The Student Room Group

Why do Asians care more about classical music than Europeans?

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You ever tried to dance to that ****?
Original post by Mathemagicien
By Asians, I mean the clever ones with glasses.

Things like this sometimes make me hopeful for a Eurasian state.

Why have Europeans turned their backs on their great musical heritage? While Europeans are twerking to American ghetto music, the Asians are keeping our musical heritage alive.

Why it worry you?

I rike Chinee food, but I not wan be Charrie Chan you ronery sirry iriot?
Classical European culture is being eroded by a lack of promotion of such culture to our youth. Multiculturalism also plays a large role in eroding our classical culture.
Heard of a waltz? It is proper dance music.

If they aren't energetic enough, there are always the military marches.

It is boring and outdated. That still isn't energetic enough, I much prefer Israeli trance. Now they are people who know how to party.
It's more of a novelty for non-Europeans I guess. Playing western instruments/using western scales and modes is probably quite exciting in the same way playing something like erhu or sitar music is for westerners?
It is strange how acceptable racism is when it is against asians, when similar things would be seen as absolutely deplorable when against the blacks. Many Asians may have trouble pronouncing words, but at least they aren't completely ruining our language with a ton of idiotic slang...

Not racism dear chap, simply facetious satire. Look it up in the dictionary, you will find it next to 'mathemagicien the troll'.

Languages evolve or had you not noticed?

Most people struggle with Shakespeare's English let alone Chaucer.
There are many other occasions to listen to music, apart from when dancing... and many extremely energetic songs that aren't the tasteless American trash that is so popular.

I also listen to energetic music when I work and when I'm not doing anything at all. I don't listen to popular trash because it is exactly that.

For some reason the Israelis have a real passion for good EDM.
Reply 8
They don't.
Reply 9
Europeans generally are more proud of their (actual or imagined) tribal roots than their civilised roots. Classical music has associations with empire, so Europeans would rather not listen to that as it makes them ashamed. Everyone can be proud of their tribe though without coming across as hateful, so tribal-like music (modern music) is accepted.
Reply 10
Why have Europeans turned their backs on their great musical heritage? While Europeans are twerking to American ghetto music, the Asians are keeping our musical heritage alive.

That would imply it was universally popular at one point, which it wasn't. But considering we still have dedicated classical radio stations, TV shows and music festivals such as the Proms, would suggest it is still popular with a significant portion of the population.

Original post by Willy Pete
You ever tried to dance to that ****?

[video="youtube;GGU1P6lBW6Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q[/video]

Who cares about dancing? You could invade an inferior country to this! Lets see you do the same with some Justin Biebler crap.
Original post by Wōden
Who cares about dancing? You could invade an inferior country to this! Lets see you do the same with some Justin Biebler crap.

You could certainly invade a country and lose playing that.

I care about dancing, I could certainly pick out a few good tracks to invade a country to (and win).
Reply 12
I don't think modern trash is a celebration of tribal roots... nor do I really think there is an association of Mozart to Empire...

[video="youtube;94dY-QxjDiE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94dY-QxjDiE[/video]
Though I guess one could argue that classical-style music does have Imperial connotations

Modern music is extremely tribal and the imagery more so

Original post by AYNTDIS
Europeans generally are more proud of their (actual or imagined) tribal roots

The only even vaguely tribal music would be Tribe, a variation of the trance more specifically Psytrance. Something like this.

[video="youtube;0QQ2LNJq2zM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQ2LNJq2zM[/video]
Reply 14

Drum beats themselves are inherently tribal when used repeatedly. Modern music has inherited a lot from tribal music.
Original post by AYNTDIS
Drum beats themselves are inherently tribal when used repeatedly. Modern music has inherited a lot from tribal music.

Modern music is not tribal in the slightest. Tribe is tribal at its core.
Reply 16
Modern music is not tribal in the slightest. Tribe is tribal at its core.

Nobody cares about your *****y genre tastes LOL. Denying that modern music is tribal is ridiculous. Just compare it to classical. There is almost zero influence from classical music on modern music, so where else did it come from?
Original post by AYNTDIS
Denying that modern music is tribal is ridiculous. Just compare it to classical. There is almost zero influence from classical music on modern music, so where else did it come from?

A quick Google search would show you how wrong you are.
Reply 18

the first result of searching "what is 2 plus 2" is a wikipedia article on 2 + 2 = 5
Original post by AYNTDIS
the first result of searching "what is 2 plus 2" is a wikipedia article on 2 + 2 = 5

Wrong again, try harder.

Capture.PNG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending