The Student Room Group

Doubts about studying in the UK

Hello to everyone

I'm a Spanish student who is considering studying in the UK, especially in London. I'm interested in studying a Master of Science of Immunology which is offered by Imperial College. However, I have a lot of questions about this issue

Firstly, one of the campus is at Hammersmith, so Is it a good place to live? Are there any areas of Hammersmith (and London too) that I should avoid?

What's more, I would like to know what is the best way to fit in well with the British society. I guess that the British and Spanish people have the same controversial issues, but, Is there something else which I shouldn't talk about?

Thank you so much for reading!!
Reply 1
I don't live there, but Hammersmith is generally safe from what I've heard and has good transport links so yeah I'd say it's a good place to live. By areas you should avoid do you mean unsafe areas? Tbh London is mostly alright. Harlesden is pretty bad don't go there, wouldn't recommend going to Camden, Kings Cross or Westminster alone at night but they're amazing places to go during the day time.

Basically most of London is fine in the day time, there are bad and good areas in every borough. I'd avoid school kids - you'll be able to distinguish them because they all wear uniforms - and roadmen (pic below)

Spoiler

Nah we learn Spanish in school, go to Spain on PGL trips, and have native Spanish teachers so British people will more than likely be very excited to hear you speak Spanish and ask you to say things in it lol. London especially is very multicultural so I wouldn't worry about anything in that sense. You'll be quick to make friends, in Imperial the majority of students aren't even from the UK so don't worry about being 'foreign'.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by z33
I don't live there, but Hammersmith is generally safe from what I've heard and has good transport links so yeah I'd say it's a good place to live. By areas you should avoid do you mean unsafe areas? Tbh London is mostly alright. Harlesden is pretty bad don't go there, wouldn't recommend going to Camden, Kings Cross or Westminster alone at night but they're amazing places to go during the day time.

Basically most of London is fine in the day time, there are bad and good areas in every borough. I'd avoid school kids - you'll be able to distinguish them because they all wear uniforms - and roadmen (pic below)

Spoiler

Nah we learn Spanish in school, go to Spain on PGL trips, and have native Spanish teachers so British people will more than likely be very excited to hear you speak Spanish and ask you to say things in it lol. London especially is very multicultural so I wouldn't worry about anything in that sense. You'll be quick to make friends, in Imperial the majority of students aren't even from the UK so don't worry about being 'foreign'.

Thank you so much for your answer!!. It's a great pleasure to read all this information and I'm laughing very hard at the picture hahahahaha.
hmmmm.....Hammersmith is a relatively affluent part of London. Its in central London. its HUGE and it can be very very busy. It neighbours Kensington one of the wealthiest boroughs in the UK.

There are bad parts and good parts in Hammersmith. I visited a friend that lives close to Hammersmith tube station not long ago and I got stopped and offered drugs three or four times in the space of ten minutes...lol....but don't let that put you off. Overall, its a relatively safe part of London. Hammersmith is very diverse. You'll find a lot of people from many different parts of the world living and working there. Not many Spaniards though. There aren't many Spanish here in the UK.

Public transport is very very easy to use and very very fast and relatively clean but it can be crowded and expensive. Busses and trains are very frequent and very timely...Shopping is easy. Lots of shops for everything you could possibly need or want at any time of the day. Lots of stores stay open 24/7/365. Tons of eateries offering all kinds of food. Life is a bit expensive in London but you get what you pay for. Public services; doctors, hospitals, emergency services are very good. Rent is very expensive. Very very very very very very expensive and people generally speaking are not very social and rude but this sort of behaviour is the norm for any major city, i think.

'Best way to fit in well with the British society'? ....

- No matter what you do be confident and don't be shy
- Sports!! Football is kind of big here!
- Learn the ukulele!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by z33

Spoiler

I'm curious to know, why should the kids be avoided?
Reply 5
Original post by CookieButter
hmmmm.....Hammersmith is a relatively affluent part of London. Its in central London. its HUGE and it can be very very busy. It neighbours Kensington one of the wealthiest boroughs in the UK.

There are bad parts and good parts in Hammersmith. I visited a friend that lives close to Hammersmith tube station not long ago and I got stopped and offered drugs three or four times in the space of ten minutes...lol....but don't let that put you off. Overall, its a relatively safe part of London. Hammersmith is very diverse. You'll find a lot of people from many different parts of the world living and working there. Not many Spaniards though. There aren't many Spanish here in the UK.

Public transport is very very easy to use and very very fast and relatively clean but it can be crowded and expensive. Busses and trains are very frequent and very timely...Shopping is easy. Lots of shops for everything you could possibly need or want at any time of the day. Lots of stores stay open 24/7/365. Tons of eateries offering all kinds of food. Life is a bit expensive in London but you get what you pay for. Public services; doctors, hospitals, emergency services are very good. Rent is very expensive. Very very very very very very expensive and people generally speaking are not very social and rude but this sort of behaviour is the norm for any major city, i think.

'Best way to fit in well with the British society'? ....

- No matter what you do be confident and don't be shy
- Sports!! Football is kind of big here!
- Learn the ukulele!

Thank you so much!!
Reply 6
Original post by SDK99
I'm curious to know, why should the kids be avoided?

They cause a lot of trouble especially when there's a large group of them. Getting on a bus that just passed by a high school at 3:20pm is the worst thing you could do. I got hit in the face with a basketball several times because they thought throwing **** around was funny :colonhash:

They're also very loud, in groups they tend to easily pick fights with strangers if you accidentally brush against them and don't apologise and they think it's funny to make scenes and bother passer bys by calling out things at them and then giggling etc. It's not the most horrible thing in the world but it's also not something you wanna deal with.

Not all of them though, there's plenty of school kids that are sweet and quiet and just hang around with their friends cracking jokes and having fun as a kid should do (usually the pre-teens or older college kids), but there's also too many that are out of control.

Best be safe and stay away haha.
You won't be able to afford anything to eat or a place to live in London lmao.

Unless you're filthy rich. Then go ahead.
Reply 8
Original post by ChickenMadness

LOL, I hope not to slip walking down the golden streets. Just kidding. I realise that London is an expensive place to live but not unaffordable
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness

If you can afford 30k pounds a year in tuition fees you can afford to live in London.

I wouldn't let money put you off Alextox. Like I said, you get what you pay for in london. Having a masters degree from Imperial is worth every penny. Trust me it makes a HUUUGEEE difference when you graduate.

P.S. London with all its flaws is AMAZING!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by CookieButter
If you can afford 30k pounds a year in tuition fees you can afford to live in London.

I wouldn't let money put you off Alextox. Like I said, you get what you pay for in london. Having a masters degree from Imperial is worth every penny. Trust me it makes a HUUUGEEE difference when you graduate.

P.S. London with all its flaws is AMAZING!!!

Thank so much for your answer, It's very encouraging
Original post by Alextox
Your answer doesn't help. By the way, the British people are European. So It doesn't make sense the setence "too many europeans here". Also the term "ethnically cleansed" is quite nasty

We dont owe you ***** an education or a living. We only have obligations to our colonies which were looted. London is already a lost cause but a moratorium on all EU migration immediately would save some of the other cities from the anglo genocide.
lol @ "avoiding school kids in Hammersmith".

Yeh, those St Pauls girls can be really rowdy. You might get knocked out by a stray lacrosse stick, or they could think you're laughing at their rehearsal of Antigone and start trouble with you.
Reply 13
Original post by GlobalGayAgenda
We dont owe you ***** an education or a living. We only have obligations to our colonies which were looted. London is already a lost cause but a moratorium on all EU migration immediately would save some of the other cities from the anglo genocide.

I don't want to be paid without reason. I will go to the UK in order to work as a scientist. I am not an invader

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending