The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do women feel the need to show cleavage/legs in the workplace

Scroll to see replies

@ your first question, there is stigma because it's borderline objectification. while people are free to admire aesthetics of another person, it's in a workplace not a magazine in a teenage boy's bedroom. they continue to wear this because the least they expect of other people is not to ogle in a professional place. also because they want to.

if a man (or woman for that matter) thinks that a woman showing cleavage/legs is to gain power over them by distracting them, they're the unprofessional ones. it doesn't take much to break your gaze away from a pair of tits especially in a place where women seek respect
Original post by GradesUnlocked
Who gets called a lesbian or a prude? 😂

Speak to a woman that works in any sector that requires business dress and not a uniform:
If we wear clothing that is long or completely covers up, words like prude, manly, butch, lesbian, etc. get tossed around.
If you wear anything more revealing you get OP and the crew out: slut, provocative, not appropriate, show off.

It's very hard to find a middle ground because there's always someone complaining. With blokes, the work attire usually centres around actual appearance - there's always the debates about tie colour, shoe colour, trouser leg length, etc. With women people rarely actually make the comment about the clothing itself (unless, you know, it's women and we're talking about how green was so last season) and instead you get these words tossed around that actually cast aspersions about the character - slut, bossy, prude, etc.
Original post by Don Joiner
Despite there being so much stigma around men looking at cleavage/legs, why do women still wear tops that are very low cut or skirts that show so much leg?

It's like imagine if a man came into the office wearing a vest and shorts because he wanted to show off his arms and his well built legs, that would be wholly inappropriate but for women it's completely okay.

Do they do it to gain power over men? In that they know that if the man is distracted by cleavage etc he might be easier to persuade/control?

I don't get it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Legs are quite important.
Nothing stopping you wearing a skir and showing off your legs with complementary cleavage. You can use your power over women, then.

You have very odd views.
Because women like to look good and feel attractive.
Despite there being so much stigma around men looking at cleavage/legs, why do women still wear tops that are very low cut or skirts that show so much leg?

It's like imagine if a man came into the office wearing a vest and shorts because he wanted to show off his arms and his well built legs, that would be wholly inappropriate but for women it's completely okay.

Do they do it to gain power over men? In that they know that if the man is distracted by cleavage etc he might be easier to persuade/control?

I don't get it

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are some women who obviously dress for male attention in the office and this can be for a range of purposes. Sometimes it's to gain popularity, sometimes it's to keep a job under a male boss (no pun intended) if they feel that their ability will not be enough or that it just generally adds to how much their boss likes them on top of their abilities (no pun intended). Sometimes, very often I think it's because women are bored in menial office jobs and dressing up makes it a bit more bearable. I'm referring to outfits that involve maybe an inappropriate amount of leg and cleavage. Just above the knee skirts are fine as long as they're smart, some women are busty and naturally have cleavage if they are wearing anything other that a roll neck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by vicky.m
@ your first question, there is stigma because it's borderline objectification. while people are free to admire aesthetics of another person, it's in a workplace not a magazine in a teenage boy's bedroom. they continue to wear this because the least they expect of other people is not to ogle in a professional place. also because they want to.

if a man (or woman for that matter) thinks that a woman showing cleavage/legs is to gain power over them by distracting them, they're the unprofessional ones. it doesn't take much to break your gaze away from a pair of tits especially in a place where women seek respect

Surely if they wanted to avoid objectification (which is by definition an automatic, evolutionary response to get males to reproduce) they could cover up, not even to the same standard as men but closer to it

If you use the argument "oh but women have the right to feel attractive in what they're wearing" I dispute that because does this mean men have the right to wear tank tops and tight clothes to accentuate their muscles? Of course not.

There seems to be so much pressure to let women wear whatever they want to feel attractive or sexy etc but why does this not exist for men?

A suit worn by a man is one of the least revealing garments available yet it is the most common in the workplace.

Are you really saying it's fair that women in the office wear a knee length skirt and a sleeveless top while a man wears ankle length trousers and full sleeves?

The double standard is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Because women like to look good and feel attractive.

So do men, but men get by with only showing their hands and face

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please have some consideration for pigs. To compare them with some of the people in this country who do not wash every day and have no sense of style in the way they dress is unreasonable.
Surely if they wanted to avoid objectification (which is by definition an automatic, evolutionary response to get males to reproduce) they could cover up, not even to the same standard as men but closer to it

If you use the argument "oh but women have the right to feel attractive in what they're wearing" I dispute that because does this mean men have the right to wear tank tops and tight clothes to accentuate their muscles? Of course not.

There seems to be so much pressure to let women wear whatever they want to feel attractive or sexy etc but why does this not exist for men?

A suit worn by a man is one of the least revealing garments available yet it is the most common in the workplace.

Are you really saying it's fair that women in the office wear a knee length skirt and a sleeveless top while a man wears ankle length trousers and full sleeves?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Women in France are literally being fined for covering up on the beaches. If you can't contain yourself at the sight of a woman's shins and shoulders then you have a problem. There is no way we can win. We cover up, we get called names and looked down on. We wear what we like and we get called names and looked down on. Why shouldn't we wear what we like if we're going to get crap for it regardless?
Original post by vicky.m

People are free to wear what they want, and their freely made choice will be judged according to the norms of the situation they're in. It isn't only women that are expected to look professional in the workplace.

In response to the point about women being judged either way, I'd suggest that it's the customers who judge women for dressing 'prudishly' in the workplace that need to get a grip. Why you'd give a toss what an overt advocate of sexual objectification in the workplace thinks I don't know. You probably should care what your boss thinks, though.*
Reply 31
All I'm saying is if you display any feature that I as a heterosexual male deem attractive (e.g. Cleavage, legs) do not be surprised or moan if my eyes happen to glance down for a split second or two. Believe it or not we genuinely can't help it. Staring would admittedly be crossing a line though.
Reply 32
Hoes
Yeah, you're not going going to get very far in the corporate world if a pair of t*ts distract you. Jesus Christ, grow the f**k up.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Yeah, you're not going going to get very far in the corporate world if a pair of t*ts distract you. Jesus Christ, grow the f**k up.

You're right, of course. No male manager has objectified women in the workplace, ever. It's just not a thing.*
Original post by TurboCretin
You're right, of course. No male manager has objectified women in the workplace, ever. It's just not a thing.*

Not saying that. :smile:
I personally like modesty and don't tend to reveal cleavage just because i don't feel comfortable, but I like wearing both skirts and trousers. And I do prefer female colleges who can look nice even when not showing excessive amounts of cleavage in a professional environment etc. It's just how I am and it's not to oppress anyone

But surely OP, you do realise this is 2016 and not many people think like you do anymore??? Plus women can do what they want??? So???? GURL BYE!
Original post by Anonymous
I personally like modesty and don't tend to reveal cleavage just because i don't feel comfortable, but I like wearing both skirts and trousers. And I do prefer female colleges who can look nice even when not showing excessive amounts of cleavage in a professional environment etc. It's just how I am and it's not to oppress anyone

But surely OP, you do realise this is 2016 and not many people think like you do anymore??? Plus women can do what they want??? So???? GURL BYE!

Colleagues******* too busy being PASSIONATE! :rofl3:

Posted from TSR Mobile

in most cases they aren't "trying to look sexy" in uniform... that just eliminates any room others have for argument. if you assume they're trying to look sexy then you're setting objectification as the norm.

i don't argue with the evolutionary response argument, but women shouldn't feel the need to cover up just because men can't control their dicks in a place that's meant to be professional.

i can't answer the question as to why men wear full suits. that just seems to happen. with this argument, we're also excluding the millions of women that also wear suits. with this regarded, the women wearing skirts with cleavage showing just don't want to wear suits, which is exactly what you're arguing for.

taking your anger out on women wearing the stuff men want to wear in the workplace doesn't change anything and nobody can answer why this happens. i'm just opposing the general tone of the OP which is making this out to be womens' fault
Why don't you low life, pathetic, misogynistic men mind your own business?
I doubt any women shows some skin to impress you lol, so supress that ego x

Latest

Trending

Trending