The Student Room Group

Jamaican culture

Over the years I have noticed an increasing number of (usually lower class?) white British youngsters, and more recently Asian youngsters, embracing Jamaican culture.

This includes:

The use of Jamaican urban slang.

Jamaican body language and mannerism.

Dressing in a style common amongst younger Jamaicans.

Musical tastes of younger Jamaicans.

It's reached a point where it's commonplace to find a young white or Asian person who acts and speaks just like a Jamaican in the presence of other young Jamaicans. Sometimes they even go further and act and speak like a Jamaican even if no Jamaicans are around.

Is the culture of one small Island nation really a sensible culture to follow?

Why is Jamaican culture so popular amongst the younger generation compared with say Indian or Chinese culture?

It is a culture that I have very little knowledge of as I have never had any Jamaican friends so far.

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion i think this is because Jamaica is seen as a 'cool' culture/place.

I think it comes from Celebrities such as Bob Marley and the whole smoking the you know what thing.

Also i have noticed myself a lot of celebrities, Mostly musical are using Jamaican slang so younger people see this and probably sometimes don't even realise they are doing it.
Reply 2
Original post by Arran90

Why is Jamaican culture so popular amongst the younger generation compared with say Indian or Chinese culture?

Having just visited Jamaica in January, and having just written a coursework piece on Jamaican language use in the British Isles, I think I'm at a decent place to answer this.

Jamaican culture is very laid-back - think about Rasta as a religion and think about the popularity of cannabis. While crime rates in Jamaica are relatively high due to the amount of poverty in the island, the people are very nice. You can't go anywhere without being greeted, complimented, chatted to, in Jamaica. Not to mention the food is amazing.

After World War II there was a large influx of Caribbean migrants welcomed to the UK due to the need for skilled workers. Many of these migrants formed enclaves around the large cities. Over the years, it is inevitable that Caribbean words would enter the English language. It is also likely that we will see many European words coming into our language, after the influx of A8 European migrants that came in due to the enlargement of the EU in 2004.

If we get a large influx of Indian or Chinese migrants into the UK, we can expect the same thing to happen over the years. There are already aspects of their language in ours right now. For example: you would never hear the phrase "I'm lovin' it" in English a few decades ago. It would be "I love it". "I'm lovin' it" is actually an example of how Asian Englishes have impacted the English we use today.

If you're interested, David Crystal sums up a lot of good points in this video:

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by Colorplause
Jamaicans have contributed nothing to the world. How many White/Asian inventions do Jamaicans use? How many White/Asian medicines do Jamaicans use?

Yet, you don't see us complaining, do you?
Jamaicans leech of our cultures more than we leech of theirs.

That is the single most ignorant thing I have ever read on TSR.
Original post by Amefish
That is the single most ignorant thing I have ever read on TSR.

Ok, tell me some Jamaican inventions/discoveries that have changed the world for good. I'm waiting....
Reply 5
Ok, tell me some Jamaican inventions/discoveries that have changed the world for good. I'm waiting....

Dr Lecky developed two new breeds of cattle that can thrive in hot conditions, for which he was awarded for his work in genetics and cattle breeding.

The ortanique plant - a cross between a tangerine and orange.

Canasol eye drops which treat glaucoma.

The drug Asmasol which is used to treat asthma, colds and the flu.

The "JaipurKnee", providing affordable prosthetic knees to thousands of people in India.

Solo sunrise papaya, which is resistant to the Ring Spot disease.

Alpha prostate formula 1, which reduces prostate cancer

A compound discovered from Guinea Hen Weed, which can help to treat cancer.

Contributed to the Global Civil Rights movement

Reggae!! A global movement for peace, equality and justice.

Rastafari

Rasta culture

Export products, such as Blue Mountain Coffee and Jerk seasoning.

Discovered the cause of the disease Kwashiorkor

and the list goes on...
Original post by Amefish

Dr Lecky developed two new breeds of cattle that can thrive in hot conditions, for which he was awarded for his work in genetics and cattle breeding.

The "JaipurKnee", providing affordable prosthetic knees to thousands of people in India.

Rastafari

Rasta culture

and the list goes on...

1. This hasn't changed the world
2. This hasn't changed the world
3. This hasn't changed the world
4. This hasn't changed the world
5.This hasn't changed the world
6.This hasn't changed the world
7.This hasn't changed the world
8.This hasn't changed the world
9.This hasn't changed the world
10.This hasn't changed the world
11.This hasn't changed the world
12.This hasn't changed the world
13.This hasn't changed the world
14.This hasn't changed the world
15. This hasn't changed the world

Try again pls
Reply 7
Try again pls

Get your head out of your racist arse.
Original post by Amefish
Get your head out of your racist arse.

Wait, so I'm racist but the person that made this thread isn't? Nice double standards
Original post by Amefish

Rastafari

Rasta culture

and the list goes on...

Not to mention the delicious cuisine! I have been to the Carnival and quite a few food festivals, now I have learned how to make an amazing curry goat :yep:

Ignore the xenophobe, I know Jamaicans and Caribbean Brits who are contributing far more to society than racist trash ever will.
Original post by WBZ144
Not to mention the delicious cuisine! I have been to the Carnival and quite a few food festivals, now I have learned how to make an amazing curry goat :yep:

Ignore the xenophobe, I know Jamaicans and Caribbean Brits who are contributing far more to society than racist trash ever will.

AND JERK CHICKEN! :drool: I have been craving that jerk chicken ever since I got home
Some of the slang used in London, is from patois.
Original post by Amefish
AND JERK CHICKEN! :drool: I have been craving that jerk chicken ever since I got home

Yup, I mainly avoid meat nowadays but it's delish. With rice and peas or chapati :biggrin:

What are your 'inventions'? Have you 'invented/discovered' anything that has changed the world?

....by your logic, you are a leech...
Reply 14
How does religion factor into the situation? Jamaicans tend to be more religious on average than lower class white British youngsters are but religion is certainly not why Jamaican culture is so attractive.
How has nobody mentioned Rastamouse?

[video="youtube;4ZCvydOxcq0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZCvydOxcq0[/video]
Reply 16
What intrigues me is that the majority of Jamaicans are Protestant Christians but they have not adopted the same Protestant mentality of white north Europeans. Even white north Europeans of Protestant origin who are not religious or even atheist tend to stick to these values unless they are part of a progressive or liberal minority - like the Green Party. Amefish states that Jamaican culture is very laid-back whereas Protestant north European culture is built on a bedrock of hard work, financial self reliance, good behaviour and respecting the law, and doing well at school academically. Lounging and scrounging is deplorable behaviour yet thousands of Jamaicans Britain are more than happy to live off benefits for years on end whilst filling their day to day lives with fun and enjoyment.

It has been suggested that drug dealing is rife amongst the Jamaican community not because of poverty or racial discrimination, but because Jamaicans are naturally workshy people who do not want to spend their lives as corporate cattle.
Original post by Arran90
Over the years I have noticed an increasing number of (usually lower class?) white British youngsters, and more recently Asian youngsters, embracing Jamaican culture.

This includes:

The use of Jamaican urban slang.

Jamaican body language and mannerism.

Dressing in a style common amongst younger Jamaicans.

Musical tastes of younger Jamaicans.

It's reached a point where it's commonplace to find a young white or Asian person who acts and speaks just like a Jamaican in the presence of other young Jamaicans. Sometimes they even go further and act and speak like a Jamaican even if no Jamaicans are around.

It is a culture that I have very little knowledge of as I have never had any Jamaican friends so far.

Cash me ousside how bow dat

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. This hasn't changed the world
2. This hasn't changed the world
3. This hasn't changed the world
4. This hasn't changed the world
5.This hasn't changed the world
6.This hasn't changed the world
7.This hasn't changed the world
8.This hasn't changed the world
9.This hasn't changed the world
10.This hasn't changed the world
11.This hasn't changed the world
12.This hasn't changed the world
13.This hasn't changed the world
14.This hasn't changed the world
15. This hasn't changed the world

Try again pls

Your ignorance is appalling. It's actually quite funny how much of an idiotic troll you are.
Reply 19
In contrast to Jamaican Culture, why has Chinese culture made virtually no impact into British (or any other western) society despite China being one of the world's superpower nations? The world population of Jamaican / Jamaican heritage people is less than that of a medium sized city in China.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending