The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are people rude to quiet people?

I've seen this pattern that goes on within the schools and even workplace. The quiet/shy people are treated like crap. Treated like they're darthvader. Even, the teachers sometimes like to join in with it and make a students shyness into a huge issue. I get that participating in discussions is important but if you just ask the shy/quiet person what they think, they will answer. But, they won't put their hand up to answer. Anyway, why don't people give shy people a chance? It takes some people quite a while to show even just a little bit of comfort. Whether it takes years or not. And the most annoying thing is when people say "oh so you talk" "I've never heard you speak", that's mostly likely going to make me not speak again. People think we're grumpy or rude but we're really not. I've seen that teachers are more rude to the quiet bullied kids. Idek. btw, SOME people. Not all.

Scroll to see replies

I agree with you 100%.
I don't see this a huge amount
Original post by Naveed-7
I agree with you 100%.

Thank you, I appreciate it. People need to stop assuming and more getting to know the person! :smile:
Original post by knightchildish
I don't see this a huge amount

I'm sorry, what?
Reply 5
Original post by emerald7770
I've seen this pattern that goes on within the schools and even workplace. The quiet/shy people are treated like crap. Treated like they're darthvader. Even, the teachers sometimes like to join in with it and make a students shyness into a huge issue. I get that participating in discussions is important but if you just ask the shy/quiet person what they think, they will answer. But, they won't put their hand up to answer. Anyway, why don't people give shy people a chance? It takes some people quite a while to show even just a little bit of comfort. Whether it takes years or not. And the most annoying thing is when people say "oh so you talk" "I've never heard you speak", that's mostly likely going to make me not speak again. People think we're grumpy or rude but we're really not. I've seen that teachers are more rude to the quiet bullied kids. Idek. btw, SOME people. Not all.

I agree. I'm quiet and the amount of times I've heard the ''Oh you talk!'' lines ugh....:rolleyes:
I'm sorry, what?

I'm sorry for being unclear. I just don't ever see quiet people being bullied in my college at least. They're often left alone to their own and most people are nice enough to defend them.

Idk why this happens, people are just sad.
Original post by etudiebee
I agree. I'm quiet and the amount of times I've heard the ''Oh you talk!'' lines ugh....:rolleyes:

Yep, relatable. And when you actually have the confidence to speak up, there's those certain immature ones who chuckle at the back. Like ????? Why
Original post by knightchildish
I'm sorry for being unclear. I just don't ever see quiet people being bullied in my college at least. They're often left alone to their own and most people are nice enough to defend them.

Idk why this happens, people are just sad.

That's okay ! :smile:
And oh really? I don't know what magical college you go to, lol. But uhm, yeah I agree. It's quite sad. It's just common decency to have respect towards people.
I know what you mean. And when people do that patronising talk like "Hey quiet one" "Do you ever speak?" It just pisses me of so much.
Reply 10
Yep, relatable. And when you actually have the confidence to speak up, there's those certain immature ones who chuckle at the back. Like ????? Why

Oh gosh that's so immature :frown:

Don't ever let other people make you feel ashamed/embarrassed just because you're not as loud as others. It's just part of who you are and there's nothing wrong with that :smile:
Being quiet makes someone look weak and a easy target as the abuser knows the quiet person isn't likely to stand up to them.

The thing that does annoy me, was like when I was sat uni, I preferred being quiet and chilling out more than drinking every night, so I wasn't invited to nights out, on the chances I asked people were like "wow, we didn't think someone like you would be interested"

They did let me come but they just assumed being quiet and wanting to chill out most of time meant I didn't ever want to party.
Original post by loveleest
I know what you mean. And when people do that patronising talk like "Hey quiet one" "Do you ever speak?" It just pisses me of so much.

Omg yes! Like, we have a name, don't be such a b****. They honestly treat us like we're aliens or something. Speak to us normally :/
they think they can take advantage
Original post by etudiebee
Oh gosh that's so immature :frown:

Don't ever let other people make you feel ashamed/embarrassed just because you're not as loud as others. It's just part of who you are and there's nothing wrong with that :smile:

It really is and aw thanks! You too :biggrin:
Original post by drbluebox
Being quiet makes someone look weak and a easy target as the abuser knows the quiet person isn't likely to stand up to them.

The thing that does annoy me, was like when I was sat uni, I preferred being quiet and chilling out more than drinking every night, so I wasn't invited to nights out, on the chances I asked people were like "wow, we didn't think someone like you would be interested"

They did let me come but they just assumed being quiet and wanting to chill out most of time meant I didn't ever want to party.

That is true. Ugh, that really is very irritating. That would only just change my mind about coming to the party. Yeah, we are human and we do like to enjoy ourselves from time to time.
Original post by Angry Bird
they think they can take advantage

I guess yes! They get satisfaction off it :/
I think a contributing factor is that shy people are easier to intimidate. If you lack in self confidence and have anxiety about speaking to others you aren't seen as such a desirable person. Whether it be that this issue is picked up on in the workplace or schools. Confronting the person and pointing out the issue only makes it worse. I think that a good way to improve anxiety is to put yourself in a situation out of your comfort zone. For example working behind a bar, whereby you are required to interact with people you don't know all the time. But most importantly I have developed a thick skin for people commenting on my low self confidence. I dont let it effect me, because after all we are all different. we cant all be drama queens! I know that when I get to know someone well I am no longer self concious and can be myself.
It's probably just a coincidence. I mean, there are nice and nasty people everywhere. Usually businesses that make a lot of dough are full of unpleasant types as it gets to their heads. Truly nice people should be nice all the time.
Original post by drbluebox

Not really. I'm very quiet but I'm also very aggressive so sometimes quiet people do stand up to bullies.

Latest

Trending

Trending