs in politics, law, science, technology, engineering, academia, business… Just looking at politics alone, there is currently a lot in the media about how the next Prime Minister now has to be either Theresa May or Andrea Leadsom therefore it has to be (how shocking!) a woman. I know it’s only the second time in history so that’s a point of interest and it’s obviously great that we are going to have another female Prime Minister but it still shouldn’t be portrayed by the media as such a novel and unusual idea. Even after the 2015 General Election, only 29% of MPs and a third of cabinet ministers are women. Women in politics seem to be judged by the media and society in general as much for how they look as for their policies and often face sexism from both the media and male colleagues. So, if we can’t get proper gender equality in politics which is both very public and obviously instrumental in trying to create equal rights then what hope is there for other professions.

It’s not just in the workplace that women aren’t treated equally either. Everyday sexism is present in schools, universities and in wider society. Worryingly, there is evidence that our generation, if anything, is getting worse. The rise of “Lad Culture” and “Rape Culture” which are particularly prevalent at universities is becoming a serious problem. Women are routinely objectified. Some men (I am definitely not saying all men) and even some women make sexist jokes and comments on a regular basis including joking about rape. Sexist posts and memes (again including jokes about rape) are often shared on social media… Why is it still seen as acceptable to joke that women should “get back to the kitchen” or worse?

As I said, I used to believe that men and women were now equal in the UK when I was still at school but scarily, knowing what I know now looking back on things that happened when I was at school, sexism was obvious there too. I had one male teacher in sixth form who used to patronisingly call all the girls “young lady” but never the boys “young man”. I had a female teacher who said women who worked and had children were irresponsible because they couldn’t be fully committed to their careers. Boys in my class joked that “all women should be prostitutes” but “*name of girl* wouldn’t get any customers”. In my year, boys and even occasionally girls made jokes that were either sexist or involved rape or both. Also, seeing some of the threads on TSR where (some) guys make sexist and misogynistic comments and then call girls “feminazis” if they dispute what’s been said makes me think that sexism certainly hasn’t gone, it hasn’t even decreased by all that much in some ways, it has just adapted into a modern version.

So, why is it that in 2016 women are still not treated as equal to men? And why do people say that feminism is now irrelevant when there is still so much inequality? In a country where women got the vote almost a century ago shouldn’t we have better equality in modern society than this?

At least part of the reason is because you're trying to drag tradition centuries old out of culture and manipulate it for equality. Now whilst this is not in any way a bad thing it is definitely the wrong way to go about things. You need to understand this cannot be done over the course of a night. Every religion and countries culture has always had women marked as 'inferior' or not the main provider at least. Even if you decide to believe in the big bang or creationism etc. there is not denying that for at least 20 centuries every culture has been male dominated, and trying to change that with the idea of feminism which has endured in it's current state for less than half a century is going to be ineffective. You will just have to sit it out, but having said that we're looking towards our second female prime minister, and the strong likely hood of a female president in the US so there us an evident changing in the way the world is looking at women especially here in the West. B

But in response to your question women are still not equal in the 21st century because feminism is still a relatively new idea to the world, and it's trying to uproot culture dating back thousands of years, in fact we haven't even seen the centenary of women getting the vote! And due to this and many closet conservationist views, people are having to change slowly, your best hope is influence the younger generations before their parents get to them and slowly you can change the balance to be equal. But really until such a time you're just going to have to be patient if you're lucky you might see the gap almost non-existent by the year 2128 (About 2 centuries after women first got the vote).

You also have to acknowledge the fact that the face of feminism is marred by the extreme feminist (or feminazis) who support female superiority and as most feminists are put into the same category as feminazis or most people don't see the difference in the severity of their views, meaning feminism has a bad name for itself, similar to people blaming all Muslims for so called 'ISIS' etc. My point is you need to remove the most extreme feminists from the public eye and be more subtle, and with time and effort society can be equal.

Just for the definition the journalist who coined the phrase feminazi defined it as a woman who's main aim in life is to cause as many abortions as possible... in other words an extremist feminist.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Oh dear, a typical feminist who got all her info from tumblr and buzzfeed. The only real gender discrimination that happens in the world today are in third world countries. Wage gap, glass ceiling, rape culture, etc. have already been debunked one million times already. Get with it.

Don't be so ridiculously arrogant! As a matter of fact, I have virtually never been on tumblr or buzzfeed. Did you actually even read what I wrote? Is the office for national statistics on buzzfeed? I agree that it is much worse in other countries but that does not mean that it doesn't happen here. Debunked by who? Men on social media?

As long as you feminazis continue to defend Islam as a tolerant and peaceful religion there won't be equality girl.
Original post by cipi
Because women don't do the mathsy subjects. Take a look at any TEM (STEM minus the S) lecture hall in any uni. 90+% men, despite women being the dominant gender in higher education over all.

I did Maths (I am female) and the ratio of men to women for us was probably more like 60:40. Plenty of women there, all just as capable as the men, in fact the student who was top of the class was one of my female friends. This idea that women "don't do" mathsy subjects is complete nonsense.
What a brilliant and clever insight into the discussion... Also, given the definition of that as "a demasculated Millennial liberal male who often speaks of white privilege and modern feminism" then I would have to say since both myself and everyone else who supports women's rights on this thread are all female that is pretty inaccurate. If you look through the thread you will find most of the men here are very against women's rights.
Who cares if men get paid more, your still getting paid
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Manchester_123
As long as you feminazis continue to defend Islam as a tolerant and peaceful religion there won't be equality girl.

Oh shutup you brainwashed mug
Cuz *****es dont really want equality they just want to do what they want without any moral responsibility. They want to go on a 15 year drink, drug and cock binge and then become a first time mother at 42.
Ok so i will address the whole "lad culture" and rape joke stuff as the other points have already been covered well.

So yes I will agree lad culture is bad. But I am a firm believer that anything can be joked about and now while I would not go up to somone that has been raped and make a joke about it as that is being a bit of a ass I see no problem with someone making a joke of rape or abuse or anything really as long as they realize it is a joke, and the whole women belong in the kitchen it is something only people who are joking, "lads" or idiots say.
Original post by Manchester_123

I do not accept that I am a "feminazi" for believing in gender equality. That term is just completely wrong. How is it acceptable to compare women who believe in equal rights with the nazis? Attitudes like yours are part of the problem. Where exactly did I mention Islam? Or are you just desperate to rant about another of your prejudices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending