The Student Room Group

Police give out free heroin to addicts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39179504

Why bother creating centres where these people can get help and cure their addictions when you can facilitate their habit so they never quit?

Scroll to see replies

That's so stupid
I think the thing about most hard addicts is that they are going to do it anyway and having a safe place to go and a controlled enviroment is important. Heroin addiction is so much more intense than that and many addicts don't even want to quit
I don't know drug addicts disgust me. I don't do any drugs, not even alcohol.
They are going to get their fix, either way, it's better that they don't end up in the hospital due to not using a clean needle and an impure substance than to go out on the streets looking for it and commit crimes in order to get money to pay for the drugs.
Wow these comments just reek of shortsightedness.

Did no one read about the evidence that suggests that these centres will reduce harm and addiction?
Reply 6
Depends on the degree of addiction, but this is understandable. As far as I'm aware, heroin is a very, very addictive drug, and most of its dangers lie in the possibility of overdosing or complications from unclean needles. Having it administered medically removes these dangers, removes the need for people to resort to criminal behaviour, and could well be used to wean someone off it (though this would obviously be difficult).
Not to mention that most of the social consequences of heroin use (on top of the many individual consequences) stem from people only being able to get it from criminal dealers. If they don't have to pay extortionate prices to drug gangs, they don't have to steal from the rest of us or beg or find other ways to feed their habit, and that money doesn't get passed on to some of the most truly evil people in society (drug gangsters).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
the centres aren't there to help addicts continue to abuse substances... You stick a heroin addict in prison, they'll just find a way to get it in prison in an uncontrolled environment, probably overdosing or catching something from a shared needle. If they're still alive when they get out, they'll still be addicted to heroin and will carry on just as they did before they went to prison.

It has been proven that treating these people more like ill patients than criminals reduces the number of substance abusers and therefore reduces drug-related deaths

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-decriminalised-drugs-14-years-ago-and-now-hardly-anyone-dies-from-overdosing-10301780.html
Obviously you don't make them go cold turkey as they'll probably die but just because "they're going to do it anyway" doesn't mean we should be encouraging them.

These addicts should be getting treated in a safe place with professionals.
Original post by AishaGirl
Obviously you don't make them go cold turkey as they'll probably die but just because "they're going to do it anyway" doesn't mean we should be encouraging them.

These addicts should be getting treated in a safe place with professionals.

Well the alternative to these centres is going cold turkey but with professionals giving "tips and advice", don't think words of encourage are going to help that much more when they're having physical issues.
Original post by Vikingninja
Well the alternative to these centres is going cold turkey but with professionals giving "tips and advice", don't think words of encourage are going to help that much more when they're having physical issues.

I think you're both misunderstanding, perhaps I should have been clearer. I mean centres with professionals at treating people with drug addictions. Like rehab centres and stuff.

You don't go cold turkey in a rehab centre do you? :s-smilie: I'm pretty sure they ween you off slowly.
It can help users. They will be much safer and have a better chance of living a normal life. It may also reduce crime.

It's a mixed message though. Are drugs illegal or not? It's legalisation through the back door. I don't have a problem with that but if that is the policy, politicians should be straight with the electorate about that. It undermines the rule of law.
Original post by AishaGirl
I think you're both misunderstanding, perhaps I should have been clearer. I mean centres with professionals at treating people with drug addictions. Like rehab centres and stuff.

You don't go cold turkey in a rehab centre do you? :s-smilie: I'm pretty sure they ween you off slowly.

"Cold turkey" describes the abrupt cessation of a substance dependence and the resulting unpleasant experience, as opposed to gradually easing the process through reduction over time or by using replacement medication.

You're complaining about how this system gives people smaller doses to help reduce the addiction yet by this definition and how you worded you post you are saying that rehab do this system as well... which they don't. The only way that rehab isn't cold turkey is that they give you alternate medication which has its side effects... bet that helps people with the process as well as this and again you still suffer side effects from the addiction.
The drug addicts need to be banged up, not just given even more of the stuff.
Original post by Mr. Bojangles
The drug addicts need to be banged up, not just given even more of the stuff.

Because banging up every addict will cure their addiction and turn their life around?
Original post by Twinpeaks
Because banging up every addict will cure their addiction and turn their life around?

Putting the addicts in prison is the best solution for everyone - the addicts have no access to drugs and the public no longer have to put up with them.
This isn't really news, users have been given methadone for years haven't they? Which is just as addictive as heroin, don't see what the big news is, methadone/ diamorphine, potato/ potahto
Original post by Mr. Bojangles
Putting the addicts in prison is the best solution for everyone - the addicts have no access to drugs and the public no longer have to put up with them.

And what about when they are released?
Unless you're a heroin addict you have no idea how hard it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending