The Student Room Group

Discussion time: Do people choose to be gay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RedManc
I didn't mean to offend you, I just meant the more richer the country gets it seems that the more gay people there are. In the 70's there weren't that much gay people. There is nothing wrong with being gay. I live in a working class community (High Green) and there is only a few gay people. I understand how I might have accidentally upset you, I'am not that good with words and sometimes I might be misunderstood. However, my point is I know a gay person who was influenced by Brokeback Mountain.

You didn't offend me. I can see you are a reasonable person. But I would have to disagree with you on all points. In the 70's, society was not as accepting as it is today. What happens? People don't tell people what they feel, or who they are attracted to. They do it in secret, don't do it, or live never having really lived as themselves. The more liberated, accepting a country is, the more gay or bisexual or transgender people they will have because they are no longer feeling trapped in to a corner, repressed. No man with sole sexual attraction to women has ever watched Brokeback Mountain, and immediately felt the need or desire to have relations with the men. It may ignite repressed, or unwanted attraction that is already there, but it does not alter it. Read up on the kinsey scale.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd say that being gay isn't a choice, but people obviously have a choice over who they date. Attraction isn't a conscious choice if you're straight and it's the same for any other sexuality. (I have lots of complex ideas about sexuality I'm too ill to properly coordinate without looking stupid but that's the essence of it)
Original post by FGSFez
Its Media profiling. Gay people are vastly over represented when it comes to celebrities

And examples include....? I can't think of anything recent that involves anyone coming out, or anyone praising that side of the public.
I believe that it is a consequence of rejecting God. When someone rejecte God and chooses not to follow him, they fall into a life of sin.
Original post by RedManc
Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up. For example, most gay people are middle class. There are hardly any working class gay people.

I really like your sentiments - I find myself verily attracted to your candid personification of a pilchard.
Original post by BigAsianBoi
I believe that it is a consequence of rejecting God. When someone rejecte God and chooses not to follow him, they fall into a life of sin.

Nice one 'BigAsainBoi', but bringing religion into this really isn't going to get the discussion anywhere. As with the nature of religion, you simply cannot win, faith vs scientific proof don't mix and persuasion is thrown out the window.
Original post by Drez999
I really like your sentiments - I find myself verily attracted to your candid personification of a pilchard.

What is a pilchard
Original post by RedManc
What is a pilchard

An oily fish.
Original post by Drez999
An oily fish.

I don't mind being a pilchard. It's good to eat oily fishes. They've got Omega 3.
Original post by RedManc
I don't mind being a pilchard. It's good to eat oily fishes. They've got Omega 3.

Indeed.
Reply 130
Original post by Satsuko
I think that straight people are represented more in the media than gay people :tongue:

Compare the demographics to the nation's demographics you will find out they are over represented
Reply 131
wether they choose or not does it mattter. everyone has a right to love who they want. its no big deal. so what if they choose. should they be banned from choosing.
If it's a choice then why does it crop up over and over again in the most repressive societies throughout history.Why don't you ask the gay man in Nazi Germany in the concentration camp whether it's a choice? This whole it's a choice thing comes from so called Christian morality.Frankly preventing generations of people from expressing love and making them live miserable lives is the very opposite of moral.That is what is truly shameful here.
Yes, they do. I chose to become gay on 5th November 2007. I celebrated by sticking firework up my ass. It felt nice.
Original post by 0to100

go for it, Connor #1

Fixed it for you m8

Spoiler

I'm not entirely sure why anyone would choose to be gay when you're more likely to be suffer ill-treatment than someone who is straight. Certainly, for example, why would anyone from a religious family actually choose to want to be gay as it could well cause some fairly major issues.
I personally think genetics must play the biggest role but environmental factors could play a part too.
Original post by FGSFez
Compare the demographics to the nation's demographics you will find out they are over represented

Where are you getting the nation's demographics from, because I question their accuracy unless you've got mind reading powers.
Maybe they're born gay, maybe they're not.
Hypothetically, if the latter were proven true, you'd see a lot of parents trying to discipline their children. The sad truth is, even if homosexuals aren't born that way, they're how they are because of extraneous variables and experiences they probably had as children, so it's not as simple as saying it's a choice. Psychological conditioning can do a lot to a person.
Reply 138
Original post by AperfectBalance
I think it is 90% choice 10%other factors. your enviroment heavily shapes you and that is the main reason.

Then how do you explain gay kids that grow up in homophobic households??
Original post by RedManc
Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up. For example, most gay people are middle class. There are hardly any working class gay people.

No, they don't chose to be gay. I have 7 children, all brought up the same way and two of them are gay. Not sure where you get the 'class' thing from - probably how you were brought up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending