The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do women feel the need to show cleavage/legs in the workplace

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Joiner
Despite there being so much stigma around men looking at cleavage/legs, why do women still wear tops that are very low cut or skirts that show so much leg?

It's like imagine if a man came into the office wearing a vest and shorts because he wanted to show off his arms and his well built legs, that would be wholly inappropriate but for women it's completely okay.

Do they do it to gain power over men? In that they know that if the man is distracted by cleavage etc he might be easier to persuade/control?

I don't get it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or maybe because high neck blouses and full length trousers don't look as nice on some people, aren't their style, get really warm and can be really uncomfortable? Or maybe it's because women don't dress for work according to how the men around them feel about it because they have more important things, like work, to deal with.
Exactly, they should not and I am a female.
Yh, its not my fault if I stare too, Its in my human nature. I've got my rights!
Most of them just do it to show off their legs and boobs lmfao.
If you wear trousers to work you get called a lesbian or a prude etc. We just can't win with you people, can we?
Original post by Anonymous
Yh, its not my fault if I stare too, Its in my human nature. I've got my rights!

And that's why HR is a blessing
Any attention is better than no attention.
Original post by 1010marina
If you wear trousers to work you get called a lesbian or a prude etc. We just can't win with you people, can we?

Who gets called a lesbian or a prude? 😂
Original post by GradesUnlocked

I do at work by some customers
Where do you work, may I ask? I've never known a female to be called a lesbian or prude for covering up. Wow.

I did when I wore a long skirt to work by both staff and customers
Where do you work, may I ask? I've never known a female to be called a lesbian or prude for covering up. Wow.

I don't want to say on here but it's a pretty well known and big company
I see, that's very sad.
Damn women looking all purty n stuff. Surely some culture somewhere has invented a solution to this timeless issue, maybe covering women up? :creep:
I think the insecurity about appearance may be more of a reason than any other. It seems particular to the UK and US- you do not see the awful bad fashion and overdone make up hardly at all in France or Spain, for example. A few weeks ago there were four women leaving the office at the same time as me, two of whom were stylishly dressed and two not (overdone make-up, pale legs, cellulite visible)- the two stylishly dressed were French and Spanish.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Damn women looking all purty n stuff. Surely some culture somewhere has invented a solution to this timeless issue, maybe covering women up? :creep:

LOL. Nice one.
I see, that's very sad.

It is but usually the ones doing the calling are only revealing their underlying insecurities. Personally I don't care about being called a lesbian because I'm not a raging homophobe and I accept my somewhat masculine personality and I'm proud of it but I know some girls who freak out about wearing trousers which is quite sad
Why do you care?
If you work in a retail job, I'm not being funny but it's your duty to look reasonable, to take care of your appearance and not dress like a tramp. You are representing the brand, if I went into a shop and their customer assistants looked like tramps it would turn me off.

Latest

Trending

Trending