The Student Room Group

To those who want striking to be made illegal...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheGuyReturns
I can't think of one sector where a 50% loss overnight would be manageable.

Might be difficult to manage in the short term, but within 3 or 4 days you could have flown in workers from all over the world willing to do the work and for not nearly as much.
Original post by NI30241834
Might be difficult to manage in the short term, but within 3 or 4 days you could have flown in workers from all over the world willing to do the work and for not nearly as much.

Fair enough, employers are obviously also free to play hardball like the employees of course.

Making striking illegal is the most corporate-authoritarian thing I have ever heard of though.
Reply 22
Fair enough, employers are obviously also free to play hardball like the employees of course.

Making striking illegal is the most corporate-authoritarian thing I have ever heard of though.

I didn't say striking should be illegal though if some office workers or factory workers want to go on strike it's a different situation. If public sector workers like firefighters, train drivers, doctors, teachers etc go on strike it is completely unfair on all the people that depend on them to go about their daily lives. Public sector strikes are simply extortion of common people.
"That" is literally what striking is. Again, if they walk out without quitting?

Nice try with the "argumentum ad passiones"

Are you aware of the meaning of argumentum ad passiones? It means appealing to one's emotions mainly without the use of factual evidence. The entire post is factual evidence.

Agree to disagree :bebored:
Original post by epsilondelta
Are you aware of the meaning of argumentum ad passiones? It means appealing to one's emotions mainly without the use of factual evidence. The entire post is factual evidence.

Agree to disagree :bebored:

It was an appeal to emotion with irrelevant facts...

Again, if they walk out without quitting?
And if they walk out without quitting?

They get fired.

Tough ****. Live in the real world.
Do your job: get paid.
Don't do your job: don't have a job.

It's not a complicated concept.
And if they walk out without quitting? Right wing nut jobs saying these people should be prosecuted essentially.

Try and stick to the point here without making this a partisan issue.

If a contract is breached, by either party, then the consequences will need to be imposed. If an employee is unhappy with his or her working conditions, then they can quit.
Original post by Drewski
They get fired.

What exactly do you plan to do when 50% walk out on you? Strikes generally don't consist of just one person walking out.
Original post by NI30241834
I didn't say striking should be illegal though if some office workers or factory workers want to go on strike it's a different situation. If public sector workers like firefighters, train drivers, doctors, teachers etc go on strike it is completely unfair on all the people that depend on them to go about their daily lives. Public sector strikes are simply extortion of common people.

Nope. Extortion of the common people are the employers who force people work for long hours, near non-existent pay, and unsafe conditions.
What exactly do you plan to do when 50% walk out on you? Strikes generally don't consist of just one person walking out.

Any workplace worth its salt has contingency plans that can see them through a day or two of hardship. After that, it very much depends on the business.

But I note you haven't even acknowledged my first question to you, so I'll repeat it:

Original post by Drewski
And there are already public sector roles in this country where it is illegal to strike. Why aren't you complaining about that?
That's not walking out on your employer, that's keeping them hostage. If you want to walk out, resign.
Just walking out on your employer does not constitute a strike or industrial action and you will alreadalready face repercussions if you do that.
Personally, I'd vastly expand strike legality. In the private sector, I'd make it pretty much anything goes. Set a sufficient time period or defined process for a union to declare a strike, and as long as that it met any card-carrying member of said union would be permitted to strike if they so wish. No time limits.
Original post by Drewski
They get fired.

You could say just the same if the situation were completely reversed, e.g.
Tough ****. Employers should just learn to cope with strikes.
Meet your workers' demands: they work.
Don't meet their demands: no work gets done.
Reply 34
Original post by epsilondelta
That just doesn't exist. I am truly amazed they still behave in the brattish way that they do, given the degree of overpay that they receive. As I posted on another thread:

Train drivers are paid just under £50,000 per year.
A junior doctor does 3-4 years at medical school unpaid, does an F1 year on £26,350, F2 year on £30,500, starts after that on a salary of £36,100 and over a few years progresses to £47,750. After a few more years it might increase up to £70k.
Teachers do 4 years at university unpaid, then are paid 22-28k as a newly qualified teacher depending on where they live (inner, mid- or outer london). A tube driver earns more than some headteachers.
The average soldier earns 27.5k and a Captain (!) earns 42k
The average nurse earns just over £23k per year

I mean...really. There are some strikes such as the doctor's strikes that I wholeheartedly support, but TfL unions are so far removed from reality it's painful.

Even 23k is a lot...
Original post by Drewski

And there are already public sector* roles in this country where it is, in effect, illegal to strike. Why aren't you complaining about that?

I do complain about that.
Original post by anarchism101
You could say just the same if the situation were completely reversed, e.g.
Tough ****. Employers should just learn to cope with strikes.
Meet your workers' demands: they work.
Don't meet their demands: no work gets done.

Nice little dream, but you'll forgive me if I don't take seriously the ideas on work reform that come from someone called "anarchism"...
Original post by Drewski
Nice little dream, but you'll forgive me if I don't take seriously the ideas on work reform that come from someone called "anarchism"...

That would be an ad hom fallacy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anarchism101
That would be an ad hom fallacy

Possibly, but as your assertion isn't based on any form of political or economic reality, I'm going with it.
Original post by Drewski
Any workplace worth its salt has contingency plans that can see them through a day or two of hardship. After that, it very much depends on the business.

But I note you haven't even acknowledged my first question to you, so I'll repeat it:

And there are already public sector roles in this country where it is illegal to strike. Why aren't you complaining about that?

Lol, most places can barely cope with a 1 day strike. Cope with 2-3 days? Pull the other one!

I do. So much for your groundbreaking question. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending